ATD 2019 Lineup Advice Thread

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I kind of liked the Hooley Smith and Babe Dye combo. They really complimented each other. Dickie Moore with Stan Mikita and Martin St. Louis was a good all-around line too.

That's pretty thin there. Pulford looks to be the only guy with a good history of being a captain, right?

Hooley Smith was captain of the Maroons as far as I know, and they won a cup under his captainship.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I kind of liked the Hooley Smith and Babe Dye combo. They really complimented each other. Dickie Moore with Stan Mikita and Martin St. Louis was a good all-around line too. That's pretty thin there. Pulford looks to be the only guy with a good history of being a captain, right?
Ok. Perhaps I jumped the gun/was a little too ambitious about changing my original lineup. Mikita was an A and and served as interim captain twice before retiring in 1979-80.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So yeah, I'd go Hooley Smith, Harvey Pulford and Larry Robinson, with either Pulford or Smith as captain.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
So yeah, I'd go Hooley Smith, Harvey Pulford and Larry Robinson, with either Pulford or Smith as captain.
Ok. Do you guys like Keats as the 2C and Hooley as the 3C? I do.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't think the Maroons had a captain at that time. Actually, I've never seen anything indicating that they've ever had any named captain.

You have any good sources?

I just verified by key word searching ''hooley smith captain'' for 1935 on newspapers.com, and indeed I got many hits e.g. ''Captain Hooley Smith went on a scoring spree'' from the Montreal Gazette.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I just verified by key word searching ''hooley smith captain'' for 1935 on newspapers.com, and indeed I got many hits e.g. ''Captain Hooley Smith went on a scoring spree'' from the Montreal Gazette.

From what year to what year?

Edit:

Of all the places I found the info.... Wikipedia lol.

1932-36.
Preceded by Nels Steward, and succeeded by Lionel Conacher.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
"Smith was named captain of the Maroons and was their captain when the team won its final Stanley Cup in 1935." Hooley Smith - Wikipedia

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
From what year to what year?

Edit:

Of all the places I found the info.... Wikipedia lol.

1932-36.
Preceded by Nels Steward, and succeeded by Lionel Conacher.

I got some hits from 1934 and 1933 right now. ''Hooley Smith, captain and star of the Maroons''

Edit: OK you got it

Wikipedia is actually a very good source, not to be underestimated.As long as you can trace back their own source.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I got some hits from 1934 and 1933 right now. ''Hooley Smith, captain and star of the Maroons''

Edit: OK you got it

Wikipedia is actually a very good source, not to be underestimated.As long as you can trace back their own source.

I usually use elite prospects as my first shot. verify on hockey-ref.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I usually use elite prospects as my first shot. verify on hockey-ref.

Subscribe to newspapers.com, it's like google archive from the good days, except better.

The fact you can search key words is a huge bonus.

19$ a month.I use it in the ATD months

It is worth it if you can afford it.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
"Digging" Dickie Moore - Stan Mikita - Martin St Louis
Paul Thompson - Duke Keats - Babe Dye
Hooley Smith - Punch Broadbent

Larry Robinson - Erik Karlsson
Carl Brewer - Harvey Pulford
Allan Stanley

Any advice on letters, lineup, or special teams would be greatly appreciated.

Swap St Louis and Dye. Your first line as currently constituted has 3 pass-first players. Dye is about as one-dimensional a goal scorer as you can get, and he'd be a perfect fit there.

The slow Keats needs St. Louis' dynamic skating, plus Keats is pretty balanced between goals and assist
I believe Harvey Pulford was captain of the Silver Seven Ottawa team, so he'd be my first choice for your team, but you don't have a player who screams natural ATD captain. I guess Keats and Broadbent for the As?

Edit: After reading BB's posts, Hooley and Robinson could wear As too, I suppose.

Reactions: Namba 17

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Swap St Louis and Dye. Your first line as currently constituted has 3 pass-first players. Dye is about as one-dimensional a goal scorer as you can get, and he'd be a perfect fit there.

The slow Keats needs St. Louis' dynamic skating, plus Keats is pretty balanced between goals and assist
I believe Harvey Pulford was captain of the Silver Seven Ottawa team, so he'd be my first choice for your team, but you don't have a player who screams natural ATD captain. I guess Keats and Broadbent for the As?

Edit: After reading BB's posts, Hooley and Robinson could wear As too, I suppose.
Thanks

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Looking for some thoughts and feedback please on what I’ve built so far. Thinking in terms of captaincy and special teams.

—————————————————-
Doug Bentley - Howie Morenz - Andy Bathgate
Markus Naslund - Evgeni Malkin - Alfredsson
Herbie Lewis - Darryl Sittler - RW
LW - C - RW

Bill Gadsby - Chris Chelios
Ebbie Goodfellow - Brad McCrimmon
Babe Pratt - RD

Turk Broda
G2
—————————————————-

Ebbie Goodfellow - C
Darryl Sittler - A
Chris Chelios/Bill Gadsby - A

Does that look okay? Thoughts on Goodfellow being a potential ATD captain?

As for special teams:

Unit 1 PP:
Bentley..Morenz..Bathgate..Malkin..Chelios

Unit 2 PP:
Naslund..Sittler..Alfredsson..Pratt..Goodfellow

Would Pratt and Goodfellow work on the PP together considering they are both LD?

As for PK forwards, I think Herbie Lewis is my only definite option right now? On D..McCrimmon, Chelios, Gadsby and Goodfellow can all play the PK.

Just looking for feedback. Thanks!

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Any advice on my team thus far? Specific player types to target, who gets letters, type of coach I should go after, special teams?:

Toe Blake-Wayne Gretzky-Mike Bossy
Michel Goulet-Ron Francis-Steve Larmer
Rod Bridnamour-

King Clancy-Serge Savard
JC Tremblay-Bll White
Alexander Ragulin

Tony Esposito

I'd like to have a good defensive line in my bottom 6, I think Brindamour's a start but would like more pure defensive wingers, the other bottom 6 line could be an energy line.

For letters I'm going with Gretzky as C, Blake and Clancy to get letters as well. What about Francis?

I'm scouting coaches, some good names there still, I think one who is more offensive minded would be in my best interests.

Special teams for me right now would be.

PP 1: Goulet, Gretzky, Bossy, Francis, Clancy
PP 2: Blake, Brindamour, Larmer, Tremblay, Ragulin

PK 1: Blake, Brindamour, Savard, White
PK 2: Goulet, Francis, Clancy, Ragulin

Any feedback is welcome.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Any advice on my team thus far? Specific player types to target, who gets letters, type of coach I should go after, special teams?:

Rod Bridnamour-

King Clancy-Serge Savard
JC Tremblay-Bll White
Alexander Ragulin

Tony Esposito

I'd like to have a good defensive line in my bottom 6, I think Brindamour's a start but would like more pure defensive wingers, the other bottom 6 line could be an energy line.

For letters I'm going with Gretzky as C, Blake and Clancy to get letters as well. What about Francis?

I'm scouting coaches, some good names there still, I think one who is more offensive minded would be in my best interests.

Any feedback is welcome.
Your plan for the rest of your team and coach seems solid to me, looking good so far Tony.

Captains, I'd probably go Francis over Clancy for the 2nd A personally.

I'd say you need some role players in your bottom 6 for your special teams. Most notably, I wouldn't want Brind'Amour or Ragulin on a PP unit. You mentioned getting some pure defensive wingers, good idea, your PK could use them.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Looking for some thoughts and feedback please on what I’ve built so far. Thinking in terms of captaincy and special teams.

—————————————————-
Doug Bentley - Howie Morenz - Andy Bathgate
Markus Naslund - Evgeni Malkin - Alfredsson
Herbie Lewis - Darryl Sittler - RW
LW - C - RW

Bill Gadsby - Chris Chelios
Ebbie Goodfellow - Brad McCrimmon
Babe Pratt - RD

Turk Broda
G2
—————————————————-

Ebbie Goodfellow - C
Darryl Sittler - A
Chris Chelios/Bill Gadsby - A

Does that look okay? Thoughts on Goodfellow being a potential ATD captain?

As for special teams:

Unit 1 PP:
Bentley..Morenz..Bathgate..Malkin..Chelios

Unit 2 PP:
Naslund..Sittler..Alfredsson..Pratt..Goodfellow

Would Pratt and Goodfellow work on the PP together considering they are both LD?

As for PK forwards, I think Herbie Lewis is my only definite option right now? On D..McCrimmon, Chelios, Gadsby and Goodfellow can all play the PK.

Just looking for feedback. Thanks!

Just trying to answer your specific questions:

1) Of the players you already drafted, Goodfellow is the best choice for captain I think. Give Chelios an A. Other A to either Sittler or Alfredsson.
2) You have an embarrassment of riches in terms of forwards who can play the point on the PP - Bathgate, Bentley, Alfredsson, Malkin. Bathgate and Bentley in particular are famous for it.
3) Of your actual defensemen, I think Gadsby is by far your best PP option.
4) Pratt and Goodfellow would be ok; obviously getting a righty out there is nice though.
5) Yes, I think Lewis is your only definite PK forward. Alfredsson and Bentley could be depth PKers if need be.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Rod Bridnamour-

King Clancy-Serge Savard
JC Tremblay-Bll White
Alexander Ragulin

Tony Esposito

Any feedback is welcome.

I disagree with Stoneberg - I think Clancy is easily your player most worthy of an A (after Gretzky gets the C). Serge Savard would actually be my second choice for an A, but it's kind of redundant with him as Clancy's partner. So I'd give the other A to Blake or Francis.

I'm not sure why you swapped Goulet and Blake on the PP? Is it because Blake is on PK1? He's a pretty good depth penalty killer, but you can draft better before this thing is over. Other than Blake (who is ok but not great), your top PK is excellent.

I don't like Brind'amour and Larmer on the PP together - I think either can be the gritty net guy, but better to replace one of them with someone more dynamic. Moving Francis to PP2 and Tremblay to PP1 is an option - depends on who you draft going forward.

Reactions: tony d

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad