At 20th Overall the Kings Select Rasmus Kupari

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
It's a confusing time in a lot of ways as a hockey fan and Kings fan. We see the league has changed to a speedier game but do we try to follow or do we try to create an identity of our own?

We tried following the trends for much of the late 90s (Matt Zultek) and that didn't pay off. What was eventually successful was creating an identity of our own. This has also worked for teams like the Canadiens, Devils and even the Stars to a degree.

Yet, with the rule changes and the league moving away from physical play, I have to wonder if that is still a viable solution?

I believe it still can be, but until we're able to really evaluate what we have in our system and how to build around their strengths, it seems like this teams future is really in limbo.

I don't think we need to necessary follow the trend. Although the cup winning teams were physical and played heavy, our success came from a strong puck possession play. Without puck possession, the Kings physical/heavy game would not win us the cups.

The Kings need to keep a puck possession/puck hound style of hockey going forward, which left our system when Sutter was fired. That does not mean we can't have a fast/skilled team as well. I just don't want us to employ a run and gun system, which in my opinion is not a recipe for success.

I look at the Kings young players (Kempe, Wagner, AI, Gundstrom, and Luff) and they play a possession/puck hound style. Mix in skill/talent in the top 6 to complement these great bottom 6 players, and add a coach that can emphasize puck possession, and I think we will be competitive again.

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Funny enough, you know what's actually impressive about Tampa Bay? It's not the speed. It's how sound they are fundamentally. I wish the Kings were half as good at moving the puck. The passes are crisp and decisive. They hardly ever hesitate on anything. They get so many one-timers as a result of it and their PP takes full advantage of the extra space with that movement. It's like watching a really good passing basketball team. They hardly have to move.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Good post. I don't know if I've said it here more than maybe once but I've been saying for years that scoring would go up if play became less north south and more east west. That's exactly what Tampa does.

Like remember how Gretz used the entire ice? Like that. Those quick east west passes leave teams scrambling.

Reactions: yankeeking

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Good post. I don't know if I've said it here more than maybe once but I've been saying for years that scoring would go up if play became less north south and more east west. That's exactly what Tampa does.

Like remember how Gretz used the entire ice? Like that. Those quick east west passes leave teams scrambling.

That's pretty much exactly what systems are designed to prevent, though. It's not as simple as 'just play east west more.' I agree with you that'll open up scoring as D and G can't get set in those moments but it takes some serious talent to open things up like that.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
That's pretty much exactly what systems are designed to prevent, though. It's not as simple as 'just play east west more.' I agree with you that'll open up scoring as D and G can't get set in those moments but it takes some serious talent to open things up like that.

Kinda disagree. The puck always moves faster than any skater. Do teams and systems try prevent them? Of course. But quick puck movement is pretty hard to prevent.

Notice on our pp that they hold onto the puck too long. It should be less than 2 seconds before the next player recieves the puck. This makes the D move and with their movement opportunity arises.

Easier said than done for sure.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Kinda disagree. The puck always moves faster than any skater. Do teams and systems try prevent them? Of course. But quick puck movement is pretty hard to prevent.

Notice on our pp that they hold onto the puck too long. It should be less than 2 seconds before the next player recieves the puck. This makes the D move and with their movement opportunity arises.

Easier said than done for sure.
You have to have talent though to move the puck quickly and accurately. Moving the puck quickly doesn't mean shit if it bounces off the receiver's stick or misses him by 3 feet and bounces off the boards,. You know...Kings hockey.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
You have to have talent though to move the puck quickly and accurately. Moving the puck quickly doesn't mean **** if it bounces off the receiver's stick or misses him by 3 feet and bounces off the boards,. You know...Kings hockey.

True. But they are NHL players and they should be able to deliver the puck smoothly. If that's not a practice issue then I don't know what is.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I dunno, these guys have been passing pucks for 16-20 years of their life by the time the get to the NHL. If they can't do it by then, not sure how much more practice is going to help.

Oh, I agree. This team confuses the hell out of me.

A lot of it is muscle memory though so maybe that should be worked on more? Don't ya think?

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
First playoff round for Kärpät is done, they swept Ilves 4-0 and are on to the semifinals. Kupari was scoreless and -2 in the series. Not much to comment about his game, mostly just invisible and didn't really get anything going playing in the 2nd line. I'm very doubtful about him playing in the NHL next year unless he has a monster summer and camp. I don't think he is ready just yet, needs seasoning and some growth mentally. Tools are definitely there though.

Reactions: Vino and King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
First playoff round for Kärpät is done, they swept Ilves 4-0 and are on to the semifinals. Kupari was scoreless and -2 in the series. Not much to comment about his game, mostly just invisible and didn't really get anything going playing in the 2nd line. I'm very doubtful about him playing in the NHL next year unless he has a monster summer and camp. I don't think he is ready just yet, needs seasoning and some growth mentally. Tools are definitely there though.

Looking at the boxscores, it seems the vets are carrying this team. Is that a fair assessment?

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
Looking at the boxscores, it seems the vets are carrying this team. Is that a fair assessment?
Yes that is fair. Kärpät has an incredibly good roster this year with many KHL caliber players there (not a lot of those in Liiga). That is probably not ideal for Kupari as he could use a bigger role and imo he is maybe 6th to 8th best forward on that team when everyone are healthy. If he doesn't make the Kings roster next year I wouldn't mind seeing him back in Oulu, because he would almost certainly get a huge role on Kärpät as that roster will most likely blow up after this playoff run. It would obviously be good for him to get to know NA hockey on Reign too, but he would likely get less minutes and responsibility there. Either way, Reign or Kärpät, he needs big minutes and role.

Reactions: Vino

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
He's already signed his ELC and I'm sure they were more than satisfied with his work this season. I personally think he'll get at least 9 games with the team, but that depends on how many of the veterans are going to get cut during the offseason.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Odds are definitely in favor of Kupari coming to North America for his 19 year old season. He'll get a very good look in camp as spots should be wide open. Most likely plays with the Reign next year but you never know.

Reactions: BigKing

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
Kupari got scratched for game 2 of semifinals. Has disappeared badly during playoffs and has no points in 5 games so far. Kärpät 5-0 in the playoffs.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

What do you mean? I've read on here that he's penciled in for 2nd line duties next season along with every other prospect. They are all ready!!!

He's had a good year on a stacked team. We are all pleased with his season but it isn't like he is all of a sudden a Top 5 guy in a redraft. There is zero reason to push him into the NHL next season unless he destroys training camp. Even then, it should be handled carefully.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Kid is probably pissed his season is still going and he missed a shot at skating with the Kings this season. If the top Nhl team was in the second round and scratched a 19 yo rookie, who has 7 points in 10 playoff games, which is inline with his season average, you’d chalk it up to a youthful attitude.

Something that is not unusual and part of growing up. But if you have some kind of agenda, yea, I can see how the kid is trash and a looming bust. Sounds like Rasmus might think Ontario is paradise compared to Oulu, nevermind Manhattan Beach.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Kid is probably pissed his season is still going and he missed a shot at skating with the Kings this season. If the top Nhl team was in the second round and scratched a 19 yo rookie, who has 7 points in 10 playoff games, which is inline with his season average, you’d chalk it up to a youthful attitude.

Something that is not unusual and part of growing up. But if you have some kind of agenda, yea, I can see how the kid is trash and a looming bust. Sounds like Rasmus might think Ontario is paradise compared to Oulu, nevermind Manhattan Beach.

I don't think anyone is saying he is an impending bust, but I'm definitely saying he isn't a Top 6 NHL player next season.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I don't think anyone is saying he is an impending bust, but I'm definitely saying he isn't a Top 6 NHL player next season.

If next year Kupari plays 75 games, scores 35 points and skates 15 minutes a game, I consider that a good performance whatever the standings. If the Kings insert a bunch of rookies next year, how much worse could it be than now? I think the only way to stunt their development is to force some prospect to be a defensive stalwart before they earn steady minutes. Definitely not in favor of pampered vets, coasting on past achievements.

Reactions: LAKings88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad