At 20th Overall the Kings Select Rasmus Kupari

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I think part of why he gets relatively little hype from us Finns is that he was quite a big faller last year. At the beginning of the season he was speculated to be a potential top-5 pick, but he didn't have much success in Liiga and his play raised questions about his hockey smarts. At least in my eyes he has been miles better this season, I'd expect him to become a good top-6 forward.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I think part of why he gets relatively little hype from us Finns is that he was quite a big faller last year. At the beginning of the season he was speculated to be a potential top-5 pick, but he didn't have much success in Liiga and his play raised questions about his hockey smarts. At least in my eyes he has been miles better this season, I'd expect him to become a good top-6 forward.
That plus the way he was basically tilted out of his mind in the U20's. Looked like he only cared about his own scoring. I still see that happening in Liiga whenever everyone else is on the board and Kupari isn't.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
LOL. What Kings team have you watched? They only had the best player of all time as well as another absolute legend in Marcel Dionne and that's easily undebateable. I like the kid and all but he's still not even close to Kurri, Palffy or Kopitar either.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
LOL. What Kings team have you watched? They only had the best player of all time as well as another absolute legend in Marcel Dionne and that's easily undebateable. I like the kid and all but he's still not even close to Kurri, Palffy or Kopitar either.

I knew this was coming, or course. I saw most hundreds of Dionne's games. I remember getting the LA Herald Examine newspaper and reading about getting him from the Red Wings. I had season seats when they got Gretzky and saw most all of his games. Talked with Kurri and Sandstrom in Caesars Palace after the King / Ranger preseason game in Caesars parking lot rink...and saw Bernie Nicholls at a concert at Universal Amphitheatre and said hi to him and talked some. I have seen all King players since 1973. Like Jim Fox, Daryl Evans, Nick Nickson, Bob Miller, Pete Demers and a handful of others, I was at both the Miracle on Mansheter and Frenzy on Figueroa...and at game 3 of the Cup Finals in 93 and saw that freaking LeClair OT goal from about 50 feet away. Palffy was awesome. Demitra was very skilled.

I did NOT say Rasmus Kupari is better than any of them. I said the Kings have never had a player like Rasmus Kupari. They haven't. He just turned 19 and is just getting started. His skating and puck skills are phenomenal. All those clips are at the age of 18 and there's a lot more clips that were not on there.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
To clarify you mean an 17, 18, 19 year old player, right? I believe that Kopitar was better at that age.

Though PJB can speak for himself, I don't think he means most talented. It sounds like he feels Kupari's collection of talents (in particular, speed, stickhandling abilities, etc) are unique. Like, he doesn't have Kopitar's size to protect the puck, Gretzky's IQ, etc.

I'm not sure if I subscribe to that theory, either, since Patrick O'Sullivan had similar hands and good speed. Then again, the Kings acquired him when he was a few years older.

But that's my interpretation.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Though PJB can speak for himself, I don't think he means most talented. It sounds like he feels Kupari's collection of talents (in particular, speed, stickhandling abilities, etc) are unique. Like, he doesn't have Kopitar's size to protect the puck, Gretzky's IQ, etc.

I'm not sure if I subscribe to that theory, either, since Patrick O'Sullivan had similar hands and good speed. Then again, the Kings acquired him when he was a few years older.

But that's my interpretation.

Let me start off by saying, as I meant to add a PS in last post, that I totally admire PJB and his long term commitment to this team, his qualificatations as an evaluator, and would love to some day sit down for a cup of coffee or a beer and just listen. To repeat, I admire his knowledge and experience.

I do agree that's what he was getting at KP. I do however have my reservations as we've seen this before and have seen how it doesn't always pan out the way we hope and expect.

Brodeur, another who has a vast understaning, mentioned 93 earlier, it was the Lindros draft for me.

You, and guys like Ziggy, K17, BK Herby, KP KoR etc etc are all core long time posters whose opinions I value as well. We've got a good group here and sorry if I left any else off but it's still early and brain is not at full capacity.

That being said, I am much more weary when it comes to our prospects because seemingly for years we had found gold in the draft only to see them turn into pyrite. Some of that was due to a lack of a development system and part due to their games that just didn't translate.

Admittedly, I have not seen as much of him as I like, but what does concern me are some of the comments by Finns who have seen him more, and those comments are often critical of his hockey sense. That is concerning.

Highlight videos are great and give an impression of the talents the players do have. Yet, their downside is that they don't show the mistakes.

I am hopeful for Kupari, but I also think it is a bit premature and hyperbolic to annoint him as he did when as you mentioned there have been guys like OSullivan, Cammalleri, Rosa and even Tukkonen who also displayed similar skills.

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Let me start off by saying, as I meant to add a PS in last post, that I totally admire PJB and his long term commitment to this team, his qualificatations as an evaluator, and would love to some day sit down for a cup of coffee or a beer and just listen. To repeat, I admire his knowledge and experience.

I do agree that's what he was getting at KP. I do however have my reservations as we've seen this before and have seen how it doesn't always pan out the way we hope and expect.

Brodeur, another who has a vast understaning, mentioned 93 earlier, it was the Lindros draft for me.

You, and guys like Ziggy, K17, BK Herby, etc etc are all core long time posters whose opinions I value as well. We've got a good group here and sorry if I left any else off but it's still early and brain is not fully capacity.

That being said, I am much more weary when it comes to our prospects because seemingly for years we had found gold in the draft only to see them turn into pyrite. Some of that was due to a lack of a development system and part due to their games that just didn't translate.

Admittedly, I have not seen as much of him as I like, but what does concern me are some of the comments by Finns who have seen him more, and those comments are often critical of his hockey sense. That is concerning.

Highlight videos are great and give an impression of the talents the players do have. Yet, their downside is that they don't show the mistakes.

I am hopeful for Kupari, but I also think it is a bit premature and hyperbolic to annoint him as he did when as you mentioned there have been guys like OSullivan, Cammalleri, Rosa and even Tukkonen who also displayed similar skills.
I’m guilty of hoping a bit too much for prospects. I’ve been tempered by the Shores, Dowds, Weals, and Amadios. Not sold on college free agents all that much either. Kupari I think will be another Kempe like player. He is a low first rounder. But he is probably the Kings top offensive prospect barring Vilardi’s return. The Finns are having a great run at the moment and Kupari seems on par with other youngsters. Doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL. Just that the Kings prospect pool isn’t exactly elite and I’m hoping he is a steal. Expectations should be tempered but I think he can take a spot if everything goes well at camp.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I’m guilty of hoping a bit too much for prospects. I’ve been tempered by the Shores, Dowds, Weals, and Amadios. Not sold on college free agents all that much either. Kupari I think will be another Kempe like player. He is a low first rounder. But he probably the Kings top offensive prospect barring Vilardi’s return. The Finns are having a great run at the moment and Kupari seems on par with other youngsters. Expectations should be tempered but I think he can take a spot if everything goes well at camp.

Me too. Been there and done that too many times.

I don't disagree at all. One step at a time.

I think we all (sports fans) put too heavy of expectations on people who are still kids because this is Hockey's Future afterall. And in today's world with the added pressure of social media I think those expectations can be even more detrimental than they once were.

Reactions: LAKings88

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think he'll be a big goal scorer in the NHL. His shot just keeps going through goalies there (how many of those pucks end up right in the middle of the net?) and that bigass windup will just get blocked consistently here. But he has an array of other tools that will make him a successful playmaker imo, especially his speed and shiftiness.

Reminds me of Ales Hemsky on roids. Think he'll be a 50 point guy ultimately though.

Reactions: LAKings88

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

You, and guys like Ziggy, K17, BK Herby, etc etc are all core long time posters whose opinions I value as well. We've got a good group here and sorry if I left any else off but it's still early and brain is not fully capacity.

I appreciate the kind words and have since learned to temper my expectations of prospects.

I'm trying to take the approach that it's too early for the most part until they actually start playing in the NHL. As you said, there are great prospects who turned into heartbreaks.

I have a feeling many here (including myself) just try to look at the positive characteristics and try to levy fair criticisms so we don't sound too much like a cheerleader or too cynical.

Nothing wrong with that. We've all been burned.

Back to Kupari specifically: his highlights are fun to watch. Hopefully they will be equally fun on the Kings.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I don't think he'll be a big goal scorer in the NHL. His shot just keeps going through goalies there (how many of those pucks end up right in the middle of the net?) and that bigass windup will just get blocked consistently here. But he has an array of other tools that will make him a successful playmaker imo, especially his speed and shiftiness.

Reminds me of Ales Hemsky on roids. Think he'll be a 50 point guy ultimately though.
Not sure he’ll be able to dangle so much on a smaller surface too. He is slick tho.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
To clarify you mean an 17, 18, 19 year old player, right? I believe that Kopitar was better at that age.

Yes. I should not post at 1 AM (Denver time) and had just watched about 30 minutes of Kupari highlights I found on youtube. Also, after seeing the Kings all season and not seeing any player on the Kings skating through defenses like that and moslty boring hockey, got me excited. It's like some of the focus has been the Kings must lose and get Hughes or Kakko, or it's going to be a very long rebuild, otherwise. Then see the Kings may already have a player possibly at / near that calibre.

Comment could be construed as a Black Hawk fan watching 30 minutes of Patrick Kane highlights in 2007, after they drafted him...and then understandably getting several responses "what, so he's better than Makita, Bobby Hull...Roenick and Amonte in their prime?"....no, but there's still no one like Patrick Kane. That said, Kupari may end up struggling to score 40 points in the NHL, or being Adrian Kempe. (which is not the worst thing in the world. Still believe if Kempe had 2 talented linemates, would see more production) Still, Kupari has had great success in Liiga and putting up points close to Laine and Aho. Just turned 19 and he will get stronger.

Some of those players Kupari's skating around are not the best players in the world. He won't be able to do that in the NHL with ease. He certainly has elite speed and seemingly more skill than any King forward drafted since Kopitar.

And just because I have a long history of seeing many games and cool experiences does not make me a seer! I admire and respect many more than I here, when itcomes to analysis and wisdom in this great game we all love. I admire all that have tempered and realistic expectations. And you're right, Patty O sure could skateand had talent. 47 AHL goals and seemingly on his way to a great NHL career. (has anyone scored 47+ in the AHL since?)

I truly think this coming season will be more fun to watch, even if the Kings are 15 points out of the playoffs and we get to see players like Kupari, JAD, possibly Clague and / or
Brickley, begin their NHL careers....and Hughes or Kakko!

Note to self: no more posting 1 am and leave Carter and Toffoli be. I don't want to bash any King that helped bring Cups to LA.

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I’m pumped for Kupari too. I’m worried that he’ll get stuck in Ontario and taught to play on the boards. This organization wastes offensive talent like no other. Imagine taking coaching advice from Craig Johnson.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I’m pumped for Kupari too. I’m worried that he’ll get stuck in Ontario and taught to play on the boards. This organization wastes offensive talent like no other. Imagine taking coaching advice from Craig Johnson.

Imagine getting coaching advice from Wayne Gretzky.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Yes. I should not post at 1 AM (Denver time) and had just watched about 30 minutes of Kupari highlights I found on youtube. Also, after seeing the Kings all season and not seeing any player on the Kings skating through defenses like that and moslty boring hockey, got me excited. It's like some of the focus has been the Kings must lose and get Hughes or Kakko, or it's going to be a very long rebuild, otherwise. Then see the Kings may already have a player possibly at / near that calibre.

Comment could be construed as a Black Hawk fan watching 30 minutes of Patrick Kane highlights in 2007, after they drafted him...and then understandably getting several responses "what, so he's better than Makita, Bobby Hull...Roenick and Amonte in their prime?"....no, but there's still no one like Patrick Kane. That said, Kupari may end up struggling to score 40 points in the NHL, or being Adrian Kempe. (which is not the worst thing in the world. Still believe if Kempe had 2 talented linemates, would see more production) Still, Kupari has had great success in Liiga and putting up points close to Laine and Aho. Just turned 19 and he will get stronger.

Some of those players Kupari's skating around are not the best players in the world. He won't be able to do that in the NHL with ease. He certainly has elite speed and seemingly more skill than any King forward drafted since Kopitar.

And just because I have a long history of seeing many games and cool experiences does not make me a seer! I admire and respect many more than I here, when itcomes to analysis and wisdom in this great game we all love. I admire all that have tempered and realistic expectations. And you're right, Patty O sure could skateand had talent. 47 AHL goals and seemingly on his way to a great NHL career. (has anyone scored 47+ in the AHL since?)

I truly think this coming season will be more fun to watch, even if the Kings are 15 points out of the playoffs and we get to see players like Kupari, JAD, possibly Clague and / or
Brickley, begin their NHL careers....and Hughes or Kakko!

Note to self: no more posting 1 am and leave Carter and Toffoli be. I don't want to bash any King that helped bring Cups to LA.

There is nothing wrong with what you are saying or being hyped about future prospects.

Since years people tend to cling to useless attributes. As soon as someone is criticized they come with "they are locker room people" or "they brought the cup to L.A."
Problem with that is that i have never seen someone "locker room" a puck into the net or "brought the cup to L.A" a puck into the net.
You need skill and determination on a constant basis. If you are not able to bring your A-Game every night it doesn't matter what you are doing in a locker room.
If you have a 8 year contract, you are paid to win the Cup for 8 Years.

With that said, i couldn't give a dang about the Dionnes, Gretzkys, Kurris, Carters or Toffolys anymore. I am looking into the future and Kupari seems to be one of these rare centerpieces
we are lucky to have.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Here's my approach to prospects I'm slowing my roll on all youngsters until I see it on a consistent basis in the NHL. Now can I still be excited and optimistic.... yes and yes. But until Kupari can come over and show us he is the real deal then I'll keep it as a optimistically hoping he pans out level.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

You, and guys like Ziggy, K17, BK Herby, KP KoR etc etc are all core long time posters whose opinions I value as well. We've got a good group here and sorry if I left any else off but it's still early and brain is not at full capacity.

I’m in the same boat as you, @Legionnaire. And I think that as long as the Kings play whatever system it is that they’re playing right now, they won’t have success. And if they play the Sutter-style defense-first hockey, guys like Kupari won’t have success. The problem is, setting up an offensive system like Toronto or Tampa leaves a lot of guys on the current roster ineffective. We need to clear out a lot of the veterans if we want to achieve a faster-paced system. You can teach an old dog new tricks, but you probably can’t teach 12 old dogs a bunch of new tricks.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I’m in the same boat as you, @Legionnaire. And I think that as long as the Kings play whatever system it is that they’re playing right now, they won’t have success. And if they play the Sutter-style defense-first hockey, guys like Kupari won’t have success. The problem is, setting up an offensive system like Toronto or Tampa leaves a lot of guys on the current roster ineffective. We need to clear out a lot of the veterans if we want to achieve a faster-paced system. You can teach an old dog new tricks, but you probably can’t teach 12 old dogs a bunch of new tricks.

It's a confusing time in a lot of ways as a hockey fan and Kings fan. We see the league has changed to a speedier game but do we try to follow or do we try to create an identity of our own?

We tried following the trends for much of the late 90s (Matt Zultek) and that didn't pay off. What was eventually successful was creating an identity of our own. This has also worked for teams like the Canadiens, Devils and even the Stars to a degree.

Yet, with the rule changes and the league moving away from physical play, I have to wonder if that is still a viable solution?

I believe it still can be, but until we're able to really evaluate what we have in our system and how to build around their strengths, it seems like this teams future is really in limbo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad