At 6th Overall The Red Wings Select Simon Edvinsson

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Nice write-up from Bultman on Edvinsson today:
Frölunda’s coach, Roger Rönnberg, has coached some pretty darn good young defenseman in his day. A few years back, he had No. 1 pick Rasmus Dahlin during his draft year. Before that, he had John Klingberg, Jonas Brodin and Adam Larsson as coach of Sweden’s world junior teams in the early 2010s. He’s seen what top young blue line talent looks like.

But ask him about Edvinsson’s rapid adjustment to the SHL game at just 18 — he turned 19 just a month ago — and even he has been wowed.

“He’s the best guy I have coached over my 30 years (at) that age, if I (look at) the whole package,” Rönnberg said. “His decision-making is one of the best I’ve ever seen, how he’s reading the game, how he is adjusting, how he is learning about the game. He’s so open-minded, he takes instructions (superbly): You tell him a thing once and he likes it and understands why, he does it. He (doesn’t) just understand it, he’s actually putting it on the tape, on the ice.”

And in particular, it’s what Edvinsson has done off the puck at such a young age that has elicited that response.

“It’s so rare to see,” Rönnberg said. “Because almost every time I have had a guy in his age playing defense, I have to teach him how to play defensive, without the puck. But Simon, you tell him once: ‘in that corner, you can use the stick like this, your hand like this,’ boom. He does it. Shift after shift after shift, he does it. You show him one clip of a bad gap, he adjusts, boom. Next shift, he plays with a good gap. It’s really fun to work with him. He’s so smart.”
Sounds a lot like Seider. We have a lot to be excited about.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Funny that the armchair scouts on this board constantly question Edvinsson’s decision making and hockey IQ yet his coach raves about it.
I'm convinced that the majority of these armchair analysts formed their opinion after watching one bad game (Sweden vs. Canada at the WJC) and reading a couple comments online calling Edvinsson a braindead "all tools no toolbox" breed of player and bought it hook, line, and sinker. It was pretty obvious which commenters had actually followed him throughout the year.

Reactions: golffuul

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I'm convinced that the majority of these armchair analysts formed their opinion after watching one bad game (Sweden vs. Canada at the WJC) and reading a couple comments online calling Edvinsson a braindead "all tools no toolbox" breed of player and bought it hook, line, and sinker. It was pretty obvious which commenters had actually followed him throughout the year.

Truuue. To me it seems more more likely that he’s thinking the game at a high level but taking some risks trying to make creative/unorthodox plays. I guess there’s justification there for questioning his decision making but not due to lack of hockey IQ.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Truuue. To me it seems more more likely that he’s thinking the game at a high level but taking some risks trying to make creative/unorthodox plays. I guess there’s justification there for questioning his decision making but not due to lack of hockey IQ.
“He’s the best guy I have coached over my 30 years (at) that age, if I (look at) the whole package,” Rönnberg said. “His decision-making is one of the best I’ve ever seen, how he’s reading the game, how he is adjusting, how he is learning about the game. He’s so open-minded, he takes instructions (superbly): You tell him a thing once and he likes it and understands why, he does it. He (doesn’t) just understand it, he’s actually putting it on the tape, on the ice.”

I'm going to take Ronnberg over random internet people.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
'Mr. Ed' (TM) should be his nickname cuz he's a thoroughbred stud.

& 'Simoned' ..."then Marchand got Simoned in the corner & he's still laying on the ice"

he's good enough to have 2 nicknames a la:

St.Nik / Perfect Human

Demolition Man /Swedish Junkyard Dog

Silk/Stevie Wonder/The Captain / Stevie Y (4)

Pasha / Magic Man / Eurotwin #1 / Pavs (4)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad