Player Discussion At 47 the Senators Select Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Decent pick.

Still would have preferred Brook or Farrance. Don't get the logic of passing up a potential 2nd pairing D for a potential 2nd/3rd line F.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Decent pick.

Still would have preferred Brook or Farrance. Don't get the logic of passing up a potential 2nd pairing D for a potential 2nd/3rd line F.

Because we have guys like Harpur/Claesson/Chabot/Englund/Jaros all with top 4 potential..

We have White/Brown/Chlapik/Perron with top 9 upside.. we needed more depth up front

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Decent pick.

Draft is deep with "potential 2nd pairing d"-type guys. Very shallow on skilled wingers.

If we think we can still get a roughly comparable defenceman with a later pick, it makes sense.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Don't know much about him.. hence ,, I would have preferred Comtois but .. I like the speed element Formenton has I hope he has the Hockey IQ as well

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Already has NHL speed and he's one of the youngest of this draft class.

I think if he can build up his strength, there's a lot of potential for a top 6 scoring role for this guy. I see some Hoffman in him but Formenton is a bit bigger which is great.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Love getting a guy with great skating skills and speed. Hopefully he has the hands and head to keep up with his feet.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't know anything about this guy, have never seen him play live or on tape.

Looking at the type of pick, the the Sens are banking on a steep development curve. Extremely young guy, recent growth spurt, good technical skills.

Happy with this pick as an uninformed fan.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Maybe he can follow in Pu's steps.
Don't know about his offensive instincts. 16 goals at his age is good though.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Sweet pick, young enough for the sens to mold him into what they want.

Just don't trade him for a fourth liner please

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Because we have guys like Harpur/Claesson/Chabot/Englund/Jaros all with top 4 potential..

We have White/Brown/Chlapik/Perron with top 9 upside.. we needed more depth up front

This is what I have been saying & hoping for, they needed forwards with some size much more than defence at this point.

Don't know much about him.. hence ,, I would have preferred Comtois but .. I like the speed element Formenton has I hope he has the Hockey IQ as well

I'm surprised they didn't go with Comtois but he has been falling for a while now, we have to ask why?

Already has NHL speed and he's one of the youngest of this draft class.

I think if he can build up his strength, there's a lot of potential for a top 6 scoring role for this guy. I see some Hoffman in him but Formenton is a bit bigger which is great.

Definitely needs to add more muscle, he should be interesting to watch next yr when he takes on a bigger role in London, we hope.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Ottawa Fans............Alex Formenton @ 47th Pick is a Gem!!
I watched most of the London Knight's Games last season and Formenton was a stand out even with limited ice time.
He is one the fastest players in Junior Hockey at any age.
He had good point totals for someone playing on the 3rd and 4th Lines for the Knights.
Here's a recent article about his climb from an 11th Round Pick in the OHL to a player who is now a legitimate contender as a future NHLer.
Ryan Pyette LFP Article:
Formenton was an 11th round pick in the 2015 OHL draft. He was five-foot-six and a scrawny kid. He had some skill and he could skate.
Still, not many scrawny five-foot-six wingers get a crack at junior hockey because many teams don’t want to give them the chance.
Former Knights general manager “Basil McRae’s brother lived up in the Barrie area and always watched GTHL games,” Knights general manager Rob Simpson said. “He kept saying ‘Hey this guy is really good. I know he’s small but he’s really, really good.’ He did some digging on him and he met the parents and you know it’s always a bit of a chance. He kept saying ‘I think he’s going to grow.’ He kept pushing.
“So obviously Basil and myself went out and watched and we continually saw things that we liked from Formenton. So in the 11th round it was definitely worth the risk, especially if he grew and even if he didn’t he might have been able to play with his skill set anyway.”
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/01/20/lo...ody-have-grown

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I expect his numbers will jump next season ala Athanasiou/Pu/Dvorak/Tierney to a PPG or higher

Still not sure if he has legitimate top 6 potential, but it's a good pick. Decent upside and is a pretty safe bet to play in the NHL one day.

Would like it a hell of a lot more if we already hadn't drafted a similar upside C/LW with our 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad