At 6th Overall The Red Wings Select Simon Edvinsson

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He is being physical with boys though, not NHL men.
He played 14+6 games in the Allsvenskan and 10+1 games in the SHL last season. He played against men plenty.

Either way: Yes he is a kid and has some room to grow, but I don't think his size will be an issue at any point in his development

Reactions: Heaton

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It is the willingness that is important. His weight means less than muscle maturity when talking actual strength. People mature at different rates. Edvinsson will be a a much different player from a strength standpoint at 21 than what he is right now. Even at the same weight.

Willingness is key.

In todays NHL, the mindset to be physical is huge. If youre a 6'5 200+ lb dman, I dont care if youre showing it against men or out in a tier 2 jr A league, that physicality is going to translate.

When I've watched Edvinsson I wouldnt say hes really a big hitter. He throws the body around, but his physical play reminds me of Ericsson at his best. No one getting near the goalie, crease clearing, if you dig after the whistle expect a cross check type deal

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
In todays NHL, the mindset to be physical is huge. If youre a 6'5 200+ lb dman, I dont care if youre showing it against men or out in a tier 2 jr A league, that physicality is going to translate.

When I've watched Edvinsson I wouldnt say hes really a big hitter. He throws the body around, but his physical play reminds me of Ericsson at his best. No one getting near the goalie, crease clearing, if you dig after the whistle expect a cross check type deal
Yeah I'd agree that he's more of a physical presence than a big hitter. He boxes people out and steers them into the boards. He clears the front of the net, he exerts control over a lot of space. He of course does hit, mostly to pin his man to the boards or knock them off the puck but he's not like Seider or Kronwall laying people out with big open ice hits. Which is totally fine, we already have Seider, we don't need another wrecking ball.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I think a lot of the skepticism and mixed opinion surrounding Edvinsson stems from the fact that he was just a tough player to get footage of this year, especially earlier in the season. I had some trepidation around the New Year, and I still have some concerns, but his game has definitely grown on me as I watched more throughout the spring. I think the fact that he bounced between three different leagues (U20s, Allsvenkan, and SHL) this year is under-discussed. That's a pretty big obstacle for an 18 year old during a shortened season.

I know this has been said before, but my opinion is that he does have the size, mobility, and defensive instincts to be a reliable second pairing player without massive growth. But I think his upside is underappreciated - he definitely has the puck skill and ability to provide good offense as well. I think his issues have been more with processing and decision-making than his actual ability, and the fact that he bounced between three different leagues in one shortened season I think partially explains those issues.

I think we'll have a much clearer picture of what Edvinsson brings to the table after this year. He should play the whole season with Frolunda, and those games are easier to watch. Even if you can't watch them, that one guy on twitter will post like every single highlight. He should also play at the WJC. I think he'll benefit from the consistency that comes from working with the same teammates, coaches, opponents, etc. throughout a whole season.

I expect some growing pains this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a more confident offensive player by the second half of the season. If that's the case we very well could have another potential top pairing defenseman on our hands.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I'm perfectly comfortable with him not being a hitter. Takes all kinds of different defenders. We have a big hitter in Seider and if we need someone cleared out; he's there. What is nice is having a 6'5 200 pound, smooth skating big man who can get it done in a different way - taking a spot on the ice, closing the distance between him and the skater, and wedging in that telephone pole of a stick and separating the player from the puck, all while pushing him to a low risk area near the boards? Perfect. Gives our defense another look. Straight line, power forward who use size to take the ice - send Seider out there to wreck shop. Shifty Danglers looking to bait a hitter? Let Edvinsson swallow them up and push remove them from the play.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm perfectly comfortable with him not being a hitter. Takes all kinds of different defenders. We have a big hitter in Seider and if we need someone cleared out; he's there. What is nice is having a 6'5 200 pound, smooth skating big man who can get it done in a different way - taking a spot on the ice, closing the distance between him and the skater, and wedging in that telephone pole of a stick and separating the player from the puck, all while pushing him to a low risk area near the boards? Perfect. Gives our defense another look. Straight line, power forward who use size to take the ice - send Seider out there to wreck shop. Shifty Danglers looking to bait a hitter? Let Edvinsson swallow them up and push remove them from the play.

Edvinsson and Seider can both do the telephone pole wedging and the body crushing.

I think that we’ll see a lot of overlap in their games.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Edvinsson and Seider can both do the telephone pole wedging and the body crushing.

I think that we’ll see a lot of overlap in their games.

Someone needs to teach me how to embed gifs into my replies
2yw5Pid

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't remember was talking about Seider physical game when we draft him

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
@Bench and I got you, fam.
giphy.gif

Damn right we do.

The trick is just using the image tag and make sure the gif is actually a gif file and not linking to the website containing it. I often use right click and then open image in new tab to isolate a file. Or on mobile you hold press and do the same.

(IMG)https://www.benchgifs.comsampleDOTgif(/IMG)

Except it's brackets instead of parentheses.

A lot of services are moving away from gifs because they are such data hogs compared to a video format.

But if it's another media format, usually just posting the link raw here will make it show up appropriately.

There's a media button next to the IMG format button that shows all the different stuff you can plug in like Twitter and YouTube. Reddit and imgur videos work too.

Reactions: TheOctopusKid

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That's what I did! And it gave me garbage. GARBAGE!

...should it be full url or short? Does that matter?

All I do is Google the gif that I want to use, click the Google Image desired, right click the image select "Copy Image" and then Ctrl+V in the message. I've rarely had a problem.

Happy Gif-ing

hat-tip.gif

Reactions: TheOctopusKid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad