Prospect Info: At 8th Overall the Kings Select Brandt Clarke

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
What is this kids expected timeframe? Is he likely to make an impact before Kopitar and Doughty disintergrate or is he a slow burner like most young dmen?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What is this kids expected timeframe? Is he likely to make an impact before Kopitar and Doughty disintergrate or is he a slow burner like most young dmen?

It's OHL or NHL for him for the next two seasons. I can't see him sticking the NHL roster for more than 10 games and burning up a year of his contract as an 18 year-old. Maybe the following season.

For the analytics people:

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Had shit to do and embargoed until I was caught up.

Oh man, we lucked the hell out. I have Clarke over Power and 2nd overall. Power is Bouwmeesterish, Clarke will run a top powerplay and hit breakouts on the regular. Don't see either as Norris winners, but Clarke will be a team driver. Very, very happy tonight!

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Im not a Blake hater or supporter…but I feel like that is something he should know?

Considering that it does not appear the terms of the agreement between the NHL and CHL about those who played pro last season have been finalized yet, I feel like it’d would be difficult for him to know…

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Considering that it does not appear the terms of the agreement between the NHL and CHL about those who played pro last season have been finalized yet, I feel like it’d would be difficult for him to know…

But Clarke was loaned to a professional Slovakia league. He didn't play in the AHL. Why would players who didn't play in the AHL this year be considered an exception to play in the AHL next year?

Reactions: KingLB

bland

Jul 1, 2004
But Clarke was loaned to a professional Slovakia league. He didn't play in the AHL. Why would players who didn't play in the AHL this year be considered an exception to play in the AHL next year?
Lombardi would argue that a professional league is a professional league is a professional league

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This sucks. This is now 3 (#1) picks in a row the Kings drafted the player I wanted. How am I supposed to second guess and blame Blake if these kids don't turn out now?

What will I bitch an moan about besides Hoban now?

Oh that's easy, delete your old posts and complain the guy taken one pick later was your guy.

Turcotte? Ugh, wanted Seider.
Byfield? Ugh, wanted Stützle.
Clarke? Ugh, wanted Guenther.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Oh that's easy, delete your old posts and complain the guy taken one pick later was you guy.

Turcotte? Ugh, wanted Seider.
Byfield? Ugh, wanted Stützle.
Clarke? Ugh, wanted Guenther.

Clearly I have a lot to learn about biitching on the internet. Time to head to Twitter for a few hours to educate myself.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm absolutely thrilled with this pick. I figured Clarke would've gone before Edvinsson so I just expected he wouldn't be there. Very excited to see how he does going back to the OHL after getting some professional minutes in Slovakia and then going to the WJC for Canada. Some serious depth on defense on the right side with Faber and Grans already being there

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great pick for you guys. I had him #1 on my list this year.

I think he's the most naturally talented of all the players in this draft. He's a dynamic offensive talent. Incredible hockey sense, playmaking, and puck skills. His shot can use some work, but isn't terrible. His skating plays as effective. It gets criticized a lot. Some call him knock-kneed. It's unconventional, but I have yet to see it play in games as anything worse than average, and it actually looks better than average to me. Defensively, I think he's pretty good. I wouldn't consider him a shutdown defenseman, but he has size, makes good decisions out of possession, and should eventually have the weight to battle physically in the tough areas you expect of an all situations defenseman. He also has been incredibly productive everywhere he's played his whole career.

I don't think there's a great comparable for this guy. Some say Adam Fox, but I see some differences. Clarke is bigger, while Fox hockey sense is not something you can compare a prospect's hockey sense to. I think John Klingberg is the best comparison out there for style of play and a likely outcome, but even that comparison isn't great. I think Clarke will be better than Klingberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad