ATD 2019 Lineup Advice Thread

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Guys like Pilote and Bathgate were great players and absolutely worth getting drafted where they were.

But why would you even consider giving them letters in this?

Is giving a guy who was a long time Captain and captained a cup winning team the 2nd A really that bad?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
He was a C for 3 years for a team that went nowhere. I mean, you have to have better options than that for leadership by the time this is through, right?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Is giving a guy who was a long time Captain and captained a cup winning team the 2nd A really that bad?

You're right that being a long time captain during a 6 team era isn't trivial... and looking it up, Pilote was captain for longer than I thought he was.

That said, Pilote was captain from 1962-1968 (NOT 1961) when the team regularly underachieved in the playoffs, and I'm not sure if I've read anything praising him for his leadership

Reactions: ResilientBeast

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
You're right that being a long time captain during a 6 team era isn't trivial... and looking it up, Pilote was captain for longer than I thought he was.

That said, Pilote was captain from 1962-1968 (NOT 1961) when the team regularly underachieved in the playoffs, and I'm not sure if I've read anything praising him for his leadership

Fair enough, I think Kennedy and Vasiliev are good to great leaders so that 3rd letter isn't something I'm supremely concerned about, but good to know

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Here's 5 of my top 6, pleased with the players I've gotten so far, any feedback and suggestions would be awesome:

Toe Blake-Wayne Gretzky-Mike Bossy
Michel Goulet-Ron Francis

I'm wondering, specifically, the type of player I target with that 2nd line RW spot, a power forward or goal scorer.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So I've been planning my next few picks, and I'm at a cross.

I'm stuck between two scenarios. One is arguably better value, but there is a higher likelihood that the next guy I want wont be around in 27 picks. The other one is a bit of a reach (but a minor one), but I think the next player will be there when I pick almost for sure. Both scenarios feature players with similar attributes .

Any advice?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Here's 5 of my top 6, pleased with the players I've gotten so far, any feedback and suggestions would be awesome:

Toe Blake-Wayne Gretzky-Mike Bossy
Michel Goulet-Ron Francis

I'm wondering, specifically, the type of player I target with that 2nd line RW spot, a power forward or goal scorer.

Ideally, you would have gotten a power forward to play with Gretzky, but that opportunity has passed.

That group looks pretty soft, so I would add some muscle if possible.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
So I've finally got a righty to complete my top-4 defense, and I have a bit of an interesting look here. Three lefties who all have some ability to switch over, and I have the rare #1 defenseman who my coach won't gravitate towards in defensively crucial situations.

Is the simplest solution the correct one?
Coffey - Stewart
Johnson - Desjardins

Or is there a better way to get these players their optimal minutes?

Reactions: Hawkey Town 18

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
So I've finally got a righty to complete my top-4 defense, and I have a bit of an interesting look here. Three lefties who all have some ability to switch over, and I have the rare #1 defenseman who my coach won't gravitate towards in defensively crucial situations.

Is the simplest solution the correct one?
Coffey - Stewart
Johnson - Desjardins

Or is there a better way to get these players their optimal minutes?

That's how I would have them. I really, really like the look of your top pairing. Stylistically, it looks like a great match.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

So TDMM I take the letter from Pilote and give it to František Pospíšil without question right?

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Committed to my bit, my lines are currently set as

Syd Howe --- Dale Hawerchuk --- Gordie Howe
Paul Kariya --- Ted Kennedy (C) --- Alexander Maltsev
XXX --- Vladimir Petrov --- XXX

Would I be better served running with

Paul Kariya - Vladimir Petrov - Gordie Howe

As some weird version of the Kharlamov - Petrov - Mikhalov trio?

Then rolling with

Syd Howe - Dale Hawerchuk - Alexander Maltsev

And having Teeder as my defensively minded 3rd line C?

There's also the option of reuniting Rob Scuderi's lets say soviet inspired top line of

Kariya - Kennedy - G.Howe

Flanked by

S. Howe - Hawerchuk - Maltsev

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
S Howe - Hawerchuk - Maltsev seems fairly soft to me. Am I wrong in reading Syd Howe as a two-way guy with some grit, rather than an actual tough guy?

There are a few quotes about his body checking, but perhaps I'll just keep my original arrangement.

S.Howe - Hawerchuk - G.Howe
Kariya - Kennedy - Maltsev

Thanks for the input

Say Hey Kid

No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
"Digging" Dickie Moore - Stan Mikita - Martin St Louis
Paul Thompson - Duke Keats - Babe Dye
Hooley Smith - Punch Broadbent

Larry Robinson - Erik Karlsson
Carl Brewer - Harvey Pulford
Allan Stanley

Any advice on letters, lineup, or special teams would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
"Digging" Dickie Moore - Stan Mikita - Martin St Louis
Paul Thompson - Duke Keats - Babe Dye

Allan Stanley

My impression on your top line is both MSL and Mikita are going to want the puck on their sticks as much as possible. I don't know how they'd gel. Maybe switching Dye and MSL?

Say Hey Kid

No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
My impression on your top line is both MSL and Mikita are going to want the puck on their sticks as much as possible. I don't know how they'd gel. Maybe switching Dye and MSL?
I was thinking about that. Dye is a goal scorer and MSL is a 2 way player. Changed it.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I was thinking about that. Dye is a goal scorer and MSL is a 2 way player. Changed it.
Ehhhhhhhhhh...

I watched MSL his entire career with the Bolts. I wouldn't classify him as a two-way player. He wasn't embarrassing defensively, and was decent on the PK due to his speed, but he's not a guy you're putting out there to shut anyone down.

Edit: Unless you mean that MSL can score and distribute. I would agree with that.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Pulford, H.Smith, Robinson and Stanley could get a letter.I guess Mikita but meh.Anybody else?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
"Digging" Dickie Moore - Stan Mikita - Babe Dye
Paul Thompson - Duke Keats - Martin St Louis

Allan Stanley

I kind of liked the Hooley Smith and Babe Dye combo. They really complimented each other. Dickie Moore with Stan Mikita and Martin St. Louis was a good all-around line too.

That's pretty thin there. Pulford looks to be the only guy with a good history of being a captain, right?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad