At 6th Overall The Red Wings Select Simon Edvinsson

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I hadn't seen any real videos on Edvinsson since it seemed like he would be gone when we were picking, but I just saw some U18 highlights and I was really impressed with this stickwork and how willing he was to move in from the blueline and then pass the puck into the slot to an open player when the defense reacted to his positioning. I didn't see much that indicates he has a good shot, but his size, skating, skill and passing all looked very good to me. I am shocked how many people are down on him, the only thing he is really missing is a plus shot. Everything else looked really, really good.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I’m having a hard time with this pick.

The athletic ability is off the charts and absolutely fascinating. I’m willing to bet he’s the best skater in our organization already and that’s in an undeveloped 6’5 frame. It’s hard to believe how well he gets around the ice. He’s a unicorn in that sense.

His decision making scares me though. I don’t see a player that processes the game very well. Sometimes it looks like he’s playing pickup hockey or something. His passes lack purpose and touch. It’s weird and imo pretty concerning considering the position he plays.

That all being said if any organization is going to maximize this kid’s potential it’s us. I think Stevie fully believes that as well and that’s why we picked him.

Imagine if this kid and Mo both reach their ceilings…
This kind of scouting report reminds me a ton of Sproul.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This kind of scouting report reminds me a ton of Sproul.

I got a chuckle out of that.

Ryan Sproul was one of the most overrated prospects we have ever had. Edvinsson can skate, stickhandle AND can gap up on his man. He may not have a genius level hockey IQ but he has good defensive instincts.

Ryan Sproul made Brendan Smith look like a Rhodes scholar.

Reactions: BeersHockey

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I got a chuckle out of that.

Ryan Sproul was one of the most overrated prospects we have ever had. Edvinsson can skate, stickhandle AND can gap up on his man. He may not have a genius level hockey IQ but he has good defensive instincts.

Ryan Sproul made Brendan Smith look like a Rhodes scholar.

Sproul was the stat-machine without any real NHL skills.

We haven't seen anything like that since him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah

Edvinsson: "Probably the next Lidström"
Dower Nilsson: "Probably the next Zetterberg"

sounds good to me!

If that happened then we found a draft almost as good as the 1989 draft for us.

I'm tempering my expectations of Edvinsson but he does have all the tools to become a really good player. Frolunda isn't the place for him to develop his offensive game, though. And that's what we really want to see more of from this guy.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
If that happened then we found a draft almost as good as the 1989 draft for us.

I'm tempering my expectations of Edvinsson but he does have all the tools to become a really good player. Frolunda isn't the place for him to develop his offensive game, though. And that's what we really want to see more of from this guy.

Frölunda is not a very good place for forwards to develop their offensive game IMO because a lot of defensive responsibility is put on the forwards (high energy forechecking coupled with a defense-first mentality with the puck).

However when it comes to defensemen I think Frölunda gives them a lot more freedom to join the rush, to play the cycle game. And Frölunda has a record of developing both young and old defensemen.

In fact a lot of Swedens best offensive defensmen comes from Frölunda, Erik Karlsson (EK65 was pre-Rönnberg), under Rönnberg you have John Klingberg, Erik Gustafsson (abyssmal defensively but great offensively) and Rasmus Dahlin.

As far as systems go they have also said that they will change a bit how they are playing for this upcoming season. If they do manage this I think you will see a bit more dynamic offensive game from them.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Frölunda is not a very good place for forwards to develop their offensive game IMO because a lot of defensive responsibility is put on the forwards (high energy forechecking coupled with a defense-first mentality with the puck).

However when it comes to defensemen I think Frölunda gives them a lot more freedom to join the rush, to play the cycle game. And Frölunda has a record of developing both young and old defensemen.

In fact a lot of Swedens best offensive defensmen comes from Frölunda, Erik Karlsson (EK65 was pre-Rönnberg), under Rönnberg you have John Klingberg, Erik Gustafsson (abyssmal defensively but great offensively) and Rasmus Dahlin.

As far as systems go they have also said that they will change a bit how they are playing for this upcoming season. If they do manage this I think you will see a bit more dynamic offensive game from them.

Really informative, thank you for sharing your insights. I had never followed the team that closely so it's good to get some perspective from those that do.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

So Niederbach ain't putting up numbers until perhaps Grand Rapids? Hehe.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

That's what I noticed about the forwards there but I didn't notice the defensemen on Frolunda's team last season being particularly active. Djurgarden, Rogle, Lulea, Farjestad all had at least one pair of defensemen that would advance the puck like wingers and would sometimes attack in tandem before falling back to the blueline and letting the wingers move up. I didn't see that out of Frolunda in the games I watched. Is that more the defensemen on the team not being that good or is that Ronnberg reigning them in?

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
That's what I noticed about the forwards there but I didn't notice the defensemen on Frolunda's team last season being particularly active. Djurgarden, Rogle, Lulea, Farjestad all had at least one pair of defensemen that would advance the puck like wingers and would sometimes attack in tandem before falling back to the blueline and letting the wingers move up. I didn't see that out of Frolunda in the games I watched. Is that more the defensemen on the team not being that good or is that Ronnberg reigning them in?

I don't know what to tell you, perhaps you caught the wrong games? I just randomly pulled up a couple of highlight videos of the past season and saw this:

Frölunda - Örebro:

0.o4 Raymond steals the puck and scores (not really part of the discussion, but it's still a good sequence).
0.55 you have #16 Stefan Elliott (Defensman) deke at the blue-line, skate the puck in and then make a cross-ice pass that nearly connects for a goal.
1.14 you have #34 Theodor Lennström (Defensman) pull a similar move which leads to a goal.

Frölunda - Leksand

0.39 you have #10 Jens Olsson (Defensman) leading the charge by driving towards the net which opens up for Lundqvist who scores.
1.50 you have #5 Filip Johansson (Defenseman) joining the rush and scores a goal after getting a drop pass from Mursak.
2:16 you have #6 Mattias Norlinder (Defenseman) take the puck at the blue line, stepping in towards the center, passing to a forward who misses

Frölunda - Oskarshamn

0:18 #56 Jonathan Sigalet (Defenseman) joins the rush and almost scores a goal as the player furthest up in the offensive zone.
2:25 #16 Stefan Elliott (Defensman) drives towards the net and is later able to score on the rebound set up by Niederbach
2:45 #16 Stefan Elliott (Defensman) beats his man with a deke and drives towards the net, puck eventually goes in to the net.

So yeah, I would say that a large part of Frölundas system is to allow the defensemen to join the rush, join the cycle and drive towards the net. I haven't really reflected over if it was less than normal this season and why it might be that way. But they definitely did it.

I would not be concerned with that when it comes to Edvinsson. My main concern would be ice-time and what role he would have / take.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
first mistake , jersey decided to draft hughes because of his brother . second mistake , cbj decided to draft kenny because he could be u of m buddies with zack . bingo bango = the flying stallion landed in caesars arena to pull ilitch chariot . you dont let 6'4'' dmen that can skate like the wind , keep their own end patroled and haul the mail go by , thats an extremely rare player and im still fired up over this pick ...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just watched some highlights of him for the first time, and his skating, decisions and puck moving seems very good. One thing though, he seems very thin/lanky which to me is a little concerning as far as doing well in the NHL. Anyone else a little worried about it? I know kids take time to mature and grow, but he just seems a little too lanky or whatever the term is.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Just watched some highlights of him for the first time, and his skating, decisions and puck moving seems very good. One thing though, he seems very thin/lanky which to me is a little concerning as far as doing well in the NHL. Anyone else a little worried about it? I know kids take time to mature and grow, but he just seems a little too lanky or whatever the term is.
He is just 18, majority of draftees are just skinny boys.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
There are plenty of highlights out there of him throwing his body around and being physical. Elite Prospects lists him at 6'5 207lbs and has Seider at 6'4 207lbs. I'm sure you'll get different numbers from different sources on the 2 guys, but I think that kind of shows it's not a concern

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There are plenty of highlights out there of him throwing his body around and being physical. Elite Prospects lists him at 6'5 207lbs and has Seider at 6'4 207lbs. I'm sure you'll get different numbers from different sources on the 2 guys, but I think that kind of shows it's not a concern

He is being physical with boys though, not NHL men.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
He is being physical with boys though, not NHL men.
It is the willingness that is important. His weight means less than muscle maturity when talking actual strength. People mature at different rates. Edvinsson will be a a much different player from a strength standpoint at 21 than what he is right now. Even at the same weight.

Willingness is key.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad