OT: Assorted Other Sports Thread

Dingleberry

Jun 18, 2019
OJ Howard biggest fantasy bust? Always saw him go as one of the first TE to go after the elite ones.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Looks like Mercedes won the constructors championship for 6 years in a row.
Yeah, it's getting boring, especially with Hamilton turning out to be kind of a jerk. The whole team was celebrating, but he was pouting because he finished 3rd.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Jets beat the Cowboys to get their first win of the season. That probably did some damage to survivor pools. Will probably hear about it Tuesday.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Goff is awful and Gurley is done. Windows already closed for LA.

Their O-Line is the actual problem.

Goff would be decent (not great, but decent) if that O-Line wasn't a completely out-of-control tire fire. Same for any of the RBs they have there - Gurley is iffy with the nagging injury issues, but Malcolm Brown isn't bad (again, not great, just not bad).

The O-Line though... might be the worst in the league right now? Wait, no... it IS ABSOLUTLEY the worst O-line in the league. Goff dropped back 24 times today, took contact on almost half of them: got hit 7 times after a throw, and sacked 4 times. 11/24 for QB contact, and that's just CONTACT... if you want to add all the times he was pressured to break out of the pocket to avoid contact, and either dump the ball to the sidelines or make a bad throw? Forget about it. And Brown behind that line was equally ineffective - how many times did he take the ball and not even make it to the line of scrimmage because the O-Line exposed gaping holes for the LBs to stuff him?

O-line can't pass-block. Can't run-block. Sure as hell can't stop any blitz formation. And if you watch them play, they might get even worse than they are performing before the season is over. I'm a former lineman myself (defensive tackle), and I can tell you these guys look like they could get beat by NCAA players using simple techniques. They look like an objectively bad group of players made even worse by a lack of confidence because they keep getting their meals served to them through a straw. That O-line would get beat by a stiff breeze right now.

Unless they can re-vamp the O-line in a single offseason (hint: they can't, nobody can), then it doesn't matter what Goff or Gurley do. Team's done regardless of those two guys.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Dingleberry

Jun 18, 2019
Their O-Line is the actual problem.

Goff would be decent (not great, but decent) if that O-Line wasn't a completely out-of-control tire fire. Same for any of the RBs they have there - Gurley is iffy with the nagging injury issues, but Malcolm Brown isn't bad (again, not great, just not bad).

The O-Line though... might be the worst in the league right now? Wait, no... it IS ABSOLUTLEY the worst O-line in the league. Goff dropped back 24 times today, took contact on almost half of them: got hit 7 times after a throw, and sacked 4 times. 11/24 for QB contact, and that's just CONTACT... if you want to add all the times he was pressured to break out of the pocket to avoid contact, and either dump the ball to the sidelines or make a bad throw? Forget about it. And Brown behind that line was equally ineffective - how many times did he take the ball and not even make it to the line of scrimmage because the O-Line exposed gaping holes for the LBs to stuff him?

O-line can't pass-block. Can't run-block. Sure as hell can't stop any blitz formation. And if you watch them play, they might get even worse than they are performing before the season is over. I'm a former lineman myself (defensive tackle), and I can tell you these guys look like they could get beat by NCAA players using simple techniques. They look like an objectively bad group of players made even worse by a lack of confidence because they keep getting their meals served to them through a straw. That O-line would get beat by a stiff breeze right now.

Unless they can re-vamp the O-line in a single offseason (hint: they can't, nobody can), then it doesn't matter what Goff or Gurley do. Team's done regardless of those two guys.

Interesting, I don't follow closely enough. When Gurley was healthy he was so good, changes the whole offense when you know you can get at least 5 on first down.

But yeah a shot offensive line would result in that. Did they lose anyone this offseason?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Interesting, I don't follow closely enough. When Gurley was healthy he was so good, changes the whole offense when you know you can get at least 5 on first down.

But yeah a shot offensive line would result in that. Did they lose anyone this offseason?

Their two best O-linemen (at Center and LG) left in the offseason - Sullivan became too expensive and the Rams let him go, and Saffold had an expiring contract and went to Tennessee. They replaced those two with two draft picks who are busting hard. One of them, Noteboom at LG, might be the worst regular LG in football.

Two more guys - the entire right side of the line at RG and RT - are getting older and losing their effectiveness. Blythe might be the worst RG in the league. Havenstein is bad too. It's easily the worst right side of any O-Line in the league by a massive, insane margin. What side do most rushing plays go through? The right side.

The last good player who remains, Whitworth (LT) is the only good guy in the group, and he's having a down year. But he's the only reason Goff isn't in the hospital yet.

It's truly an awful O-Line.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Their two best O-linemen (at Center and LG) left in the offseason - Sullivan became too expensive and the Rams let him go, and Saffold had an expiring contract and went to Tennessee. They replaced those two with two draft picks who are busting hard. One of them, Noteboom at LG, might be the worst regular LG in football.

Two more guys - the entire right side of the line at RG and RT - are getting older and losing their effectiveness. Blythe might be the worst RG in the league. Havenstein is bad too. It's easily the worst right side of any O-Line in the league by a massive, insane margin. What side do most rushing plays go through? The right side.

The last good player who remains, Whitworth (LT) is the only good guy in the group, and he's having a down year. But he's the only reason Goff isn't in the hospital yet.

It's truly an awful O-Line.
And to make matters that much worse, Whit's likely to retire in the off-season. Noteboom is injured and out for the year, and his replacement Jamil Demby is somehow even more of a turnstile. Things are going to get worse before they get better. And with Talib going on IR, Peters consistently getting burned going for picks and John Johnson potentially requiring surgery, our secondary's about to get lit the hell up too. The O-Line is by far the worst flaw on this team, but even with a stopgap trade for a good OL it won't fix the short-term outlook for the team. Injury bug catching up to us.

With the Goff and Gurley contracts both on the books, too, we're facing an off-season with 19 free agents and about $35 million to fill the roster. Eep.

Reactions: BonkTastic

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lebron just single handedly killed my hype for the Lakers season. Now to either take my bandwagon to Houston or the Clippers to take him out... maybe the Nugs and Jamal Murray.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
That's a fair point. Let's see what that D looks like against an actual NFL QB though.

The Chiefs are in a rough spot right now because they have some glaring needs to address at the TD. They needed to go after a corner but now with the run D being so putrid, they have to go improve that. Chris Jones being injured makes that harder too.

The offensive line is lost without Fisher but since he's got a groin problem it's hard to say whe he can return and if he'll be effective.

Will be an interesting week of transactions for them. Can't protect the QB and can't stop the run makes a matchup with the Patriots almost impossible atm

The talk has kind of cooled down, but the Chiefs would be a great spot for Jalen Ramsey. Apparently they play a lot of man and it may allow them to bring some safety help closer to the box.

I still can't count a team with Mahomes out, but if they're going into New England against that D, you know as good as he is, he's not going to score every drive and they'll need to slow New England down at some point.

OJ Howard biggest fantasy bust? Always saw him go as one of the first TE to go after the elite ones.

As a Chris Godwin owner, this pleases me. There were only so many extra targets from Desean Jackson leaving to go around and Howard was one of the most unsustainably efficient players per target last year particularly from the tight end position.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Bruce Arians killed his fantasy value.

Arians' system historically uses TEs as blockers and not receivers. He's never going to be a consistent threat as long as Arians is coaching that team.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
XFL inaugural draft is happening /happened today & tomorrow.

Rashard Davis the #1 pick... Among "skill players"?

The format of this draft is bonkers.

A couple of recognizable names though, for people who really pay attention to the NFL. Christine Michael got drafted. Kyle Murphy is a familiar name as a Packers fan. Couple other guys who had a cup of coffee here and there.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
XFL inaugural draft is happening /happened today & tomorrow.

Rashard Davis the #1 pick... Among "skill players"?

The format of this draft is bonkers.

A couple of recognizable names though, for people who really pay attention to the NFL. Christine Michael got drafted. Kyle Murphy is a familiar name as a Packers fan. Couple other guys who had a cup of coffee here and there.

Did Johnny (football) get picked?

I heard they're live streaming it and it's basically just a spreadsheet being updated over conference call.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Did Johnny (football) get picked?

He didn't seem to get drafted or assigned to a team (yet another weird part of this draft - the "starting QBs" got assigned to their teams, not drafted. I have no idea how that works).

So I looked it up a bit, and apparently there was an XFL "approved" list of players that teams could select from, and Manziel isn't on it.

Like I said - the draft is kinda bonkers.

Reactions: SPF6ty9

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Is anyone on the planet save maybe anyone who will get employed, excited for the return of the XFL? There's just not enough time in the day to get excited about low level competition in random sports unless they're somewhat local.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Is anyone on the planet save maybe anyone who will get employed, excited for the return of the XFL? There's just not enough time in the day to get excited about low level competition in random sports unless they're somewhat local.

Yeah, the local thing is probably somewhat true.

But that said... there's enough fanaticism in the 'States for fortball that, as long as they keep their operating costs low, they can probably carve a niche existence by having football during the parts of the year when the NFL is in it's offseason. Heck, it might even become a bit of a "developmental" league for undrafted NCAA players.

I don't think it's meant to be a national/international-level brand like the NFL is. If you think of it like football's AHL, it probably makes a bit more sense.

I probably won't watch more than like... maybe the championship game? And even then, probably more out of curiosity than anything else. But I don't think I'm the target audience.

Reactions: stempniaksen

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hey everyone, this seems to be the best place to ask the following:

Is Wayne Gretzky the most dominant player to ever play in a professional team sport's league? He has a 936 point lead over number 2 (Jagr who also played an extra 236 games) in all-time points.

I don't really follow other sports other than the World Cup of football/soccer and the Euro (sometimes Champion's League).

Just looking for some food for thought really.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hey everyone, this seems to be the best place to ask the following:

Is Wayne Gretzky the most dominant player to ever play in a professional team sport's league? He has a 936 point lead over number 2 (Jagr who also played an extra 236 games) in all-time points.

I don't really follow other sports other than the World Cup of football/soccer's and the Euro (sometimes Champion's League).

Just looking for some food for thought really.

Yes. Maybe Michael Jordan is the only other in the same conversation. One would have thought Michael Schumacher but now Lewis Hamilton is catching him.

My son does not appreciate how great the Great One was. He laughs at how bad the goalies are. We watched videos and he just doesn’t get it! We watched that Grant Fuhr Special (Making Coco), and I tried to make him understand how different goalies were back then. He says he could have scored in the 80s. Ugh.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
The talk has kind of cooled down, but the Chiefs would be a great spot for Jalen Ramsey. Apparently they play a lot of man and it may allow them to bring some safety help closer to the box.

I still can't count a team with Mahomes out, but if they're going into New England against that D, you know as good as he is, he's not going to score every drive and they'll need to slow New England down at some point.

As a Chris Godwin owner, this pleases me. There were only so many extra targets from Desean Jackson leaving to go around and Howard was one of the most unsustainably efficient players per target last year particularly from the tight end position.

Or not...

Guess that might explain why the Rams traded Peters today

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Nats off to the World Series!!!

Amazing day for Expos fans who carried the franchise with them all these years...dominant fashion as well.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeesh. Rams improve significantly at corner, but I'm kind of baffled at what the longterm plan is here. If we pay Ramsey, we're virtually guaranteeing a team of Donald, Gurley, Goff, Cooks, Ramsey, Hekker, Higbee and scrubs. And if we don't re-sign him, then that's a hefty haul for a rental.

RE: Nats... I stopped watching after the 7th run in the first inning. Tuned back in in the 8th and I SO wish the Cards could've finished the comeback. That bases-loaded at-bat should be one of many things replaying in StL fans' heads all summer. Opportunity was there to take advantage of a team without that killer instinct experience at this level, but they squandered it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad