At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Next time meme a 1st line center pick so hard so we can finally steer this ship in the right direction.
Yeah, where's the Shane Wright meme?

It was apparently Osgood that convinced Detroit to take Cossa over Wallstedt.

If he sucks then we have something else to blame Ozzy for.:sarcasm:
Might as well listen to Ozzie, the goaltending scout hasn't done jack in a decade.

I think it was Ted Kulfan who asked Yzerman about comparing Cossa to Vasilevskiy and Yzerman told a story about how Al Murray said Vasi was either the best goalie he'd ever seen or the best goalie prospect, I can't remember the exact wording. But Al Murray knew Vasilevskiy was going to be a great goaltender. I wish we had someone with Murray's track record making the call on whether to draft Cossa or Wallstedt and if so which one. We'll have to wait and see but I like what I have heard about Cossa. I do expect this draft to tell us a lot about our NA scouting, hopefully it ends up being a draft that builds confidence, unlike Tyler Wright's drafting in NA.
Look at the Caps with all of their goalies (Holtby, Neuvirth, Varlamov, Grubaeur, Vanacek, Samsonov). The Red Wings just don't invest enough in scouting and developing goalies. Their chief goalie scout is an ECHLer from Ferris State. Probably the cheapest guy they could find, and local so they didn't have to pay for relocation. It's time for an upgrade.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You can't just decide to meme a top player and have it work. Have you never played a Gacha game or played the lottery or anything in your life? There are desire sensors. If you want it too hard, karma will f*** you over. You have to truly be okay with not receiving the result you want.

Like, I had basically resigned myself that they weren't taking Cossa or Wallstedt.

You don't defeat the desire sensors by reverse psychology either.

Reactions: NickH8

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You can't just decide to meme a top player and have it work. Have you never played a Gacha game or played the lottery or anything in your life? There are desire sensors. If you want it too hard, karma will f*** you over. You have to truly be okay with not receiving the result you want.

Like, I had basically resigned myself that they weren't taking Cossa or Wallstedt.

You don't defeat the desire sensors by reverse psychology either.

so basically we just need to get Tyler Wright to post here

Shane Wright would just be a waste of money between Larkin and future 1C Rasmussen

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

This is the first statement I've seen in writing that gives an incredible endorsement to Cossa that isn't limited to, "he's awesome because he's big and athletic".

I hope the kid proves me wrong and eventually justifies praise like this.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

This is the first statement I've seen in writing that gives an incredible endorsement to Cossa that isn't limited to, "he's awesome because he's big and athletic".

I hope the kid proves me wrong and eventually justifies praise like this.

The entire Black Book write up basically said "everything Wallstedt does better than Cossa, Cossa is still well ahead of other goalie prospects. The things that Cossa is better than Wallstedt at, Wallstedt will likely never be able to catch up at." So that's how they arrive at ranking him as their top guy, and is the backing for the opinion late out in that tweet

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The entire Black Book write up basically said "everything Wallstedt does better than Cossa, Cossa is still well ahead of other goalie prospects. The things that Cossa is better than Wallstedt at, Wallstedt will likely never be able to catch up at." So that's how they arrive at ranking him as their top guy, and is the backing for the opinion late out in that tweet
That's fair. I just happen to value the technical/positioning aspects a lot more than the athletic aspects. But if Cossa eventually has excellent athleticism and above average positioning at the NHL level, then you've got a really really good starting goaltender.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That's fair. I just happen to value the technical/positioning aspects a lot more than the athletic aspects. But if Cossa eventually has excellent athleticism and above average positioning at the NHL level, then you've got a really really good starting goaltender.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Cossa's technical game compared to the other top goalie prospects. He's right there with them. Anyone saying it's just his size hasn't sifted through the tape. He's extremely mobile, squares up well, and loves to challenge the shooter more than most big boys.

But him being in the WHL on a great team leaves a bit more unknown how he'll respond to better competition. That's honestly the biggest knock. Everything I've seen looks fantastic but it's limited reps with limited competition.

The difference is we got to watch Askarov in the KHL and Wallstedt in the SHL. So there's a bit more confidence how they'll handle a more mature league. But that's not a knock on Cossa, it just means we'll need to be more patient to see how he responds long-term.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Cossa's technical game compared to the other top goalie prospects. He's right there with them. Anyone saying it's just his size hasn't sifted through the tape. He's extremely mobile, squares up well, and loves to challenge the shooter more than most big boys.

But him being in the WHL on a great team leaves a bit more unknown how he'll respond to better competition. That's honestly the biggest knock. Everything I've seen looks fantastic but it's limited reps with limited competition.

The difference is we got to watch Askarov in the KHL and Wallstedt in the SHL. So there's a bit more confidence how they'll handle a more mature league. But that's not a knock on Cossa, it just means we'll need to be more patient to see how he responds long-term.

First, I am going to need you to change that avatar...at least until you guys become best friends over there in Minnesota.

Second, I am going to share a little blurb from the Black Book that I think gives a really glimmering review of Cossa that backs up your first little paragraph there.

"The best way to frame this, is that when grading Wallstedt’s combination of tracking and athleticism, we give him an elite tracking rating, an average skating rating, and an average athletic rating. We give Cossa an excellent tracking rating, a good skating rating and an elite athletic grade. Now, there’s way more to the position than just those three components obviously, but we hope that at least it brings a bit of clarity as to the why, when seeing our ranking.

Cossa is utterly unique and extremely hard to find. He has some Rinne like elements in his game from an athletic and effort or battle level point of view, but he’s far more technically advanced at the same age, and has his own identity. We’ve been spoiled in recent years with high caliber goalie prospects like Spencer Knight and Yaraslav Askarov. Both of these goalies we’re discussing here belong in the same tier range as them. We could make arguments for each one in terms of determining the order, but we believe that Askarov and Cossa are in a slightly higher value than Wallstedt and Knight, but it’s really close. There’s not a lot of separation for us. We believe Cossa has the higher ceiling and we believe there is a franchise altering goalie in this draft, it’s not Wallstedt though, it’s Cossa for us. As our final thought, most goalies with Cossa’s size need extensive time in order to develop, which would make some people shy away from ranking him too aggressively. But, we really think Cossa falls into a similar time line as goalies like Knight and Hart, which mean’s he’s not as far away as some people might think from making it to the NHL.
"

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
First, I am going to need you to change that avatar...at least until you guys become best friends over there in Minnesota.

Second, I am going to share a little blurb from the Black Book that I think gives a really glimmering review of Cossa that backs up your first little paragraph there.

"The best way to frame this, is that when grading Wallstedt’s combination of tracking and athleticism, we give him an elite tracking rating, an average skating rating, and an average athletic rating. We give Cossa an excellent tracking rating, a good skating rating and an elite athletic grade. Now, there’s way more to the position than just those three components obviously, but we hope that at least it brings a bit of clarity as to the why, when seeing our ranking.

Cossa is utterly unique and extremely hard to find. He has some Rinne like elements in his game from an athletic and effort or battle level point of view, but he’s far more technically advanced at the same age, and has his own identity. We’ve been spoiled in recent years with high caliber goalie prospects like Spencer Knight and Yaraslav Askarov. Both of these goalies we’re discussing here belong in the same tier range as them. We could make arguments for each one in terms of determining the order, but we believe that Askarov and Cossa are in a slightly higher value than Wallstedt and Knight, but it’s really close. There’s not a lot of separation for us. We believe Cossa has the higher ceiling and we believe there is a franchise altering goalie in this draft, it’s not Wallstedt though, it’s Cossa for us. As our final thought, most goalies with Cossa’s size need extensive time in order to develop, which would make some people shy away from ranking him too aggressively. But, we really think Cossa falls into a similar time line as goalies like Knight and Hart, which mean’s he’s not as far away as some people might think from making it to the NHL.
"

I am the farthest thing from an expert, so it's always nice when my own armchair assessments line up with those far more knowledgeable than myself.

Watching Cossa, I was never scared off by his talent or ability he displayed. And it's nice to see a reputable source back that up.

As for the avatar, you're right, I've been out of town and mostly on my phone. I need to fix this ASAP. Something with our new boy Ned sounds fun.

Reactions: jkutswings

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
How am I missing a point with an invalid premise?

Because your looking to into the premise and not getting the general point that I was trying to make which is MOST of the time goalies are taken high they don’t return that value as to players either a.)taken behind them b. Goalies taken later in the draft. It’s just fact man

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
'He really has no mercy': Confident Cossa chirps early and often

At the end of Sunday's Red-White Game, Canada's World Junior hopefuls took part in a shootout. Oil Kings sniper Dylan Guenther struck iron on his attempt to beat Edmonton teammate Sebastian Cossa. That led to some chirping from the 6-foot-7 goalie. "It’s good that he is confident, but it definitely gets on some nerves when he's chirping in practice," noted Guenther. "He chirps the other team, the other goalie and really has no mercy."

@Lil Sebastian Cossa you have a lot in common with this guy

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
AS more information surfaces about the players Yzerman drafted, the more amazed I am at how brilliant of a job Yzerman did.

I know it's too early to call victory, but this draft is really feeling good and gives hope for our long-term future success.

Reactions: golffuul

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

...Yeah, but he still looks like Jean Ralphio.

giphy.gif

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I thought someone said he got lit up?
He only got lit up in the only game he played the whole time. But so did his opponent. I whined a little because I was in my cups while watching the highlights. He did ok in other games where he played for a period. Other first hand reports have come out saying that he did just fine, despite the 8 goal performance and they still expect him to be the starter come Dec.

Reactions: jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad