At 20th Overall the Kings Select Rasmus Kupari

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
Couple of negative posts by me about Kupari but definitely didn't mean he doesn't have potential to be a top6 fwd in the NHL one day. I just simply think he needs a year or two before he is ready to go. I'd say he should be back in Finland next season and play in a leading role. Kärpät has imo one of the best Finnish coaches which for sure would help his development, also some very good veterans to mentor him how to be a professional on and off the ice.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
If next year Kupari plays 75 games, scores 35 points and skates 15 minutes a game, I consider that a good performance whatever the standings. If the Kings insert a bunch of rookies next year, how much worse could it be than now? I think the only way to stunt their development is to force some prospect to be a defensive stalwart before they earn steady minutes. Definitely not in favor of pampered vets, coasting on past achievements.

I just don't believe he'll be skating in 75 games for the Kings next season and definitely not 15 minutes per game.

I'd prefer 15+ minutes in Ontario to start.

With these trash season seats, believe me that I am excited for every and all prospect and hope they are great players for years to come because some excitement at the games would be most welcome. With the track record of prospects this team has put up pre-Lombardi and then garbage-Lombardi, I'm not anointing anyone outside of upper-echelon, elite-type dudes.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Couple of negative posts by me about Kupari but definitely didn't mean he doesn't have potential to be a top6 fwd in the NHL one day. I just simply think he needs a year or two before he is ready to go. I'd say he should be back in Finland next season and play in a leading role. Kärpät has imo one of the best Finnish coaches which for sure would help his development, also some very good veterans to mentor him how to be a professional on and off the ice.

No one knows for sure, but I seriously doubt the Kings loan him out again. They will want him getting used to playing in North America on NHL regulation ice. I suspect he ends up in the AHL for his 19 year old season unless he blows the Kings away in camp.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Couple of negative posts by me about Kupari but definitely didn't mean he doesn't have potential to be a top6 fwd in the NHL one day.

Definitely he has potential to be a top6 forward, but he needs to change his attitude - no grit, no glory.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
He would definitely look good in a Kings uniform on a line w Kappo. Crossing fingers

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Guest here. What are his chances for roster spot in the NHL from the get go? - did he had a good camp?

Last season in the Sm-Liiga, international play, what ive seen him play, how much progress he has made since he was drafted,
if there isn't too much quality in your C position, i'd put him in your top 9 from the get go, but what's the reality?, LAKings fans opinion?.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Guest here. What are his chances for roster spot in the NHL from the get go? - did he had a good camp?

Last season in the Sm-Liiga, international play, what ive seen him play, how much progress he has made since he was drafted,
if there isn't too much quality in your C position, i'd put him in your top 9 from the get go, but what's the reality?, LAKings fans opinion?.

I think there's a chance he makes he team out of camp. The problem is that the kings have too many forwards right now fighting for about 2-3 spots so it'll be tough. I think the most likely scenario is that he starts the season in Ontario with a couple call ups during the season.

I'm not sure many of us have seen him play outside of the WJC last year, but looking at his stats, they were impressive for an 18/19 year old. Some around here weren't impressed with his performance in the playoffs, but I don't think that matters too much at this stage.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I think there's a chance he makes he team out of camp. The problem is that the kings have too many forwards right now fighting for about 2-3 spots so it'll be tough. I think the most likely scenario is that he starts the season in Ontario with a couple call ups during the season.

I'm not sure many of us have seen him play outside of the WJC last year, but looking at his stats, they were impressive for an 18/19 year old. Some around here weren't impressed with his performance in the playoffs, but I don't think that matters too much at this stage.

But do you have abundance of centers though??? Cause looking at your centers, there's absolutely room for Rasmus Kupari there,

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
But do you have abundance of centers though??? Cause looking at your centers, there's absolutely room for Rasmus Kupari there,
Kopitar, Carter, Prokhorkin, Kempe, Amadio and even Lewis could play C and all of them are probably better than Kupari right now. I also think he is going to be in Ontario for most of the season with a few possible call-ups.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Alot of maybe with this idea. If the kings decide to move kempe and Carter to wings then yes we could have room for Kupari. However he would also have to outplay Dolan Anderson and if Vilardi return him as well. However I think your underestimating Porhorkins who will most likely have a shot to land a center spot out of camp. The Kings have been waiting for him to come to North america for a while now and if he doesn't make the kings hes gone to Europe to play. So hes got a chance but i woudn't say its a good chance.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Kopitar, Carter, Prokhorkin, Kempe, Amadio and even Lewis could play C and all of them are probably better than Kupari right now. I also think he is going to be in Ontario for most of the season with a few possible call-ups.

A Kempe (still not re-signed btw.) can play wing as well, right? Lewis and Amadio both better what Kupari???? so not true.
Honestly, i'd put Carter (not sure last time he has played wing) back to wing, i'd to the same with AKempe

1st Kopitar, 2nd Prokhorkin, 3rd Kupari?

Iafallo LW Kopitar C Toffoli RW
Kovaltshuk LW Prokhorkin C Brown RW
AKempe LW Kupari C Carter RW

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Alot of maybe with this idea. If the kings decide to move kempe and Carter to wings then yes we could have room for Kupari. However he would also have to outplay Dolan Anderson and if Vilardi return him as well. However I think your underestimating Porhorkins who will most likely have a shot to land a center spot out of camp. The Kings have been waiting for him to come to North america for a while now and if he doesn't make the kings hes gone to Europe to play. So hes got a chance but i woudn't say its a good chance.

Isn't Gabriel Vilardi like pretty much done for, for this season?, That's what ive been reading.
Dolan-Anderson only have total of 10 pro games under his belt, This is Kupari's 3rd pro season
already, over 100 pro games.

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
A Kempe (still not re-signed btw.) can play wing as well, right? Lewis and Amadio both better what Kupari???? so not true.
Honestly, i'd put Carter (not sure last time he has played wing) back to wing, i'd to the same with AKempe

1st Kopitar, 2nd Prokhorkin, 3rd Kupari

Iafallo LW Kopitar C Toffoli RW
Kovaltshuk LW Prokhorkin C Brown RW
AKempe LW Kupari C Carter RW
I think you are rating Kupari a bit too high, he for sure has potential but imo isn't good enough for the NHL yet. There is no need to rush him. It is better to let him get used to NA hockey in AHL for a year and let guys like Wagner, Amadio, Clifford, Lewis take those bottom 6 minutes. If injuries or trades happen then sure, give him a few games up but I'd claim that guys like JAD, Grundström and Luff for example are going to be called up before Kupari.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Isn't Gabriel Vilardi like pretty much done for, for this season?, That's what ive been reading.
Dolan-Anderson only have total of 10 pro games under his belt, This is Kupari's 3rd pro season
already, over 100 pro games.

the thing with Vilardi is no one knows what is happening that why i said it the way i said it. If hes healthy enough to play i see him playing ahead of him. Dolan Anderson played in the ahl which the kings (and me ) prefer to see there prospect play. Also I think there set with Kempe playing center for now. I could see Kupari playing later in the season perhaps as early as American Thanks Giving (after things shake out on Carter Prohorkin Kemp )

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Carter may move to wing. Prokhorkin hasn't proven to be anywhere yet. Kempe--org likes him at C, we all like him a bit at wing. Amadio SHOULD lock down a C spot but we've been misusing the crap out of him, and Lewis sucks at C.

I agree with your conclusion but the premise that we're loaded at C is bunk. But I'm also not sure the org wants Kupari at C anyway so it's all up in the air a bit. Point is, those positions aren't locked, Kupari could force his way onto the team, but there are guys much better positioned--and seasoned--to make it.

Reactions: dman3474

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
Carter may move to wing. Prokhorkin hasn't proven to be anywhere yet. Kempe--org likes him at C, we all like him a bit at wing. Amadio SHOULD lock down a C spot but we've been misusing the crap out of him, and Lewis sucks at C.

I agree with your conclusion but the premise that we're loaded at C is bunk. But I'm also not sure the org wants Kupari at C anyway so it's all up in the air a bit. Point is, those positions aren't locked, Kupari could force his way onto the team, but there are guys much better positioned--and seasoned--to make it.
Never wrote that we are loaded at C. Just said that there is at least 5 better players who have played that position recently and that certainly doesn't make us loaded.

I also see Kupari eventually playing as a winger at the NHL level. To me he seems to be much better suited there.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Never wrote that we are loaded at C. Just said that there is at least 5 better players who have played that position recently and that certainly doesn't make us loaded.

I also see Kupari eventually playing as a winger at the NHL level. To me he seems to be much better suited there.

Dude is really good 2-way center, has some size too, 6 foot 1. Is good at face-offs, is skilled, has legs.
Bigger, but slightly less talented version of Sebastian Aho. (thats whom they keep referring him as to; Aho)

Def. center in the NHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I agree. I guess my point is that if Kupari forces his way onto the team, Trevor Lewis playing C won't be the thing that holds him off.

But I think the logistics of the scenario--between time in NA and waiver eligibility of others and so on--dictate that unless he flat out forces someone off the roster, he's likely Ontario bound, and that frankly seems like the best move anyway for now.

Nickster

Hockey is coming
Sponsor
Nov 5, 2017
Inland Empire

Odd... Early in the video one of his line-mates played with a shiny gold helmet. Most of the video Kupari played with blue helmet but switched to the team black helmet for a few highlights, and then went back to the blue. I'm wondering if it signified anything like age group, or leadership role, or is the helmet allowed to be customized be each player, like the goalies.

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
Odd... Early in the video one of his line-mates played with a shiny gold helmet. Most of the video Kupari played with blue helmet but switched to the team black helmet for a few highlights, and then went back to the blue. I'm wondering if it signified anything like age group, or leadership role, or is the helmet allowed to be customized be each player, like the goalies.
In Finland each teams current top point scorer wears a golden helmet. Blue one is for top U20 point guy. Kupari wore blue one for a while but Aleksi Heponiemi (Florida 2nd rd pick 2017) took over in points eventually.

EDIT: Heponiemi also wore golden one some times and Kupari was the second best U20 scorer at times so he got the blue one.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad