OT: Association Football Thread III (All Soccer Talk Here!)

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm trying not to get too excited because Chelsea is going to be ****e this year, but United played well today. Fortunate to be saved by the post twice, but the final 75 minutes of the game were basically all United.

The attack already looks more cohesive without Lukaku slowing down the link up play. Rashford and Martial are going to terrorize PL defenses if they're healthy.

Chelsea looked horrible yesterday. They were awful. They did hit two posts, but even so, they were two steps slow in the entire second half.

Really doesn't bother me as a Liverpool fan, but I don't want Pulisic's development hindered by such a terrible squad. They also have so many unlikable players.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Except the EFL is part of UEFA and the "Cup Champion" would automatically get a berth in Europa League -- which UEFA wouldn't allow because the top league isn't competing.
That's stupid too. The FA Cup winner should be entitled to that, but not the FA Cup's weird little brother.

Reactions: 007

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sarri got more out of that squad than should have been expected (and had Hazard).

I don't want to criticize Lampard because he hasn't even had a chance but I'm confident he's not a world class manager right now.

B-tier teams like Everton, Wolves, and Leicester have more impressive rosters.

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Disappointed that no one is giving my United any credit and saying it was all Chelsea being bad and United being lucky. I don't think you luck into 4-0.

Actually more nervous for Wolves than Chelsea. Nuno is a heck of a manager.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Disappointed that no one is giving my United any credit and saying it was all Chelsea being bad and United being lucky. I don't think you luck into 4-0.

It wasn't luck, but it wasn't a fair result. I say that as a United fan. Some very promising signs, and a great result.

My concern is the MF. They don't have enough skill in the MF to play a possession game. They're going to have to counter all game, but I'm not sure that's how Ole wants to play. Going to be interesting. Not bringing in a MF was criminal. It's prob going to cost them.

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
It wasn't luck, but it wasn't a fair result. I say that as a United fan. Some very promising signs, and a great result.

My concern is the MF. They don't have enough skill in the MF to play a possession game. They're going to have to counter all game, but I'm not sure that's how Ole wants to play. Going to be interesting. Not bringing in a MF was criminal. It's prob going to cost them.

And we needed another striker too. Not having a replacement for Rom was silly. The board and Woodward did Ole no favors.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
United needed to bring in an out and out RW and another box to box midfielder this window in addition to AWB, Maguire, and James.

United needed another midfielder before Herrera left. Now that he's gone, they need two, IMO. One starting quality and one more for depth.

Ole needs to change the shape of the midfield. Play a 4-3-3 with McTominay and Matic platooning the spot right in front of the back 4. Pogba and Pereira/Fred/Mata (he's a midfielder at the point) I guess are the midfield options for now.

Pogba's pass to Rashford for the 3rd goal was brilliant, but Ole has him playing too deep as is in the 4-2-3-1. He needs to be playing further up in the midfield and be free to join the attack.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Chances of Man U finishing top-3?
20 to 25%. 50/50 they finish top 4. Going to be between them and Arsenal for 4th place. Going to come down to whose back line and goalkeeping hold up the best.

City, Pool, and Tottenham are the top 3 in no particular order barring catastrophe.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

They still have an A-tier roster, unlike Chelsea.

It's just that Man City and Liverpool are S-tier right now.

Wouldn't be shocked at all to see United finish 3rd.

Tottenham are a better side, but I also think Spurs are closer to the pack than they are to the top 2.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
They still have an A-tier roster, unlike Chelsea.

It's just that Man City and Liverpool are S-tier right now.

Wouldn't be shocked at all to see United finish 3rd.

Tottenham are a better side, but I also think Spurs are closer to the pack than they are to the top 2.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Chelsea finished 8th, or lower. They're not going below 10, but I don't think they see Europe next year.

Barring major injuries or a bad Champions League draw, Spurs are 3rd.

Man U and Arsenal battle for 4th. Loser is 5th.

Everton, Wolves, Leicester, and Chelsea are 6-7-8-9, in no particular order.

Newcastle is the only side right now I see as definitely relegated.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
With how winded we were after that, I half expected Barcelona to run in with the Money in the Bank briefcase.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
We should be relegated to the Championship for this game.

You're taking it far too seriously.

Chelsea knew that match was the only real chance they have at some hardware this season barring a miracle run through the FA Cup. Liverpool wanted to win, but wasn't taking it anywhere nearly as seriously.

I'm more annoyed that the match went to extra time and is going to affect the Reds this weekend because most of the usual starting 11 were on the pitch.

I care far more about the League championship than some stupid contrived "Cup" that gets played after the start of the season, 800 frickin' miles away.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You're taking it far too seriously.

Chelsea knew that match was the only real chance they have at some hardware this season barring a miracle run through the FA Cup. Liverpool wanted to win, but wasn't taking it anywhere nearly as seriously.

I'm more annoyed that the match went to extra time and is going to affect the Reds this weekend because most of the usual starting 11 were on the pitch.

I care far more about the League championship than some stupid contrived "Cup" that gets played after the start of the season, 800 frickin' miles away.
It's not just this game though. We've looked like absolute shit at the back the entire preseason plus all the real games so far.

Even Norwich was opening us up like a coconut.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Don't understand why that it's not played before the season. It really puts both teams at a disadvantage.

Pretty much all the other leagues in Europe haven't started yet, so earlier would be a problem for teams from other countries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad