OT: Assorted Other Sports Thread

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It has certainly been fun watching Lamar Jackson this year.

If he can keep it up next year and beyond, it's going to be interesting how this will effect how athleticism is valued for the QB position.

I think Jackson's success is as much his insane ability to process the play at high speeds as much as it is his athleticism. I hope that his MVP season doesn't fool NFL front offices into thinking that athletic running QBs are the wave of the future, and cause a glut of high-pick draft busts because they overlooked all the other factors that is making Jackson as successful as he is, and draft combine all-star with no feel for the position at an NFL level.

I also worry about Jackson's longevity. His style of play doesn't translate well to a long career the way a pocket passer might have. I hope he gets paid big on his next contract, because that might be his only big payday opportunity in his career.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I think Jackson's success is as much his insane ability to process the play at high speeds as much as it is his athleticism. I hope that his MVP season doesn't fool NFL front offices into thinking that athletic running QBs are the wave of the future, and cause a glut of high-pick draft busts because they overlooked all the other factors that is making Jackson as successful as he is, and draft combine all-star with no feel for the position at an NFL level.

I also worry about Jackson's longevity. His style of play doesn't translate well to a long career the way a pocket passer might have. I hope he gets paid big on his next contract, because that might be his only big payday opportunity in his career.

It's super cliche to say, but he definitely has "it". And by that, I mean exactly what you said about processing things at high speeds and he seems to have an incredible awareness of what is going on around him. Because of this, he very rarely seems to take a big hit. Having watched most of his games this year, I can't even remember an instance where he got hit and I was worried about him getting up or anything like that at all.

His long term development will be interesting to follow. You hope he follows a similar path as Russell Wilson (or like Vick in his one near MVP year with Philly). His athleticism will obviously start to fall off eventually, but at the same time he is actually younger than Joe Burrow. When you're young, your body bounces back so easily. But his passing skills will need to keep improving if he's to keep up in his late 20s and early 30s and beyond.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It's so sweet to watch the Cowboys lose on Thanksgiving!

Bills were full value too, they brought a ton of pressure and Dak couldn't handle it.

Crazy finish to Saints/Falcons too! 3 inside kick recoveries in a row for Falcons but then their O-line and Matt Ryan went brain dead and gave up 3 or 4 sacks in the final 2 minutes.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
So...the NBA wants to do a midseason tournament. Okay. They are thinking of giving the winning team an extra draft pick.
What? So the rich get richer? The league is already essentially 5 teams. Why make it worse for the other teams?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So...the NBA wants to do a midseason tournament. Okay. They are thinking of giving the winning team an extra draft pick.
What? So the rich get richer? The league is already essentially 5 teams. Why make it worse for the other teams?

Isn't "the rich get richer" the motto of America?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

It's such a stupid idea.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I like Adam Silver's willingness to look outside the box but this is a little bit too out there

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Kind of a weird time to say the league is 5 teams at present. This is the most wide open a season we've seen since 'The Decision'.

The tournament is drawing inspiration from soccer and their league cups. Chance for smaller teams to show up to win something that matters, give younger players some meaningful games midseason and draw in fan interest during the dog days of the grind of a regular season. We already know how exciting single elimination is in basketball and the drama that brings.

I think its a fantastic idea that will likely need some tweaking but it'd be a great change and something to spice up the dreadfully long regular season. The NBA is just so far ahead of every professional league in NA in almost every way. So entertaining to follow.

Maybe I just see this differently being a European soccer fan. I get to watch my team compete for multiple titles (EPL, FA, UEFA), its great.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I dont care about the tournament. Do what you want. But awarding a pick to the best team seems counterintuitive to the point of the draft.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Kind of a weird time to say the league is 5 teams at present. This is the most wide open a season we've seen since 'The Decision'.

The tournament is drawing inspiration from soccer and their league cups. Chance for smaller teams to show up to win something that matters, give younger players some meaningful games midseason and draw in fan interest during the dog days of the grind of a regular season. We already know how exciting single elimination is in basketball and the drama that brings.

I think its a fantastic idea that will likely need some tweaking but it'd be a great change and something to spice up the dreadfully long regular season. The NBA is just so far ahead of every professional league in NA in almost every way. So entertaining to follow.

Maybe I just see this differently being a European soccer fan. I get to watch my team compete for multiple titles (EPL, FA, UEFA), its great.

Compete for multiple titles in various Leagues. There is an infrastructure in European football that supports multiple titles. The EPL title is just the President's Trophy, there is no championship game associated with it and the Champion's League is essentially North American playoffs.

The comparison doesn't work.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Compete for multiple titles in various Leagues. There is an infrastructure in European football that supports multiple titles. The EPL title is just the President's Trophy, there is no championship game associated with it and the Champion's League is essentially North American playoffs.

The comparison doesn't work.
I'm more comparing the NBA proposal to the FA cup vs the EPL. Its not uncommon for English Championship teams to go on long runs in those competitions.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm more comparing the NBA proposal to the FA cup vs the EPL. Its not uncommon for English Championship teams to go on long runs in those competitions.

Sure but the issue is you need multiple leagues for something like the FA Cup. Basically Leagues have one championship, inserting a "half way championship" is scrapping the bottom of the barrel in terms of creativity.

Then you have the whole "give great teams more draft picks" side which is another farce.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I dont care about the tournament. Do what you want. But awarding a pick to the best team seems counterintuitive to the point of the draft.
Oh sure, I don't disagree with that. I'd prefer the organization and players just take home a bonus. Like everyone on a tournament winning team gets a bonus 500k or something. I assume the draft pick is to incentivize the organization to actually dress their players instead of using it to rest their stars.

Maybe the compromise here is do the bonuses, at like 100k, make it a u24 tournament with some exceptions (vets get rest) and award a draft pick. Keep it the youth/NCAA feel, award the players and the teams.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It was Black Sunday in the NFL today. An absolute INSANE amount of injuries.

Evans, Andrews, Guice, J. Cook, Parker, Ridley, Jacobs, Fant, Griffin, now Penny...

... And that's just on the offensive side of the ball. 49ers D got decimated on top of a ton of injuries there too.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I’m in a win-and-I’m in situation for the fantasy playoffs. Was sitting at an 11% chance of winning around 4:15pm, so I decided to shoot the moon and sit Lockett for A.J. Brown (already had Tannehill starting).

I’ve never screamed at my TV louder than during that 91 yard touchdown.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If you want the definitive documentary on the Russian doping scandal, watch "Icarus". I'm pretty sure it is still on Netflix. You will be blown away at just how sophisticated and determined the Russians were, and still are, on gaining an advantage via PEDs.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m in a win-and-I’m in situation for the fantasy playoffs. Was sitting at an 11% chance of winning around 4:15pm, so I decided to shoot the moon and sit Lockett for A.J. Brown (already had Tannehill starting).

I’ve never screamed at my TV louder than during that 91 yard touchdown.
Went into last nights game up by 6 with my LA defence up against his Wilson, Cooks and Carson. Didn’t think I had a chance, somehow pulled out ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad