Player Discussion At 47 the Senators Select Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
landeskog and Skinner are another two off the top of my head who were kept around and excelled

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Formenton isn't signed to a contract so as of currently he cannot make the team.

If they want to give him a couple of games Dorion needs to get his ELC signed.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Formenton isn't signed to a contract so as of currently he cannot make the team.

If they want to give him a couple of games Dorion needs to get his ELC signed.
I believe he said Randy Lee is working on it

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
So what your saying is it isn't age but rather a case by case decision based on their level of progression at that point. Some first rounders (who were first rounders largely because of where they were in their development) and some second rounders because of their hockey IQ, it made sense for. That's pretty much what I was getting at; talent not age or draft status is the key.

Ok, so here, you are assuming guys were ruined because they were rushed, when in fact, we don't know why they didn't progress as expected. Maybe they would have stalled in the CHL or AHL too. You then go on to claim you haven't heard of anyone being hurt by spending too much time in junior, again, a completely un-provable claim one way or another; maybe some guys that developed in the AHL would have done better had they developed at a higher level, we'll never know.

To me, it's frankly quite simple; guys develop by being pushed to their limits. So long as you aren't putting guys over their head, and they are getting enough ice time, they'll develop. If a guy like Formenton can help the team win, while playing 16 mins a night in a role suitable for his skill set, he'll develop just fine. If he's not helping the team win, playing a role that doesn't fit his skillset, or he's not getting enough mins, send him down. It would be different if the team was a dumpster fire, but we have depth that he'd have to beat out to make the roster in the first place.

At this point, I think he's earned a game, and depending on how he does, we go from there. Keeping Chabot up didn't seem to ruin his development, even though he barely played a game while up for a month.

I believe there's pretty compelling evidence that putting a young player in a role he's not ready for can have negative consequences for his development.

It's also completely logical to think player many more minutes at a lower level can help a player's development more than playing limited minutes, especially if those are primarily defensive minutes in the NHL.

Overall my philosophy is to keep a young player in a development league until he proves he has nothing left to learn at that level, and is capable of making a difference in the NHL. Formenton has shown in the pre-season that he can make a positive impact for the team, but I think he still has a lot to learn at the OHL level, therefore should be sent down, maybe after getting a 1-9 game stint with the big club to reward him for his great play.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Formenton has been great but imo he should continue developing where he learns to dominate, lead and be a goto guy... Brown as well... keep them developing their games.. Brown can get stronger and a little faster

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I believe there's pretty compelling evidence that putting a young player in a role he's not ready for can have negative consequences for his development.

It's also completely logical to think player many more minutes at a lower level can help a player's development more than playing limited minutes, especially if those are primarily defensive minutes in the NHL.

Overall my philosophy is to keep a young player in a development league until he proves he has nothing left to learn at that level, and is capable of making a difference in the NHL. Formenton has shown in the pre-season that he can make a positive impact for the team, but I think he still has a lot to learn at the OHL level, therefore should be sent down, maybe after getting a 1-9 game stint with the big club to reward him for his great play.

Is anybody suggesting that we keep him up in a role he's not ready for? I certainly didn't. What's being said is if he proves he's ready, or that he warrants a longer look, his age shouldn't stop us from doing so, because it's not age that determines whether or not you are ready, it's skill.

Atm, it appears as though he'd get 2nd line duties in London. With the way Boucher runs things, he could potentially play in the Sens top too should he make the team (Hoffman would be on the third in this scenario)

Nobody want's him up only to play 7 mins on the 4th line, and nobody want's him playing in a role he can't handle. That said, so far in pre-season, and yes, it's just pre-season, he's should he can handle top 6 duties. The only way to find out if he can handle top 9 or top 6 duties in the NHL is to play him in that role. If he thrives, great, if not, send him back. It's really a nice problem to have afterall. He'll either play at this level and develop if he shows he's ready, or be sent down and develop in London if he's not.

Reactions: Boud

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Sounds like London could use him. They are last in their conference having lost last 2 games with a combined score 1-10.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't think weight is a concern at all. That would not be a factor in deciding if he stixks around or now.

It definitely should be. At his current strength and style of play, Formenton will be tossed around like a ragdoll. That increases the likelihood of getting injured significantly. Not only will he be hit hard, but he doesn't have the strength to properly brace himself to avoid 'board' injuries. Granted,a player can be hurt anywhere and doing anything (damned frozen chicken!) but I think we can agree, that a kid who is underweight is in far more danger playing in the NHL over the CHL.

Do we want this kid to have his career stunted by getting injured so early on? Look what injuries did to Cowen, or how it delayed Murray in Columbus. Even a young beast like Ekblad is now a question mark.

The organization should be doing everything it can to set up these kids to be positive assets for the organization for the next 10-15 years....not throw them into a situation they aren't ready for and have them effectively gone within a few seasons.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I don’t think he should stick around for the whole year but he should definitely be given 10 games with the Sens. He’s deserved it and hopefully 9-10 games on an NHL roster will be a nice little payday for the 18yo.

I know it was only pre-season but I’m pretty sure I saw him go and hit Byfuglien. There’s a lot more younger/lighter players in the NHL nowadays so I’m not worried. He’s already shown more offensive instinct than Lazar ever did.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I don’t think he should stick around for the whole year but he should definitely be given 10 games with the Sens. He’s deserved it and hopefully 9-10 games on an NHL roster will be a nice little payday for the 18yo.

I know it was only pre-season but I’m pretty sure I saw him go and hit Byfuglien. There’s a lot more younger/lighter players in the NHL nowadays so I’m not worried. He’s already shown more offensive instinct than Lazar ever did.

He did hit Byfuglien and did also get hit by Buf. Pretty much the toughest/biggest/strongest guy in the league and he handled it better than a lot of NHLers.

People talk about weight but there's a lot of NHL players on the smaller side now. Formenton is evasive and plays with speed, he's hard to get a hold of and I've rarely seen him get hit other than on the forecheck. He also Forechecks like a madman. I'd keep him up for a couple games for sure, see how it goes and evaluate again at the 9 game mark. He'd really have to impress to stick past the 9 game though.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I pretty much expect him to get the Chabot treatment, and I'd agree that him being physically ready or not is one of the biggest question marks.

My overall point is that prospects aren't ruined by being played at a young age; if a guy is ready, he's ready. No need to artificially hold guys back.

I think it depends entirely on the player.

Formenton could come in now and be a decent player. I'm sure he would continue to develop and grow but my suspicion is that it would stunt his ultimate potential.

I don't see it as artificially holding him back, it's more grooming him for a particular role by allowing him to develop specific parts of his game.

If all we think he can be is a Jason Chimera, then I don't see much risk in keeping him up. If we think he can be more like a Kreider then I think it would be better to allow him to develop offensive skills with guys of his age group.

That doesn't mean the ultimate upside can't be reached both ways, I'm just of the school of thought that at this level it's better to develop offensive skills against his own age group.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
landeskog and Skinner are another two off the top of my head who were kept around and excelled

Landeskog was 208 and fully developed physically. Can't really compare.

Skinner had next level skill and was a high first rounder. Again hard to compare.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Landeskog was 208 and fully developed physically. Can't really compare.

Skinner had next level skill and was a high first rounder. Again hard to compare.

Sure, and Formenton has elite speed, likely the best in his draft. Like you said, it depends on the player, but lots of people questioned whether or not Landeskog could transition to the NHL because he would no longer be a man among boys. Skinner was questioned because of his size and skating. These guys weren't sure things to thrive at that age, but now that they did, people pick a attribute and claim that's why they beat the odds. Same thing with Bergeron and O'Reilly.

In the end, the artificially holding them back only applies if he proves he can play at this level and is sent down anyways. My point is that holding him back should be done based on merit or lack there of, and not based on anything else. If he's contributing in the top 6 and learning on the go, that's unlikely to stunt his development, rather, facing the highest level of competition that he's ready for is likely to fast track his development.

If he's ready, keep him up. If he's not, send him down. Forget how old he is, it's not relevant.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Formenton is very young, light in weight, and has never excelled in junior. I think he should return to junior, develop his skills, and tear up the league if he can.

Next year, he will be more mature, have developed mor strength and skill, and be more capable of competing with men.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Formenton is very young, light in weight, and has never excelled in junior. I think he should return to junior, develop his skills, and tear up the league if he can.

Next year, he will be more mature, have developed mor strength and skill, and be more capable of competing with men.

In the 2nd half of his junior year, he did pretty good. I wonder if there is a link with his growth spur and him doing better last spring... :)

He had the skills and the speed to perform but when you're 5,7 - 5,8 it could be mentally tough . It could easily be all of this and his confidence affected his play.

Now he knows he can succeed.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What a showing from this kid. Very promising to have Formenton, Chlapik, Brown, White coming up in the very near future to boost our top 9 forwards.

Formenton can end up being the 2nd or 3rd best of that group.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Great pick by the scouts, great trade of Lazar by Dorion to get this pick, great camp by Formenton.

But send him back to JR. Solid program in London to progress, he’ll be on the WJC, top line minutes and #1 PP in London. Formenton might be ready next year but he’s not ready for an NHL season - Formenton is impressive.

Reactions: Tremblay31

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yes he will be going back. Look forward to his junior season.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Sounds like London could use him. They are last in their conference having lost last 2 games with a combined score 1-10.
To be fair they're missing their 6 best players who are still at NHL camps in Mete, Pu, Formenton, Thomas, Juolevi and Jones. And 5/6 have a good chance at making their teams opening lineups. Only one who undoubtedly will be sent back is Pu.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
To be fair they're missing their 6 best players who are still at NHL camps in Mete, Pu, Formenton, Thomas, Juolevi and Jones. And 5/6 have a good chance at making their teams opening lineups. Only one who undoubtedly will be sent back is Pu.

Actually Pu,Jones and Thomas are back
and played in their 5-0 loss last night at home vs Kingston.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Really impressed that he's been able to make it this far as a kid who only just turned 18 but if he stays with the big club he has burnout written all over him. Both physically and mentally. I can see it being like the Leon Draisaitl situation where he plays 30'ish games and ends up getting sent back down around the new year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad