OT: Association Football Thread III (All Soccer Talk Here!)

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Why is Bradley still playing?!
I'm happy the women won (and they deserved it) but the men always suck me back in and then eventually just disappoint. Pulisic is fun to watch but lets be honest in the second half no other American could make a difference.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The men should hold their head high. They were pretty unlucky. Sooner Bradley retires from international play the better. That ******* has a lifetime starting lineup spot as long as he wants it.
The first half was terrific. You just knew when they failed to capitalize that the possession game of mexico in the second half would wear the US down. Mexico adjusted and were the better team in the second half.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
This is what I saw as I left my office for lunch today.

Jn9JTvm.jpg

Reactions: Machinehead

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
EPL starting up again? I might be over the line, but the offseason is too short.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm trying not to get too excited because Chelsea is going to be shite this year, but United played well today. Fortunate to be saved by the post twice, but the final 75 minutes of the game were basically all United.

The attack already looks more cohesive without Lukaku slowing down the link up play. Rashford and Martial are going to terrorize PL defenses if they're healthy.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Because the Football Association, the Football League and the Premier League are (largely) different organizations, surely it's simple to understand! :sarcasm:
If the Football League wants to have a cup, they should have only tiers 2, 3, and 4. That would be way fresher.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I think it was easier to manage the length of the break and preseason when they weren’t hitting 3 different countries in 3 weeks on these stupid tours. I get it from a commercial standpoint. But spending a month traveling NA playing in NFL stadiums for an English club is not ideal.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
If the Football League wants to have a cup, they should have only tiers 2, 3, and 4. That would be way fresher.

Except the EFL is part of UEFA and the "Cup Champion" would automatically get a berth in Europa League -- which UEFA wouldn't allow because the top league isn't competing.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I think it was easier to manage the length of the break and preseason when they weren’t hitting 3 different countries in 3 weeks on these stupid tours. I get it from a commercial standpoint. But spending a month traveling NA playing in NFL stadiums for an English club is not ideal.

The pre-season tours are silly and stupid, but that's not really the issue. Neither is the amount of domestic Cup matches.

The biggest problem are the international breaks, which take out 3-4 weeks of the season, if not more. They try to make up the gaps with the "Festive Fixtures", but while the fans love that, it really kills the players and they don't really want to do them any more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad