Player Discussion At 47 the Senators Select Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
There are many, many, many things in life more important than winning hockey games.

If our two kids are innocent, I'll welcome them on the team with open arms. If one or both are guilty, I don't care how much it hurts the team, I don't want someone guilty of what happened after that party wearing my teams' uniform. A second chance can be given by a different team.

Now all that being said, I'm not surprised Formenton isn't in camp yet. We had a number of our core kids get big deals the last two years, it's only natural for him to want a piece of that pie. I mean....there isn't much pie left! We're hitting damned close to the cap, and only player we want to move is Zaitsev, and that doesn't open up all that much space.

Why can't we be the ones to give him a second chance exactly?

What's wrong with second chances?

Havlat did, though to be fair he was only a third liner because Hossa and Alfredsson were blocking his path to the top 6.

You could argue formenton would be on path to the second line but we have 40 goal debrincat(Hossa) and 30 goal captain (Alfredsson) ahead of him.

17 goal rookie season playing PK is nothing to sneeze at. Havlat got 19 goals as a rookie with pp time and no pk time, but he was a year or two younger.

Reactions: bert

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Speculation aside about off ice issues and involvement, the delays make a certain amount of sense. In formenton’s first full year, he scores 18, is officially clocked as the second fastest skater in the league, and positions himself as an elite PKer and shorthand weapon. In other situations where we didn’t have the off-season we did, everyone would be lining him up in the top 6 and talking about his potential as a perennial 20 goal scorer. Instead, we’re all talking about how little we can pay him and have him firmly penciled on the 3rd line.

I can see how his camp and team management are coming from extremely different perspectives and salary starting points.

To be clear, if formenton has a future on this team, it will be on the 3rd line and not much opportunity to move up. But I can see why he’d be pushing for more in terms of salary and role given his strong season last year.

Reactions: bert

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Speculation aside about off ice issues and involvement, the delays make a certain amount of sense. In formenton’s first full year, he scores 18, is officially clocked as the second fastest skater in the league, and positions himself as an elite PKer and shorthand weapon. In other situations where we didn’t have the off-season we did, everyone would be lining him up in the top 6 and talking about his potential as a perennial 20 goal scorer. Instead, we’re all talking about how little we can pay him and have him firmly penciled on the 3rd line.

I can see how his camp and team management are coming from extremely different perspectives and salary starting points.

To be clear, if formenton has a future on this team, it will be on the 3rd line and not much opportunity to move up. But I can see why he’d be pushing for more in terms of salary and role given his strong season last year.
You are assuming Debrincat signs a new contract with us. Formenton could become our 2nd line LW if Debrincat wants to play in the USA. I want to sign Formenton to be our 3rd line LW and on the PK. If necessary we can trade him if Debrincat signs to play here.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
If our two kids are innocent, I'll welcome them on the team with open arms. If one or both are guilty, I don't care how much it hurts the team, I don't want someone guilty of what happened after that party wearing my teams' uniform.

You say that like we know what happened. We don't. Even one of the players who was there doesn't know what happened.

Assen na yo!

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You are assuming Debrincat signs a new contract with us. Formenton could become our 2nd line LW if Debrincat wants to play in the USA. I want to sign Formenton to be our 3rd line LW and on the PK. If necessary we can trade him if Debrincat signs to play here.

Right, but we don't know if we won't have DeBrincat. So differing contract numbers likely stem from:

Formenton wants to be paid like an emerging 2nd line winger (i.e. 3.75-4.75M per year)
Ottawa wants to pay Formenton like a 3rd line winger and maintain flexibility to try and keep DeBrincat (i.e. 2.5-3M per year)

The HC issue complicates things on top of the above.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Right, but we don't know if we won't have DeBrincat. So differing contract numbers likely stem from:

Formenton wants to be paid like an emerging 2nd line winger (i.e. 3.75-4.75M per year)
Ottawa wants to pay Formenton like a 3rd line winger and maintain flexibility to try and keep DeBrincat (i.e. 2.5-3M per year)

I agree. We could sign Formenton to a shorter term contract now and see if he does become a top 6 player.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Alex birthday was last week. The team have not birthday wishes him on social media. Brady last year when not signed , the team have it

Reactions: Sensators

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Alex birthday was last week. The team have not birthday wishes him on social media. Brady last year when not signed , the team have it
Clear sign the team knows he's guilty :sarcasm:

I'm not sure even if we didn't have DeBrincat I'd be lining up to sign Formenton to a 3M x 3 years contract.

I think he needs a 1-2 year contract at 2-2.25M to really proves he sticks with that production rather than a fluke year where he was able to bounce up and down the line up due to injuries.

If he's clamouring for a 3+ length contract, I could see the major hold up. A two year contract also benefits him as much as the team as a lot of dead cap comes off then. His only caveat would be if we re-sign Debrincat and another top 4 D, he'll be a cap casualty and or burried on the 3rd line where he can't go for his big pay day at 24 years old.

Signing a 1 year deal, producing at more than 15-15 rate and signing a 3 year (3-3.5M) contingent on top 6 minutes for the 2023-2024 season and forward would be my goal to maximize my UFA payday. In all likelyhood, top 6 winger ice time will be available in 2 years as Giroux slows down. The only fall back here is injuries.

Reactions: Cosmix

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Sens offered Formenton the QO, of course he rejected it, players always do, as it is merely procedural.

Where is the negotiation? Has there been another offer?

Probably not.

Sens are wisely letting the dust settle before attempting to sign Formenton. They know what they are doing, and I agree with the Sens' approach. It's the easiest way to avoid problems.

I'll be shocked if he is signed without being cleared first.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Sens offered Formenton the QO, of course he rejected it, players always do, as it is merely procedural.

Where is the negotiation? Has there been another offer?

Probably not.

Sens are wisely letting the dust settle before attempting to sign Formenton. They know what they are doing, and I agree with the Sens' approach. It's the easiest way to avoid problems.

I'll be shocked if he is signed without being cleared first.
Cleared from what, the allegations? Is there even going to be a point in time where players are officially clear? Doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Either way, in a normal setting there would be much discussion about his contract status, and why he’s missing camp without a deal.

Think about it, he’s missing camp without a deal and there is not a single word from other players, media, the team, or the player himself.

Suffice it to say that all is not normal in today’s setting surrounding Formenton.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
it isn’t going to be hush hush when he is missing games for not having a contract. At that point we need to hear from the team or his agent that these are normal negotiations or there are special circumstances holding this up

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
it isn’t going to be hush hush when he is missing games for not having a contract. At that point we need to hear from the team or his agent that these are normal negotiations or there are special circumstances holding this up

Eh, I don't think the fans are owed anything. All we'll get is a generic "we haven't been able to come to an agreement" and the team will move it.

The reality is that 99% of sports reporters are not Rick Westhead. They don't want to ask these types of questions or write these types of columns. They're not going to dig. They'd much prefer to talk about defense pairings. And that's fine.

At this point, I think it's safe to just exclude Formenton from any plans for this season.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Eh, I don't think the fans are owed anything. All we'll get is a generic "we haven't been able to come to an agreement" and the team will move it.

The reality is that 99% of sports reporters are not Rick Westhead. They don't want to ask these types of questions or write these types of columns. They're not going to dig. They'd much prefer to talk about defense pairings. And that's fine.

At this point, I think it's safe to just exclude Formenton from any plans for this season.
Also, I think that there is a respect for the process from regular media right now.

We don’t have any new information, all that can really happen in media is whipping up a shit storm that ruins the player.

I think most journalists with an ounce of integrity would stay away from doing that without evidence to back it up.

If the story breaks and we get more info, there will be questions and articles, but until then it’s best not to inadvertently destroy a young man’s career.

I’m sure someone will ask at media day, and like you said, the team will make a milquetoast response and move on.

Reactions: coladin

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I am not sure of that at all. Only guy in the Ottawa sports media who might do so is Ian Mendes. The rest of them will not touch the topic.
I think it’s a pretty simple question that any number of our reporters would ask, unless they know a little more and leave it alone. It’s not just Bruce at the scrums, and I’ve heard lots of fair questions before from some of the other agency reporters.
It will be interesting to see if this is something that gets brought up or not. If not it’s definitely because they have been asked not to at this time you’d have to assume.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Either way, in a normal setting there would be much discussion about his contract status, and why he’s missing camp without a deal.

Think about it, he’s missing camp without a deal and there is not a single word from other players, media, the team, or the player himself.

Suffice it to say that all is not normal in today’s setting surrounding Formenton.
That's about my thoughts on it. Something is amiss here and I will be surprised if he just gets signed and shows up at camp.

Reactions: Ice-Tray
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad