ATD 2020 Draft Thread V

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
RED FISHER CONFERENCE:
Ottawa Senators – Pittsburgh Athletic Club 3-4 (last game did not go to OT, but two other games did)
1st star Mark Messier, 2nd star Jean Béliveau, 3rd star Georges Vézina

JIM COLEMAN CONFERENCE:
Chicago Cougars – Orillia Terriers 3-4 (last game went to 2nd OT)
1st star Gordie Howe, 2nd star Mike Bossy, 3rd star King Clancy
No wrong answers for either of these ones, I think. Two that absolutely could have gone either way.

Also, another First Star skater for the losing side.

Johnny Bower in Game 7s...

Reactions: ImporterExporter

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
No wrong answers for either of these ones, I think. Two that absolutely could have gone either way.

Also, another First Star skater for the losing side.

Johnny Bower in Game 7s...

I've noticed that first stars tend to just be the best players in the series.

When I vote for stars, I try to vote for what decides the series for me. If I think the skaters are similar, but goaltending is the difference, I'll vote a goaltender first. If I think one team's secondary scoring wins it for them, I vote a second liner first.

But the way voting works, if we all vote for our "difference maker" first and the "best player" second or third, and have different difference makers, the best players in the series will usually just end up being the first stars. It's kind of lame, but I don't see how to make it better.

I like "three stars" for flavor, but I hope we never have to use it as a tiebreak again.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I've noticed that first stars tend to just be the best players in the series.

When I vote for stars, I try to vote for what decides the series for me. If I think the skaters are similar, but goaltending is the difference, I'll vote a goaltender first. If I think one team's secondary scoring wins it for them, I vote a second liner first.

But the way voting works, if we all vote for our "difference maker" first and the "best player" second or third, and have different difference makers, the best players in the series will usually just end up being the first stars. It's kind of lame, but I don't see how to make it better.

I like "three stars" for flavor, but I hope we never have to use it as a tiebreak again.

Well said.

I'll also piggyback off that and say I look very hard at who the F and D are matching up against. Not just who are the best players but who I think will be able to actually perform at optimum levels. Obviously scheme plays a part in that and I generally look for folks to explain how they're going to deploy their lines, pairings, etc.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
What if we'll have real votes instead of imaginary "real" scores (4:3 or 4:2)?
What do you think?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I mean - we have, say, 14 people who vote. 6 for team "A", 8 for team "B". The announced result will be "B - A 8:6" (not 4:3 or smth).

The thing is: There are series where everyone agrees that the teams are close and the series will go to seven games. But almost all the voters think team A wins it in game 7. So you'd have a lop-sided result like 12-2. Another series isn't close and almost everyone has team C winning 4-0 or 4-1 or 4-2. Only two voters think team D wins. Result: Both series end with the same result, 12-2, even though one was universally considered close and the other wasn't.

Reactions: VanIslander

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It does no good to think of votes once the result is released. It is final. It is more fun to hear you won in 6 games or lost in game 7 OT.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
The thing is: There are series where everyone agrees that the teams are close and the series will go to seven games. But almost all the voters think team A wins it in game 7. So you'd have a lop-sided result like 12-2. Another series isn't close and almost everyone has team C winning 4-0 or 4-1 or 4-2. Only two voters think team D wins. Result: Both series end with the same result, 12-2, even though one was universally considered close and the other wasn't.
I prefer 12-2.
But it's up to GMs, off course.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
It would be nice to see full results released after the Finals. With voter names hidden of course, but something like this for each series:

Team A in 5: 1
Team A in 6: 4
Team A in 7: 6
Team B in 7: 5
Team B in 6: 2

That would be a lot of extra work for @Theokritos though, so understand if it doesn't happen

It could be done pretty quickly, so why not.

EDIT: I didn't read properly. What I meant is posting the number of ballots in favour of each teams (e.g. 12-2 or 8-6) could be done pretty quickly. Posting the full results as suggested by @Hawkey Town 18 would be a lot of work indeed.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
16 ballots received.

RED FISHER CONFERENCE:

Baltimore Skipjacks – Pittsburgh Athletic Club 2-4
1st star Jean Béliveau, 2nd star Georges Vézina, 3rd star Duncan Keith

JIM COLEMAN CONFERENCE:

New Jersey Swamp Devils – Orillia Terriers 4-3
1st star Guy Lafleur, 2nd star Gordie Howe, 3rd star Earl Seibert

Voters:
@BenchBrawl
@ChiTownPhilly
@Claude The Fraud
@Dreakmur
@Habsfan18
@Hawkey Town 18
@ImporterExporter
@Johnny Engine
@MadArcand
@nabby12
@Namba 17
@ResilientBeast
@rmartin65
@TheDevilMadeMe
@tinyzombies
@tony d

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
16 ballots received.

RED FISHER CONFERENCE:

Baltimore Skipjacks – Pittsburgh Athletic Club 2-4
1st star Jean Béliveau, 2nd star Georges Vézina, 3rd star Duncan Keith

JIM COLEMAN CONFERENCE:

New Jersey Swamp Devils – Orillia Terriers 4-3
1st star Guy Lafleur, 2nd star Gordie Howe, 3rd star Earl Seibert

Voters:
@BenchBrawl
@ChiTownPhilly
@Claude The Fraud
@Dreakmur
@Habsfan18
@Hawkey Town 18
@ImporterExporter
@Johnny Engine
@MadArcand
@nabby12
@Namba 17
@ResilientBeast
@rmartin65
@TheDevilMadeMe
@tinyzombies
@tony d

@VanIslander @Habsfan18 @Dreakmur

Thank you guys for the efforts and great series! Really appreciate the contributions and Van thank you for getting some discussion in.

Dreak, you did a strong job making pitches for Orillia. You had one of the best top 6's in the draft. Nothing to be upset about getting to the final 4.

@TheDevilMadeMe

To be honest, I figured this might be the final match up. Wouldn't want to go up against anyone but you, looking to earn my first ATD title!

Looking forward to some good debate and a strong ending to a really fantastic draft all around.

Thanks everyone who continues to check in and vote!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad