At 6th Overall The Red Wings Select Simon Edvinsson

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
“MMA builds my core and smooths my motions. It builds strength right up to the neck and helps me keep an aggressive mentality on the ice,” Edvinsson said. “I try to use my length with my body to get smooth and still have good mobility. I’ve worked a lot with the trainers in Frölunda on that, but also with my mother and in MMA classes.”

Maybe Seider isn't going to be a fighter, but Edvinsson sounds game.

What is the allure of Red Wings' first-round pick Simon Edvinsson: 'Just imagine how good he can be'

Edvinsson works out with the MMA fighters, now that is what i like to hear. And did the commentator say at the draft that Edvinsson father is a cop? If so, this kid is total package on and off the ice.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Edvinsson works out with the MMA fighters, now that is what i like to hear. And did the commentator say at the draft that Edvinsson father is a cop? If so, this kid is total package on and off the ice.
Commentator mentioned both parents iirc, 2 different professions, both physical iirc. MMA, yes, correct.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Most analysts it seems by and large love this pick for us, with most having Edvinsson in the top 3(or top 2) of the draft.

The more you learn it seems the more ya know..

The pick is growing on me

archimet

Aug 17, 2008
Scouts and executives are split on him. Definitely the biggest project. Sounds like some don’t even have him top 10:

“I think he’s overrated. There’s some attractive parts about him, but neither the offense or defending are high-end.”

“He’s going to disappoint people if he goes in the top five. He’s a good player but doesn’t have the hockey sense to be a true top play driver in the NHL.”

“I think he has the lowest ceiling among the big four defensemen (Power, Brandt Clarke, Luke Hughes and Edvinsson) but also the highest floor. I’m not sure you’re getting a lot of offense but I think he’s top-four for sure.”

Or you can cherry-pick the positive quotes from scouts in the same article:

“His U18 tournament wasn’t amazing, and people like to tear this guy down, but a lot of what we do is about projecting the future, not the present. With his size, skating, skill, offensive instincts in five to 10 years he’s going to be at the top of an NHL lineup.”

“He’s a stud. He’s going to be a star, he has everything you want in an NHL defenseman.”

“He’s like a gazelle on the ice. You don’t see a lot of guys who look like him with his frame, mobility and ability to maneuver in traffic. He needs a lot of time to develop and grow into his frame but he can pop.”

Or you can look at publications like Hockey Prospect's Blackbook, that is loaded with comments from NHL Scouts.

Hockey Prospects Rating:
* Hockey Sense: 7
* Compete: 7
* Skill: 7
* Skating: 8
* Misc: 7

Their introductory sentences to Edvinsson's 5-page writeup:

"Edvinsson is a raw, unpolished, at times -- high-octane -- two-way defenseman with arguably the highest ceiling out of any defensive prospect featured in this class. There are very few players in any draft we would consider to have an elite skating base, but Simon is one of them." ~ Hockey Prospects intro to his writeup.

Selected comments from NHL Scouts at the end of their analysis:

“Tough to pick between Power and him. Both high end players. I think Edvinsson is more raw now but probably has bigger upside between the two players. Can’t go wrong either way.”

“When I look at him he’s a can’t miss as far as playing goes and I’ll be shocked if he’s not high end because he’s 6’5” and can skate…he defends…he can transition pucks and I think there is some offence there.”

“Great player. Huge upside and I think he’ll reach it. Handles physicality really well and he has that long stick….he’s tough one on one. Some hiccups here and there but overall he has a chance to be a huge minute eater.”

“More upside offensively than people think. He has skill and he gets pucks through. He’s top 5 for sure and is good enough to go number one.”

“I see some offensive potential on top of everything else. I specially saw it in league play. I think he did great things beating guys one and one and getting to scoring areas…he can shoot a bit too.”

There's another half dozen or so glowing comments from NHL scouts. Buy the Black Book if you want to read more. They loved him and had him ranked #3, like McKenzie. It'll get you excited about this selection.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
He's not that mean on his own. Edvinsson only started to play chippy when Canadians were taking liberties with his team and he started to display some grit. Edvinsson could stand to play with a little more fire. Maybe Kronwall will encourage him to staple guys to the boards more.

ya would be awesome, our top d pair could be called simon and seider lol

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Seider with Edvinsson on the same line in about 4 years will be something.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I mean there is Tom Wilson, but you have to be pretty bold to go crashing in on a 6'6" probably like 230 goalie, Prime versions are probably like 230 to 235 on Seider and Edvinsson too. That is going to be an ass whipping, not sure you need to worry about fighting as much as one of these big boys getting up and throwing you around like a rag doll. Most of our D-prospects at this point are actually kind of big rugged dudes, the cost of doing business in the corners and crease is about to go up a lot in the near future in Detroit. Now probably 3 or more years for the fear of God with both Seider and Edvinsson here, but Mo should start warming them up to it this year. Yzerman could flip around a bunch of assets, but to date in this rebuild we still look like we are coming out of this a physically imposing team with tons of speed, I like that direction.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I mean there is Tom Wilson, but you have to be pretty bold to go crashing in on a 6'6" probably like 230 goalie, Prime versions are probably like 230 to 235 on Seider and Edvinsson too. That is going to be an ass whipping, not sure you need to worry about fighting as much as one of these big boys getting up and throwing you around like a rag doll. Most of our D-prospects at this point are actually kind of big rugged dudes, the cost of doing business in the corners and crease is about to go up a lot in the near future in Detroit. Now probably 3 or more years for the fear of God with both Seider and Edvinsson here, but Mo should start warming them up to it this year. Yzerman could flip around a bunch of assets, but to date in this rebuild we still look like we are coming out of this a physically imposing team with tons of speed, I like that direction.

This rugged post featured ghost writer work by decaguard

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Some additional context, Yzerman confirmed on 97.1 this morning that the team had Edvinsson ranked "a bit higher" than the draft slot at #6. Said they were surprised when he was available to them and the pick was obvious at that point.

So take that for what it's worth, Edvinsson was 5 or higher, and I think realistically we could be talking a lottery pick. He did have pretty glowing remarks about Power's WC performance, and Power does match every attribute the team seems to prioritize, so my guess is he was our #1.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Some additional context, Yzerman confirmed on 97.1 this morning that the team had Edvinsson ranked "a bit higher" than the draft slot at #6. Said they were surprised when he was available to them and the pick was obvious at that point.

So take that for what it's worth, Edvinsson was 5 or higher, and I think realistically we could be talking a lottery pick. He did have pretty glowing remarks about Power's WC performance, and Power does match every attribute the team seems to prioritize, so my guess is he was our #1.

Personally wanted Clarke, so I'm going to put my faith in Stevie here. The man hasn't given me reason to doubt him yet.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
This is my first chance to chime in here. I'm really happy with the pick, he was my 3rd ranked player (and honestly, I kind of just slotted in Power and Beniers 1 and 2 without giving them a real look myself).

When I first looked at him, I was under the impression consensus was he was ranked 10th-12th, but he was the first guy that really stood out to me. I definitely have a bias towards big defenseman that can skate. I think that's a great way to build a team and a fan of taking lots of swings at them. Edvinsson in particular, in my mind, shows some really great hands and skating. I'm a bit surprised others are so concerned about his offensive upside.

The scouching video pointing out bad passing really had me worried. I like high IQ players, though I've found I struggle to actually identify them and project them in prospects. After a closer look at all the "lowlights", I think they were overblown and pretty understandable plays. There are also a handful of highlights that make me think that IQ may be a big plus. At that point I'll pull the "Trust Yzerman and Hakan" card.

Eklund was my 4th ranked player. I like the idea of going BPA. But I'm glad we weren't forced into grabbing another small winger as the BPA

Very excited about the idea of Seider and Edvinsson in our future.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Edvinsson was my #2 prospect and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Wings had him there too. He fits their "big D that can skate" mold perfectly and I think they prefer guys that are capable defensively like Edvinsson to those that prioritize offense like Hughes. You have to be able to do both, and Edvinsson does both. How exactly they felt about the centers Beniers and McTavish is really hard to say. I'd bet he was their second rated defenseman though and either 2, 3 or 4 on their board.

I'm so excited for him to make it in a couple years (I think 1 more year of SHL, 1 year in GR but obviously it's subject to change). I salivate thinking about how he'll complement Hronek well to let him roam a bit more safely knowing Edvinsson can cover for his mistakes or form a monstrous shutdown pairing with Seider. If we have another solid LD to play with Hronek, the Seidvinsson pairing really makes me giddy to think about. Those two together would spend 20 minutes in the offensive zone every game. They'd crush nearly every rush in the neutral zone and have it going the other way so fast. I think Edvinsson is an even better puck rusher than Seider (I still have Seider as the better prospect because he's more developed and truly elite defensively whereas Edvinsson at this point is just very good. Not to mention Seider's hitting prowess and more polished passing game). They're going to cover so much ice with their speed and size, it's going to feel like the rink is only 30 feet wide for opposing forwards.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
if im looking at drafting ''gullfaxi'' my thought process i present to my staff :

with this guys extremely rare mix of size with skating he is at minimum a stud shut down dman
i can sick on anybody and he will shadow them all 200' plus be able to muscle opponants away
from my net . this is a sure aspect of this player . he with seider would form the best shut down
tandem on earth ! plus he can do an elite job rushing puck up taking pressure off my centers .
anything else he brings is just a bonus . not to mention he fits right into my swedish crew further
strengthening my organizational culture ! (entire time im spastically pounding the table :naughty:)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Personally wanted Clarke, so I'm going to put my faith in Stevie here. The man hasn't given me reason to doubt him yet.
Clarke may wind up being the better player, but he won't reach that with the Wings. 4 years after the draft, Raz is STILL a work in progress with his skating. Given that rate, it would probably take the Wings about a decade to fix Clarke's skating.

The team actually has a long history of being UNABLE to fix a prospect's skating, Svech, G Smith, Ouellet, Pulky, etc. Clarke just was not a good fit for this team. Initially wanted him, but the more I thought about it, the less I wanted him.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Coming into the draft I never had much interest in Edvinsson, however, I hadn't given him much of a look. Since the draft Ive watched some clips and read up on the kid and he has really grown on me. Seeing some of the plays he makes with the puck on his stick are incredible. Obviously, many of the dangles wont happen at the NHL level but I love his ability to stick handle and skate. This kid has the potential to be transformative to, not only our team, but the game of hockey if he reaches his ceiling.

Philosophically, I love swinging on his skill set in this draft where no one else really stood above the rest.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
That's ridiculous. Hronek is a good defenseman who has 0 support. Put Hronek on a good team and he's putting in 55 points/season from the second pair while playing respectable defense.

55 points! From the 2nd pair? Are you dreaming? The guy didn't shoot one puck past a goalie this season and you think he will be putting up 55 points/season in a reduced role with a better team? No chance. Zero.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
55 points! From the 2nd pair? Are you dreaming? The guy didn't shoot one puck past a goalie this season and you think he will be putting up 55 points/season in a reduced role with a better team? No chance. Zero.
I dunno what happened to his slapper this past season. He had one of the better slappers in the league. Also didn't help that he likes to nail shin pads. But I hope he regains some form next season.

I don't see 55 pts either, but on a good team I could see him at 30+ points again.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I dunno what happened to his slapper this past season. He had one of the better slappers in the league. Also didn't help that he likes to nail shin pads. But I hope he regains some form next season.

I don't see 55 pts either, but on a good team I could see him at 30+ points again.

I think he will be more effective with the slapper if he is put onto the flank. Less traffic to shoot through there.

And I agree with you on expected production. He was effectively a 30+ point guy this year. 55+ is very hard and quite rare. I think he can live in the 35-45 point range and be similar to a guy like Ryan Ellis in terms of production.

Reactions: Gniwder

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I could see Hronek scoring drop a lot at next season, if he is taken off from the 1st power-play. Leddy will run it for sure.

---------------------------------
1.PP
(netfront) Rasmussen/Bertuzzi/Erne

Larkin - Fabbri - Vrana

(pointman) Leddy
--------------------------------

2.PP
(netfront) Rasmussen/Bertuzzi/Erne

Hronek - Veleno/Suter - Zadina

(pointman) Seider
-------------------------------------

This is how I see the units constructed. Hronek will be the shooter. Seider will run from the point, both on 2nd unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad