OT: Assorted Other Sports Thread

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Yeesh. Rams improve significantly at corner, but I'm kind of baffled at what the longterm plan is here. If we pay Ramsey, we're virtually guaranteeing a team of Donald, Gurley, Goff, Cooks, Ramsey, Hekker, Higbee and scrubs. And if we don't re-sign him, then that's a hefty haul for a rental.

RE: Nats... I stopped watching after the 7th run in the first inning. Tuned back in in the 8th and I SO wish the Cards could've finished the comeback. That bases-loaded at-bat should be one of many things replaying in StL fans' heads all summer. Opportunity was there to take advantage of a team without that killer instinct experience at this level, but they squandered it.

I question some things with the Rams too but I trust Snead and McVay. They will make it work. Ramsey will be signed. They will make some cuts elsewhere. I see Brandin Cooks being traded in the off season. He was a luxury we could afford. Now we can't. Biggest problem though is still the offensive line. Goff has no time to throw. He's one of the best in the league when he has time. But he struggles mightily with any pressure. I can see them moving on from Gurley too. Not next year because of the dead cap hit against us but I highly doubt he plays out the contract with the Rams. Anyways. No problem with the price for Ramsey though. 2 late first round picks for the best corner in the game? You hope you can draft a guy in the first round as good as him. Rarely does that happen though.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Yes. Maybe Michael Jordan is the only other in the same conversation. One would have thought Michael Schumacher but now Lewis Hamilton is catching him.

My son does not appreciate how great the Great One was. He laughs at how bad the goalies are. We watched videos and he just doesn’t get it! We watched that Grant Fuhr Special (Making Coco), and I tried to make him understand how different goalies were back then. He says he could have scored in the 80s. Ugh.
Not sure F1 is considered pro sports team league
But you're right gotta be MJ23

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Hey everyone, this seems to be the best place to ask the following:

Is Wayne Gretzky the most dominant player to ever play in a professional team sport's league? He has a 936 point lead over number 2 (Jagr who also played an extra 236 games) in all-time points.

I don't really follow other sports other than the World Cup of football/soccer and the Euro (sometimes Champion's League).

Just looking for some food for thought really.
Didn't Pele win player of the century extremely easily, and is unanimously the #1 guy of all time?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Hey everyone, this seems to be the best place to ask the following:

Is Wayne Gretzky the most dominant player to ever play in a professional team sport's league? He has a 936 point lead over number 2 (Jagr who also played an extra 236 games) in all-time points.

I don't really follow other sports other than the World Cup of football/soccer and the Euro (sometimes Champion's League).

Just looking for some food for thought really.

Maybe Don Bradman. His batting average in test matches is 99.94 (average number of runs he would score a game, fun fact iirc his last game needed only 2 to finish above 100 but he hit 0), number 2 is at 64.56.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe Don Bradman. His batting average in test matches is 99.94 (average number of runs he would score a game, fun fact iirc his last game needed only 2 to finish above 100 but he hit 0), number 2 is at 64.56.

I had to google him to realize you were talking about some old cricket player and not some old baseball player that I had never heard of... I was really confused by what a test match or 99.94 batting average was. As you can probably tell, I do not follow cricket.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Didn't Pele win player of the century extremely easily, and is unanimously the #1 guy of all time?

I'm asking people here what they think. I don't much stock in any of these contests/lists/halls of fame because those are all politics. Toews is a top 100 of all time but not Malkin? :biglaugh:

Pele is one I'm familiar with but do his individual numbers essentially put every one else to shame like Gertzky's do?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Top 5 Things Pele Does Not Want You to Know

received_2302223719906591.jpeg

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm asking people here what they think. I don't much stock in any of these contests/lists/halls of fame because those are all politics. Toews is a top 100 of all time but not Malkin? :biglaugh:

Pele is one I'm familiar with but do his individual numbers essentially put every one else to shame like Gertzky's do?

Tough to get an exact number because of all the different levels/competitions there are in soccer, but it doesn't seem like it.

FIFA World Cup top goalscorers - Wikipedia

This link indicates he's 5th in World Cup goals (all-time)

List of men's footballers with 500 or more goals - Wikipedia

This link has him 3rd all-time in goals (at the "highest level" whatever that means)

Highest goal scorers in world football history

This link paints a better picture as he's 2nd all-time (by a ton), but even that one doesn't have him at the top.

If he's seen as the best soccer player of all-time, it sure as heck isn't as undisputed as Gretzky.

EDIT: Did some digging on "best player of all-time" lists and while Pele is typically #1, there are a handful of examples of him being at #2 or #3 as well. Grain of salt for those lists though, since biases certainly come into play.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Oh I have no clue, I don't follow or watch 1 iota of soccer, just going off memory from when I played before I gave it up as a young teenager

It was a legit reply, Pele is regarded as one of the most dominant soccer players of all time. Since football is, by very, very far the most popular sport on Earth, it is perfectly reasonable to think that their most dominant be considered.

Besides, Orr skated circles around essentially good ol' Canadian farmers and that doesn't stop anyone from calling him the best of the best. I have Lidstrom as the best D of all time but I admit to being a hipster on that front :D

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Have fun with Moore Chiefs fans, Mahomes will be out for a while.

Hill becomes pretty useless, their season is likely done

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Have fun with Moore Chiefs fans, Mahomes will be out for a while.

Hill becomes pretty useless, their season is likely done

There's a possibility he could be back by December, and the Chiefs have a bye in that time frame so it might not be as bad as anticipated. If the Chiefs can go 2-2 in their next 4 and get Mahomes back for the stretch run they'll still (comfortably) make the playoffs, imo.

Also, Hill might be one of the only players to not have his value cratered by this kind of move. The guy is so electric he could have 2-3 catches for 100+ yards. Heck, he scored a ~60 yard TD after Mahomes went out. It'll hurt him, but not as much as the rest of that receiving core.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Mahomes outlook is so far pretty positive. They're estimating 3 weeks. Got 10 days between games before the Sunday night game against Green Bay. Then the Vikings at home, on the road in Nashville the next week, on the road in LA after that then the bye. Too bad the bye isn't one week earlier to give him the 4 weeks but I'd guess he'll definitely be back December 1st against Oakland. They can probably give him 5 weeks to recover and practice. Should get a game in before the matchup in Foxborough.

Matt Moore sucks but hopefully he'll be getting some O line reinforcements along the way here. Chiefs are about to turn into a run first play action pass team. Would be nice to see the D step up like last night. Frank Clark was a monster. Ogbah is really turning into something and Claiborne is really helping the secondary. Hitchens!!! Even played good. I haven't seen a middle line backer actually play well for the Chiefs since Derrick Johnson. Forgot what that felt like.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Brooke Henderson leads the Buick LPGA Shanghai (China) by 2 shots after a 8 under 64, which included a hole in one, a bogey the next hole and 7 birdies in the remaining 16 holes.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Kupp is just terrorizing they league this year.

On a record pace today, 220 yards 5 minutes into the 3rd.

Evans not far behind with 190 yards 5 minutes into the 3rd.

Even more impressive considering his knee injury last year. Just like Adrian Peterson, coming back better than ever the next year.

He hasn't been lighting the world on fire like Kupp, but for Emmanuel Sanders to come back from a torn achilles in less than a year at 30+ and to be as effective as he has is incredibly impressive as well.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Went and watched the 67’s stomp the Sarnia Sting today . I enjoyed it .

far easier on the wallet then NHL Sens hockey, daughter did the Halloween costume parade with the other kids , and TD place is just plain better experience parking, concessions , activities and ambiance .

I know its far fewer people and OHL hockey .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad