Player Discussion At 47 the Senators Select Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think he is limited to 9 games, if he plays more than that he cannot return to London and can't go to AHL. So he would be stuck on NHL roster for the season.
No. It means he burns a year of his ELC if he plays 10 or more... he can get sent back... re Sprong as an example.. 40 games means they burn a year of service towards UFA

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am glad they decided to keep Formenton up... even if its to play 4th line .. for 9 games.. He showed more in preseason than McCormick did.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I think he is limited to 9 games, if he plays more than that he cannot return to London and can't go to AHL. So he would be stuck on NHL roster for the season.

After 10 games played, he burns a year but can still be sent down. But, since we have Brown and Formenton both up we can space them out somewhat. Will be interesting to see how they manoeuver it. I expect they will be more willing to sit Brown then Formenton, though, with Brown possibly seeing a stint similar to Chabot's last year - whereas with Formenton they said if he's with the team, it won't be in the press box.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
did he make it? Haven't seen anything confirmed

Yes, barring a waiver wire pickup (or extremlyyyyyyy cheap option of only keeping 12 forwards on the roster)

Turris
Hoff
Stone
Ryan
JGP
Smith
Dzingel
Thompson
Pyatt
Burrows
Brassard
Brown
Fomenton

Are the only forwards left. We will be dressing 12, and have at least 1 spare.

Unless they plan on hitting the waiver wire, Formenton will be signing his ELC anytime now to be a part of the Sens.

Reactions: RedWhiteBrown

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

False. If he plays more than 9 games he burns a year of his entry level contract but he can still be sent back to junior. There is no way he can be stuck on an NHL roster.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Yes, barring a waiver wire pickup (or extremlyyyyyyy cheap option of only keeping 12 forwards on the roster)

Keeping only 12 forwards isn't that far fetched. Belleville is only 150 minutes away from the Canadian Tire Centre and the weather is good so there shouldn't be any weather delays at this time of the year. So for the first 2 games of the season, it's not a big deal to not have an extra forward around. They can always recall someone for the west coast trip. And if they have an extra dman around, Boucher has demonstrated in the past that he doesn't mind going 11-7.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Keeping only 12 forwards isn't that far fetched. Belleville is only 150 minutes away from the Canadian Tire Centre and the weather is good so there shouldn't be any weather delays at this time of the year. So for the first 2 games of the season, it's not a big deal to not have an extra forward around. They can always recall someone for the west coast trip. And if they have an extra dman around, Boucher has demonstrated in the past that he doesn't mind going 11-7.

That's assuming that they are not on the road, and the injury/illness is known in advance.

You are allowed a 23 man roster, that is usually 13-7-2. I would think at least 29 of the NHL teams will roll with 13 forwards on their roster

Last edited:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Turris
Hoff
Stone
Ryan
JGP
Smith
Dzingel
Thompson
Pyatt
Burrows
Brassard
Brown
Fomenton

Are the only forwards left. We will be dressing 12, and have at least 1 spare.

Unless they plan on hitting the waiver wire, Formenton will be signing his ELC anytime now to be a part of the Sens.

One other possibility is that the Sens will still return Formenton or Brown to juniors and will bring back up one of the guys they waived (who would now be waiver exempt for a month, I think?). It's very far-fetched but still possible and would make some sense if there is a guy they are worried they would lose on waivers once the season gets started.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
One other possibility is that the Sens will still return Formenton or Brown to juniors and will bring back up one of the guys they waived (who would now be waiver exempt for a month, I think?). It's very far-fetched but still possible and would make some sense if there is a guy they are worried they would lose on waivers once the season gets started.
I'm not following? Why would they put on guy on waivers so they could call him up because they are worried about losing him on waivers in another week?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I'm not following? Why would they put on guy on waivers so they could call him up because they are worried about losing him on waivers in another week?

It's a tactic that teams have used - waiving a guy before the season when everyone is still looking at their own guys. I'm pretty sure we did this with Hoffman, and Montreal tried to do it with Condon.

If they think McCormick, for example, is more likely to get claimed in week 3 of the season than in the final week of the pre-season and they see him playing spot duty on the 4th line, it can make sense to take that calculated risk.

It's definitely far-fetched but it's not like it's unprecedented. I just thought I'd mention it, even though I'd be very surprised to see it happen.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's a tactic that teams have used - waiving a guy before the season when everyone is still looking at their own guys. I'm pretty sure we did this with Hoffman, and Montreal tried to do it with Condon.

If they think McCormick, for example, is more likely to get claimed in week 3 of the season than in the final week of the pre-season and they see him playing spot duty on the 4th line, it can make sense to take that calculated risk.

It's definitely far-fetched but it's not like it's unprecedented. I just thought I'd mention it, even though I'd be very surprised to see it happen.
Well yeah I understand that. I mean why would we risk waiving a guy we want in the lineup a week later? He would still be waiver eligible regardless as far as I know

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I think they will do with Brown and Formenton what they did with Chabot, keep them for the western road trip and play them a game. Dorion after he sent down Chabot last year was humming over that strategy and helping prepare players to be a pro. Puts 50K in their pockets and shows what it takes, why not keep them up?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
McCormick is less likely to be picked up because of his 2nd year 1 way deal. He's an ok depth guy with decent fore checking speed and a bit of an agitator. Most teams probably think they have a guy who can fill that role already in their system.

As was said, if he clears he will not need waivers for 30 days or if he plays 10 NHL games whichever comes first.

As far as the D go, the Sens will probably start with 8.

So 13F + 8D + 2G = 23

***EDIT***

Guess I was wrong about the D since Chabot and Harpur have been assigned to Belleville. Guess the Sens plan to go with 7 D. They must really be high on Formenton to keep him even if it's just for a short while.

Last edited:

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
My guess is if he doesnt have one by start of the season then ottawa is going to play the wait and see what he does this season then sign him the last half of the season/off season but Formenton has earned an ELC and a few games to start the season imo

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well yeah I understand that. I mean why would we risk waiving a guy we want in the lineup a week later? He would still be waiver eligible regardless as far as I know

Three main reasons:

1) Players who have already cleared waivers are waiver exempt until they play 10 NHL games or are on the NHL roster for 30 days. This is cumulative, so for example: if we called up Max McCormick and he played 6 games with us, we wouldn't have to expose him to waivers to send him back down. But if we called him up again and he played another 5 games with us, that is 11 total games, and we would have to place him on waivers again. Note: this doesn't mean that we CAN'T put him on waivers again if we wanted to. Example: if we called Hammond up because Condon got hurt or something, even if Hammond ended up backing up Andy the whole time and never played a minute, even though he's waiver exempt, we can still place him on waivers if we want in case we think someone might claim him.

2) players who have cleared waivers are allowed to be called up and send back down without having to clear waivers again if it is on an Emergency Recall (ie: replacing an injured NHLer on the mail roster). Under the CBA, the player called up can spend up to 10 games or 30 days on the NHL roster on an emergency recall without having to be subjected to waivers again, and these games don't count towards the 10/30 threshold of point #1 above. So it serves as injury protection for a team - you know there's a guy you can trust to play NHL minutes on your AHL team, you can stash him there in case someone gets hurt without having him count against the cap, and it doesn't even count towards regular waiver eligibility games.

3) You can waive a guy but not send him down. When a player clears waivers, you can still keep him on the NHL roster (there's no rule that you HAVE to send a player down after he clears waivers), and he is still waiver exempt until he plays 10 NHL games or is on the roster for 30 days. This tactic has been used before by NHL teams in pre-season who want to buy a bit of extra time to evaluate their guys. Waive a guy early in preseason, but keep him around and you've bought yourself a month to figure out what you actually want to do with him. In 3 weeks, if you want to send him to the AHL? He's already cleared waivers and still has another week of waiver exemption - just send him down, no risk.

CBA: 13.5 Waiver Expiration.

The rights granted under this Article to Loan a Player(s) who is otherwise required to clear Regular Waivers to a minor league club expire for any Player(s) who, after clearing Regular Waivers:

(i) is not Loaned to a minor league club, or is Recalled from a minor league club (except on emergency Recall) and remains on an NHL roster for thirty (30) days (cumulative) or plays ten (10) NHL Games (cumulative), or

(ii) is Recalled from a minor league club on emergency Recall and plays in ten (10) NHL Games (cumulative) while on emergency Recall. For purposes of clarity, games played while on regular Recall shall not count towards the ten (10) NHL Games in this subsection (ii).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad