Prospect Info: At 8th Overall the Kings Select Brandt Clarke

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Plenty of posts from the last year saying hes the best dman in the draft and possible first overall. The knock seems like its not his speed but his stride and if he can clean it up he has the game breaking potential that makar and karlsson possess.
Gotta like this pick.

Oof

Oct 23, 2018
Plenty of posts from the last year saying hes the best dman in the draft and possible first overall. The knock seems like its not his speed but his stride and if he can clean it up he has the game breaking potential that makar and karlsson possess.
Gotta like this pick.
Going into the draft I was hoping for Guenther, Eklund, Clarke or Wallstedt in no particular order. I feel like any of those 4 would fill a need for our prospect pool and I'd be happy with any, but I've seen a lot of hype around us picking Clarke here and it has me on the hype-train, this kids potential is so exciting to me and I hope he can become that dynamic offensive dman for us!

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It seems like he has a fairly low bust potential. Like his floor isn't that low.

I like that these CHL prospects got some pro hockey under their belt this past season. Adds another layer to their development.

Everything is setup for him to have a tremendous season in the junior this year.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
What really stands out is his character and poise in the interview. He’s more composed than most senior players I’ve heard speak. He really understands what he’s about and his own strengths/weaknesses. He’s confident, very confident but there’s very little ego there. This guy is going to develop.

Also based on what he said about getting taller and stronger since the u18’s, he’s going to be a big/strong guy. I’m starting to get excited about this guy.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Wow, this site had him #1!!!

E6_lABhVIAMgaQi

1. Brandt Clarke, D
Every year we talk about a European playing in a men’s league in Europe that is expected to go in the first round. The discussion often involves someone saying “imagine what this guy would have done in the CHL… he would have destroyed it”. Brandt Clarke is that but the opposite. Due to his native OHL league being shutdown for the entire season because of Covid-19, Clarke went across the pond and played in the Slovak men’s league and was extremely productive. Small sample size (which is a consistent problem facing this year due to Covid-19), but Clarke’s production was incredible. He registered 15 points in 26 games. He really started to come on in the second half of his time in the Slovakia league so those totals could even be understated.

The Slovakia league isn’t a league that a lot of players come from but it’s a very good quality league, on par with the Czech league and a bit behind the SHL. Marian Hossa and Marian Gaborik are the most high profile players to ever come out of the Slovakia league. Euro men’s leagues in general rarely have teenagers featured in them, and the teenagers that do play in them rarely have notable production, especially dmen. The only teenage dmen that had success like this in any Euro men’s league in their draft year over the past 30 years were Victor Hedman and Rasmus Dahlin. Clarke was already considered a top pick for the 2021 draft before the year even started (due to a strong D-1 season in the OHL in 2019-20). That type of rare, substantial success in Europe pushes him over the top as our top ranked player in 2021, a draft that lacks the consensus number one pick we see in 95% of drafts.

The Hockey Prospecting Top 32 (2021)

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Really wanted Eklund or Clarke, very happy we got Clarke……very sad Eklund went to San Jose. Now I’ll see how good Eklund becomes when we play.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Considering that it does not appear the terms of the agreement between the NHL and CHL about those who played pro last season have been finalized yet, I feel like it’d would be difficult for him to know…

Like I said, it does not appear the terms of that agreement have been finalized. We have no idea if other professional leagues will be included as counting.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The thing with drafting of Clarke to me is a year down the road the Kings need to make a decision on Roy or Walker...who stays who goes or do both go as the Kings make room for Clarke,Faber or Grans or all 3 of the youngsters. In a years time we could see some"dog fights" for positions. And that doesn't factor in Spence, and Durzi if he's still in the organization...

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
The thing with drafting of Clarke to me is a year down the road the Kings need to make a decision on Roy or Walker...who stays who goes or do both go as the Kings make room for Clarke,Faber or Grans or all 3 of the youngsters. In a years time we could see some"dog fights" for positions. And that doesn't factor in Spence, and Durzi if he's still in the organization...
Yeah most likely. Its funny I was goofy with my stick. Right handed but shot left. Also liked to play my off side on defense. I wonder if one of these guys will be moved to the left. Still think Walker will be the odd man out. Who knows, maybe they move Doughty in his last couple of years. All three are still prospects at this point. Hope they reach their potential.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
I would like to see if Walker can play the left side. He has shown in limited mintues to be okay there. If he could play the left side HIm and Strand can be a effective bottom pairing imo

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020

Assuming several of these guys don't fall off a cliff, the Kings will get a really nice return trade wise in 1-2 years when they decide to trade 1+ of their excess RHD -- all of which (except Drew of course) will be cheap or on a very reasonable contract.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
To me the best winger is Eklund and the best Offensive D man is Clarke. Best scenario was to have a chance at either and we did. Still liked Hughes but Devils would never have passed on him.

Funny to think that Byfield is supposed to replace Kopitar and Clarke will develop to potentially replace Doughty.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
To me the best winger is Eklund and the best Offensive D man is Clarke. Best scenario was to have a chance at either and we did. Still liked Hughes but Devils would never have passed on him.

Funny to think that Byfield is supposed to replace Kopitar and Clarke will develop to potentially replace Doughty.
Yep

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

There is only one KopiStar and Doughty though

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Any guesses to who the Kings select at 49-50? I'm thinking maybe Aatu Raty slides and Kings snag him or LA takes another D-man...Jack Peart if he's rated that high

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

That's a good problem though and you never know what will happen.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Am I right in that the flaws just seem to be technically inefficient skating? Seems fixable for someone with huge upside.

I've seen some weird things about his form as well as his skating.

Seems like his skating is going to make or break him. While he's put good numbers while being a poor skater, hes going to need to improve a lot on it in order for his game to transition well in the NHL where the ice is smaller and players are quicker.

Seems like if he actually becomes a decent or good skater, then we have the best player from the draft. If he doesn't then I hope San Jose gets nuked lol.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Am I right in that the flaws just seem to be technically inefficient skating? Seems fixable for someone with huge upside.
first thing out of his mouth when questioned about it too, was that he's not perfect and he wants to work on everything. really great attitude to have imo as opposed to "well it works great for me!"

Reactions: andys

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3