Taylor, Howe, Kennedy, Maltsev, Pilote, and Vasiliev

My captains should be

Kennedy - C
Vasiliev - A
Pilote - A

Right?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
It's not a bad idea to determine a rough leadership hierarchy at this point in the draft.
You want to know if you've actually got three guys that tick those boxes - there are a few second and third liners left that are all-time great leaders, and if your marquee players are weak in that department, you should want to know and target them.
In your case, Kennedy is pretty safe in his captaincy. I can think of two players left who are definitely deserving ATD captains, and they don't supersede Kennedy. Vasiliev is a guy without a long resume as captain, but the fact that he ascended to that spot in maybe the second best organization ever put together (after the 40s-80s Habs) gives him a great case for a letter here. Pilote is a star with a long captaincy and a cup on his resume, so gets a pass, but he's the first guy you knock down if you get another great leader.
No urgency here, but you've got the right idea.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It's not a bad idea to determine a rough leadership hierarchy at this point in the draft.
You want to know if you've actually got three guys that tick those boxes - there are a few second and third liners left that are all-time great leaders, and if your marquee players are weak in that department, you should want to know and target them.
In your case, Kennedy is pretty safe in his captaincy. I can think of two players left who are definitely deserving ATD captains, and they don't supersede Kennedy. Vasiliev is a guy without a long resume as captain, but the fact that he ascended to that spot in maybe the second best organization ever put together (after the 40s-80s Habs) gives him a great case for a letter here. Pilote is a star with a long captaincy and a cup on his resume, so gets a pass, but he's the first guy you knock down if you get another great leader.
No urgency here, but you've got the right idea.

Depends how you see captaincy and leadership.Do we consider leadership without captaincy when choosing our captain? Kennedy was captain for only two cups IIRC. *** captained the three championships. **** the four championships.That's two of them right there, probably those you meant.

But perhaps it doesn't matter that Kennedy didn't have the ''C'' in the prior cups, and that he was still a leader anyway.So like I said, it depends how you evaluate this.

I agree it's good to get a rough hierarchy going.It was one reason I drafted Gerard again, he locks the captaincy immediately unless you have someone like Clarke or Beliveau.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
And sometimes you have a guy like Jarome Iginla.By all measures a great captain... except the most important measure: he didn't win.I'll still give him an ''A'' probably.

But then you have guys like Harvey and Trottier, guys known for being great leaders, but weren't ''C'' at all or weren't ''C'' for very long.I still like to give them an ''A'' since they're the franchise players, unless I have incredible leaders below in the talent hierarchy.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I like that we've never seriously tried to put together a master hierarchy on this, like a top 50 or 100. Makes the ATD debates more fun.
That said, no ATD team has ever had to debate over whether Beliveau (the greatest leader ever IMO) gets the C over Gretzky (kind of a funny trump card who I'd give the C over several greater leaders), because you'd need a 3 or 4 team draft for that to even come up.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I've had teams where I've had a rough time naming captains just wanted to make sure I don't have undeserving options and don't need to target a guy for leadership

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
That said, no ATD team has ever had to debate over whether Beliveau (the greatest leader ever IMO) gets the C over Gretzky (kind of a funny trump card who I'd give the C over several greater leaders)

Serious question: what is the benefit of doing that?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I've had teams where I've had a rough time naming captains just wanted to make sure I don't have undeserving options and don't need to target a guy for leadership
I'm here right now. I was thinking of Clapper for the C, with Nighbor and Trottier with the As, but I'm not sure.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Clapper and Trottier you've probably got right

Nighbor I don't know anything about his leadership, Gerard was the leader of those Ottawa teams
Other players I currently have are Cleghorn, Jackson, and Bure. Bure is obviously out. Cleghorn... I don't know if I want a psychopath as one of the leaders. Don't know much about Jackson.

I always figured if nothing else, Nighbor would be a good "lead by example" type.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Other players I currently have are Cleghorn, Jackson, and Bure. Bure is obviously out. Cleghorn... I don't know if I want a psychopath as one of the leaders. Don't know much about Jackson.

I always figured if nothing else, Nighbor would be a good "lead by example" type.

Of the options you have Nighbor is probably the best one, unless I'm missing something

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Playing around with our forwards. which out of the two do people prefer?

Ovechkin - Forsberg - Hextall
Abel - XXXX - XXXXX

or

Ovechkin - Abel - XXXX
XXXXX - Forsberg - Hextall

or

Abel - Forsberg - Hextall
Ovechkin - XXXXX - XXXXX

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'd do

Ovechkin-Forsberg-XXX
Abel-XXX-Hextall Sr.

I honestly thought that was your plan, which I liked.I thought you were aiming for Bill Cowley for your 2nd line, but I guess now that's moot.

Ovechkin-Forsberg-Hextall Sr. is overkill IMO.Waste of intangibles, which is paid at a premium.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
And I'd try to draft another guy like Abel who can play both wing and center, for when Forsberg is injured, in such a way that the lineup can be at least decent without him in it.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Of the options you have Nighbor is probably the best one, unless I'm missing something
I actually did more research. Cleghorn captained the Habs after he left Ottawa, and then captained the Bruins to close out his career. He was known to mentor young guys like Eddie Shore and Dit Clapper.

I went ahead and gave him an A, mainly because I have never read anything touting Nighbor's leadership. Cleghorn may be a psycho, but he's *my* psycho.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Clapper and Trottier you've probably got right

Nighbor I don't know anything about his leadership, Gerard was the leader of those Ottawa teams

I think Nighbor was captain shortly around 1925.I don't remember the details of why the ''C'' went to Boucher after that, but it was probably something about contract issues or things like non-hockey work related, which all players had in those days.I'd need to check but I don't have it handy.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Nighbor had a tendency to drag contract negotiations through training camp so he could stay in Pembroke longer and arrive in Ottawa as late as possible. Similar to Eddie Shore and Earl Seibert, who like Nighbor were never NHL team captains.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Best option for captain out of these so far? Goodfellow, Gadsby, Chelios, Bathgate.

Should Morenz go letterless?

C - Goodfellow
A - Gadsby
A - Bathgate

?

Of course, there are still plenty more players to add.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
markrander said:
Ovechkin - Abel - XXXX
XXXXX - Forsberg - Hextall
Forsberg holds onto the puck far too long for OV's liking. Abel is used to getting the puck to star wingers. Besides, Abel on the 1st, Petr the 2nd, is exactly the lines they played on in their careers.

Get OV-Abel a net crasher to screen, deflect and bury loose pucks. Get Forsberg someone he can cycle the puck with for an entire shift.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Guys like Pilote and Bathgate were great players and absolutely worth getting drafted where they were.

But why would you even consider giving them letters in this?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Guys like Pilote and Bathgate were great players and absolutely worth getting drafted where they were.

But why would you even consider giving them letters in this?

In Bathgate’s case I pretty much just based it on him having the C for 3 seasons in New York. Would him having an A in an ATD really be that crazy?

After thinking about it though, I should probably just wait until my team is complete before really talking about the letters anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad