Player Discussion At 47 the Senators Select Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I dont think Formenton being unsigned has much to do with the HC allegations. Might be a factor, but I think the big hold-up is whether they will trade him or not OR how to get him signed to a contract that will allow him to fit beyond this season.

When it comes down to it, they will have no problem locking him up for a year or two.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I agree, it should be bye bye Formenton when the dust settles. It sucks how he got pizza guy Batherson involved, I suspect Bath isn't too pleased with that. I won't judge Bath negatively, as I was once at a party in my 20s where similar weird stuff was going on upstairs and I left uncomfortably a short time later, no way I'd participate even if I knew she was into it, not my thing at all. Everything was probably on the up and up, just weird, but I had no way of knowing for sure.
There is so much outrageous speculation going on there. Especially the part where Formenton is to blame for something you dont know anything about for Batherson a persons potential involvement you know nothing about.

Believe we will next season, won't be this season
He is going to end up playing somewhere. Why wouldnt it be here? Maybe he even plays this year who knows.

Reactions: playasRus

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
There is so much outrageous speculation going on there. Especially the part where Formenton is to blame for something you dont know anything about for Batherson a persons potential involvement you know nothing about.
You're right, I shouldn't speculate. I'll delete my post, please delete the quoted part.

Reactions: Bileur

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Believe we will next season, won't be this season

I don't know - we have two young progressive women in charge of the team.

I suspect that if/when the hammer drops, there will be a lot of demands in the local media, letters to the editor etc. to ship him out of town entirely.

We'll know more soon enough I guess.

Reactions: NB613 and Ice-Tray

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I dont think Formenton being unsigned has much to do with the HC allegations. Might be a factor, but I think the big hold-up is whether they will trade him or not OR how to get him signed to a contract that will allow him to fit beyond this season.

When it comes down to it, they will have no problem locking him up for a year or two.
Why would they trade him if the HC thing isnt an issue?... He is literally exactly what they need a fast two way forward on an affordable contract, home grown too. Logic doesnt add up. They also dont have the cap space to add a D man and keep Debrincat next season.

I don't know - we have two young progressive women in charge of the team.

I suspect that if/when the hammer drops, there will be a lot of demands in the local media, letters to the editor etc. to ship him out of town entirely.

We'll know more soon enough I guess.
Hopefully this organization doesnt make decisions based on the fan bases feelings. If so Montreal would have picked Wright and the young d man they drafted would be gone. Instead they picked Mailloux and have invested in the organization and the player to help him realize his mistakes, educate and rehabilitate him as a person.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why would they trade him if the HC thing isnt an issue?... He is literally exactly what they need a fast two way forward on an affordable contract, home grown too. Logic doesnt add up. They also dont have the cap space to add a D man and keep Debrincat next season.
Arizona might want him for Chychrun

He would be a perfect target for them if the HC stuff isn't legit

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hopefully this organization doesn't make decisions based on the fan bases feelings.

Well, as Mrs_NyQuil said to me earlier today, it certainly sucks that the timing of the comeuppance for this kind of behaviour affects our competitiveness as a team, but as a woman she doesn't exactly have a problem with it being dealt with so harshly and so publicly because it should make future prospects think twice about their decision-making.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Arizona might want him for Chychrun

He would be a perfect target for them if the HC stuff isn't legit
So that would mean they are dealing Debrincat or Zub. Chychrun for 3 years then walk to UFA isnt the move. He doesnt even play the position of weakness. Never made sense for the sens and their cap situation. Zub is a better fit anyway.

Well, as Mrs_NyQuil said to me earlier today, it certainly sucks that the timing of the comeuppance for this kind of behaviour affects our competitiveness as a team, but as a woman she doesn't exactly have a problem with it being dealt with so harshly and so publicly because it should make future prospects think twice about their behaviour.
The rumored year suspension isnt enough?... There was already a criminal investigation, his life will be tainted/ruined already. I would hope that this organization is into rehabilitation for a teenage mistake. That clearly is more of a cultural organizational issue with hockey canada. Thats the fundamental problem here.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
So that would mean they are dealing Debrincat or Zub. Chychrun for 3 years then walk to UFA isnt the move. He doesnt even play the position of weakness. Never made sense for the sens and their cap situation. Zub is a better fit anyway.

The rumored year suspension isnt enough?... There was already a criminal investigation, his life will be tainted/ruined already. I would hope that this organization is into rehabilitation for a teenage mistake. That clearly is more of a cultural organizational issue with hockey canada. Thats the fundamental problem here.
If we get Chychrun and Zub walks its not the end of the world tbh though I don't think Zub will make a ton of money for what he brings. Sanderson Chabot and Chychrun is a nastyyyy defense

Remember cap is probably going up 9mill after two seasons

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
If we get Chychrun and Zub walks its not the end of the world tbh though I don't think Zub will make a ton of money for what he brings. Sanderson Chabot and Chychrun is a nastyyyy defense

Idk, we need to make some room for Matthews

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Need shut down d men to win. Zub is one of the best in the league and plays right. Look at tampa and what they did to the Florida and NYR offenses in the playoffs. Three lefties that all play the same style, I dont think thats a recipe for winning. Zub is a better fit with Chabot and Sanderson and will make way less money long term. The cap goes up 9 million to give Pinto and Sanderson their raises.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I'm not speaking in terms of what I think is fair, or just, but rather my expectations of how these things play out nowadays.

Unlike criminal punishment, there are not set terms for punishments in the social sphere. You don't "do your time" and then are released into society. There's some kind of arbitrary "you've suffered enough so we'll let you redeem yourself" kind of attitude which lacks a great deal of specificity.

Heatley had to go somewhere else for his mistake. Kane had to go somewhere else. A new venue offers a fresh start.

As for Hockey Canada, that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's not as if these guys are angels until they end up on the national team and then suddenly become problems. The culture starts far earlier and is far broader than one organization.

How HC handled it is a separate issue of course.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Need shut down d men to win. Zub is one of the best in the league and plays right. Look at tampa and what they did to the Florida and NYR offenses in the playoffs. Three lefties that all play the same style, I dont think thats a recipe for winning. Zub is a better fit with Chabot and Sanderson and will make way less money long term. The cap goes up 9 million to give Pinto and Sanderson their raises.
I dont agree with Zub being one of the best shut down defensemen in the league. He slowed down part way through the year last year.

Just my opinion i guess...but Chychrun is better all around

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Silver lining if the speculation about suspension is true.

We would easily be able to add Formenton on a 1 x 1M deal for 2023/24 which would be ideal for the cap crunch that season.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I'm not speaking in terms of what I think is fair, or just, but rather my expectations of how these things play out nowadays.

Unlike criminal punishment, there are not set terms for punishments in the social sphere. You don't "do your time" and then are released into society. There's some kind of arbitrary "you've suffered enough so we'll let you redeem yourself" kind of attitude which lacks a great deal of specificity.

Heatley had to go somewhere else for his mistake. Kane had to go somewhere else. A new venue offers a fresh start.

As for Hockey Canada, that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's not as if these guys are angels until they end up on the national team and then suddenly become problems. The culture starts far earlier and is far broader than one organization.

How HC handled it is a separate issue of course.
I wonder though if nothing is proven which is what seems likely about what occurred if Formenton still gets punished by the league.

Its is an interesting case. Does the league send a message without sufficient evidence? A case like this seems like it will be hard to prove.

The other issue is the optics. If we find out Formenton was indeed the player in question but is not punished do the fans accept it? I tend to think with Montreal and Toronto so close by that the opinions will be strong for him to be suspended. That might not be 'fair' but then again the victim was seriously hurt

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I dont agree with Zub being one of the best shut down defensemen in the league. He slowed down part way through the year last year.

Just my opinion i guess...but Chychrun is better all around
He's definitely not better defensively. Zub had to carry bad partners on a terrible team all year long playing the hardest minutes on the team. Its not an easy job a little dip in play is to be expected when you have no support.

Reactions: Alex1234

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
To use him to land a top 4 Dman.

Reactions: Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Idk, I think they have a chance at fitting it in

Sign DeBrincat at ~8.5x8
Replace guys like Watson, Motte, Gambrell, ect with equivalents or guys on ELC such as Greig
Trade Zaitsev with no retention, Brannstrom ect in the package.
bridge Pinto ~1.7-2
Replace Hamonic and Holden with JBD and Thomson
Let Sogaard take Talbot's spot
Sign Zub at ~4.2

That gets us to ~83 cap hit, really tight but plausible imo. Might need to move a guy like Joseph, probably end up with an ELC or similar contract in his spot to give us an extra 2mil in flexibility.

For the 2023-2024 season

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stützle-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Sokolov
Kelly-Kastelic-Boucher/Crookshank/Waston type?

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Thomson
Chychrun-JBD
Guinette

Forsberg
Sogaard

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
It makes sense to trade him if we don't think we can keep him long-term and if we think we can parlay him (+ Zaitsev?) into a viable top 4 D.

If Formenton is going to make ~4.5-6m over the 2023-2024/2024-2025 seasons, plus the 4.5m owed to Zaistev next year, it makes some sense to parlay those two into, say, Connor Murphy from Chicago.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's definitely not better defensively. Zub had to carry bad partners on a terrible team all year long playing the hardest minutes on the team. Its not an easy job a little dip in play is to be expected when you have no support.
He played most of his time with one of Chabot or Holden. I thought you liked Holden? He did get a fair amount with Brannstrom too, so I guess that's who you're referring to as a bad partner?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Wonder if we can offer Formenton:

Year 1 (2022-2023): 1M, 1M signing bonus
Year 2: 1.3M
Year 3: 1.6M

He get's paid even if suspended because it's a signing bonus.
Year 2-3 have a low cap hit of 1.3M but his take home is 1.95M per year of hockey played.
In that scenario,
Total money is 4.9 million, so cap hit for each year, is 1.633.
Salary while suspended goes to NHLPA retired players that are struggling, but counts towards the cap.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
He played most of his time with one of Chabot or Holden. I thought you liked Holden? He did get a fair amount with Brannstrom too, so I guess that's who you're referring to as a bad partner?
Maybe not all year long but certainly when Chabot went down for 25 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad