At 20th Overall the Kings Select Rasmus Kupari

Nickster

Hockey is coming
Sponsor
Nov 5, 2017
Inland Empire
In Finland each teams current top point scorer wears a golden helmet. Blue one is for top U20 point guy. Kupari wore blue one for a while but Aleksi Heponiemi (Florida 2nd rd pick 2017) took over in points eventually.

EDIT: Heponiemi also wore golden one some times and Kupari was the second best U20 scorer at times so he got the blue one.
Got it.. The best players get a neon sign saying hit me.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Couple of negative posts by me about Kupari but definitely didn't mean he doesn't have potential to be a top6 fwd in the NHL one day. I just simply think he needs a year or two before he is ready to go. I'd say he should be back in Finland next season and play in a leading role. Kärpät has imo one of the best Finnish coaches which for sure would help his development, also some very good veterans to mentor him how to be a professional on and off the ice.
Looks like the Kings should have sent Kupari back to Finland to play heavy minutes...He's not going to develop in Ontario with so many youngsters and vets seemingly ahead of him. Kings should send him and Johan Sodergran back to Europe to continue their development and not be stagnated in the AHL

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Looks like the Kings should have sent Kupari back to Finland to play heavy minutes...He's not going to develop in Ontario with so many youngsters and vets seemingly ahead of him. Kings should send him and Johan Sodergran back to Europe to continue their development and not be stagnated in the AHL

What? He's getting plenty of time and opportunity and I'd much rather have them--like Bjornfot--playing many more games and learning the NA game on the small rink. Not much more any of those guys have to prove back home.

That post you're quoting was written 7 months ago.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
What? He's getting plenty of time and opportunity and I'd much rather have them--like Bjornfot--playing many more games and learning the NA game on the small rink. Not much more any of those guys have to prove back home.

Isn't the guy he is quoting also really down on Kupari? There was a small segment of Finnish fans who constantly shit on Kupari and if I remember correctly he was one of them.

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
Isn't the guy he is quoting also really down on Kupari? There was a small segment of Finnish fans who constantly **** on Kupari and if I remember correctly he was one of them.
Well you clearly didn't read or understand my post that he quoted. Like I said, Kupari has big potential and all I was trying to do was to tell you NA Kings fans, who probably didn't watch Kupari for +50 games last season, that he isn't ready to play in the NHL. Tried to be as realistic as possible since there was a lot of talk here that Kupari would play and produce instantly with the Kings.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Well you clearly didn't read or understand my post that he quoted. Like I said, Kupari has big potential and all I was trying to do was to tell you NA Kings fans, who probably didn't watch Kupari for +50 games last season, that he isn't ready to play in the NHL. Tried to be as realistic as possible since there was a lot of talk here that Kupari would play and produce instantly with the Kings.

Thank you for the feedback! Hope you continue to contribute on our board!

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

I know it was quoted 7 months ago...but I believe if (Kupari...Sodergran) not playing top 6 minutes then send him back we aren't doing him any good. But if you say he's getting plenty of time well I guess I have to believe that...when looking at the Ontario roster and stats his numbers don't pop out and there are too many vets that are either has-beens or never-will-bes (Bouma,Sutter-Stanton,Imama,Reddenkoop)there and they are taking away from our developing youngsters

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know it was quoted 7 months ago...but I believe if (Kupari...Sodergran) not playing top 6 minutes then send him back we aren't doing him any good. But if you say he's getting plenty of time well I guess I have to believe that...when looking at the Ontario roster and stats his numbers don't pop out and there are too many vets that are either has-beens or never-will-bes (Bouma,Sutter-Stanton,Imama,Reddenkoop)there and they are taking away from our developing youngsters

Sutter is C and usually middle six. Bouma has been up and down but mostly 3rd line. Imama 4th. The others are D-men. None are preventing Kupari's opportunities and all of the reduction in playing time isn't a 'punishment' but rather a chance to watch and learn as well. He's clearly skilled and has been getting top six minutes all season. Sending him back to play on the big ice in less games now doesn't help him imo. And I guarantee when there's a JAD callup Kupari is the 1C in full for a bit. The only guys "in front of him" are arguably better prospects or already in the NHL (JAD, Grundstrom).

Sodergran is a raw ball of clay and I have zero problem with his slow-cooking playing time.

Again, these guys only played half an AHL/NHL season worth of games on the big ice in Europe, part of their acclimation is the rink and the marathon schedule. I'd be more worried if they weren't better next year.

Reactions: Vino and andys

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

I apologize for confusing you, there was a group of Finnish fans in the prospects thread who trashed whim fairly regularly. I do agree with you that he is a year or two away from making the NHL. What's interesting is Heponiemi seems to be struggling so far this season and I thought he was much closer to the NHL than Kupari.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Sutter is C and usually middle six. Bouma has been up and down but mostly 3rd line. Imama 4th. The others are D-men. None are preventing Kupari's opportunities and all of the reduction in playing time isn't a 'punishment' but rather a chance to watch and learn as well. He's clearly skilled and has been getting top six minutes all season. Sending him back to play on the big ice in less games now doesn't help him imo. And I guarantee when there's a JAD callup Kupari is the 1C in full for a bit. The only guys "in front of him" are arguably better prospects or already in the NHL (JAD, Grundstrom).

Sodergran is a raw ball of clay and I have zero problem with his slow-cooking playing time.

Again, these guys only played half an AHL/NHL season worth of games on the big ice in Europe, part of their acclimation is the rink and the marathon schedule. I'd be more worried if they weren't better next year.
Liked the comment but they play more than half the games Raccoon Jesus...they also get more time for training which is probably more beneficial at their young age. Thanks for keeping me afloat on the situation and I hope the Kings don't recall JAD anytime soon. Let him develop I always say and play him to death in Ontario rather and 8-10 minutes a night in the NHL

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
I also think sending him back home isn't smart right now. Kärpät has once again one of the best teams in Finland this season and I would argue that Kupari isn't even a top 6 center in their lineup. Better have him play better or at least similar minutes in Ontario to allow him get used to the NA hockey.

Reactions: BringTheReign

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kupari has plenty of time to figure things out. He doesn’t turn 20 until March. If he can be NHL ready in two or three years, we will be in great shape. The AHL is still a developmental league, after all.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I also think sending him back home isn't smart right now. Kärpät has once again one of the best teams in Finland this season and I would argue that Kupari isn't even a top 6 center in their lineup. Better have him play better or at least similar minutes in Ontario to allow him get used to the NA hockey.
For somebody who was pointwise their second best player last season, I doubt there are suddenly 6 better forwards unless Kupari blows it himself.

They finished first in la liiga last season.

Last edited:

member 88115

Pretty lame to not see Kupari playing with JAD and Luff.
Ontario is trying to keep Kupari in the center position, but I do hope they move him to the wing. He reminds of Kempe playing that position, just does not look natural like Amadio, Lizzote or JAD.

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
For somebody who was pointwise their second best player last season, I doubt there are suddenly 6 better forwards unless Kupari blows it himself.

They finished first in la liiga last season.
He was actually fifth best in points and yes, I do believe they have at least two better centers currently than Kupari is. He probably would be a top 6 player if he played on the wing but can't really see that happening. But yeah pretty pointless discussion anyways since he is not coming back any time soon.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
He was actually fifth best in points and yes, I do believe they have at least two better centers currently than Kupari is. He probably would be a top 6 player if he played on the wing but can't really see that happening. But yeah pretty pointless discussion anyways since he is not coming back any time soon.
PPG, he missed a truckload of games.

Is Michael Kristof as center a better option than Kupari ? Might be a character issue or great in the lockerroom thing but eventually people need to score as well. 5 points, 1 goal in 17 games...c’mon.

Puljujarvi is obviously having a heck of a season again but was above average in the AHL. Same with Heponiemi.

IMO these players need to adjust to NA or arent just good enough. My point is I doubt there are better players @ Karpat.

Last edited:

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Ontario is trying to keep Kupari in the center position, but I do hope they move him to the wing. He reminds of Kempe playing that position, just does not look natural like Amadio, Lizzote or JAD.

Who they move to the center then? They don't have much natural centers in Ontario - Sutter and JAD and maybye Rymsha (4th liner). If Kings send Prokhorkin or Lizotte down, maybye then. Lizotte/Prokhorkin, Sutter, JAD, Rymsha.

I hope Stothers keeps Kupari and Sodergran together, because they have some chemistry. Sodergran is a smart passer and pretty good along the boards and defensively better than Kupari. Sodergran is totally wasted when he plays 4th line with Imama and Bouma.

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
PPG, he missed a truckload of games.

Is Michael Kristof as center a better option than Kupari ? Might be a character issue or great in the lockerroom thing but eventually people need to score as well. 5 points, 1 goal in 17 games...c’mon.

Puljujarvi is obviously having a heck of a season again but was above average in the AHL. Same with Heponiemi.

IMO these players need to adjust to NA or arent just good enough. My point is I doubt there are better players @ Karpat.
You are really underrating one of the best teams in Europe outside of the KHL. There is at least 3-4 clear cut better forwards here than Kupari is. Also as a reminder, he was scratched in April during playoffs, because he just couldn't produce in tough games. But potential wise he would surely be up there with maybe Puljujärvi.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
You are really underrating one of the best teams in Europe outside of the KHL. There is at least 3-4 clear cut better forwards here than Kupari is. Also as a reminder, he was scratched in April during playoffs, because he just couldn't produce in tough games. But potential wise he would surely be up there with maybe Puljujärvi.

Yes he was pretty bad, I saw three playoff games.

Mikko Manner deserves a statue what he does with that team.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
My concern with Kupari is his compete level. I see the talent, but I don't see the hunger.

I understand it's kind of a vague criticism, but that's what I see. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Reactions: Vino

member 88115

Who they move to the center then? They don't have much natural centers in Ontario - Sutter and JAD and maybye Rymsha (4th liner). If Kings send Prokhorkin or Lizotte down, maybye then. Lizotte/Prokhorkin, Sutter, JAD, Rymsha.

I hope Stothers keeps Kupari and Sodergran together, because they have some chemistry. Sodergran is a smart passer and pretty good along the boards and defensively better than Kupari. Sodergran is totally wasted when he plays 4th line with Imama and Bouma.
ATM, its tough since Ontario does not really have anyone who fill that spot. Hopefully Vilardi fills in if his back holds up. Soon Turcotte, Akil and Dudas will be in Ontario and most likely one of those will also have to go to the wing.

Reactions: andys and Vino

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->