Player Discussion Artyom Zub (D) [Page 4 Senators sign from KHL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I see the Leafs have signed Mikko Lehtonen. Does anyone know how Lehtonen compares to Zub?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm looking forward to seeing this guy this yr & see how he transitions to the NA game, he seems to have enough of a skillset to compete for a job & potentially steal it from someone else at some point next season.

A couple of talking heads were talking in the spring about him just stepping in to a top 4 role.

He's here in town apparently. Must be keen

Reactions: aragorn and senswon

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A couple of talking heads were talking in the spring about him just stepping in to a top 4 role.

He's here in town apparently. Must be keen
Cool. Good to hear he is excited, i hope he makes a good impression, though between him, Zaitsev, J.Brown and Gudbranson, somebody will be disapointed with their role.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Cool. Good to hear he is excited, i hope he makes a good impression, though between him, Zaitsev, J.Brown and Gudbranson, somebody will be disapointed with their role.

With the weirdness of this coming season, having 4 guys on the right and rotating 3 and 3 guys on the left and rotating 2 with only Chabot playing regularly might be the way to go.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Zub seems to be the biggest wild card on the team coming into this season. Depending who you listen to he could be anything from a solid top four contributor to a depth defenseman destined to quickly return to Russia.

Never having seen him play I have no idea what to expect but I'll always root for a guy with an awesome sounding name.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Zub seems to be the biggest wild card on the team coming into this season. Depending who you listen to he could be anything from a solid top four contributor to a depth defenseman destined to quickly return to Russia.

Never having seen him play I have no idea what to expect but I'll always root for a guy with an awesome sounding name.

Same I’m rooting for him 100% it would be awesome if he can become a 2nd pairing level D with some offensive contribution.

thammias

Feb 8, 2006
Don't know what this says of his offensive ability if anything but he was the highest scoring defenseman on a top St. Petersburg team outscoring other familiar names such as Nail Yakupov and David Rundblad on his team

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's a "late bloomer" offensively. He has started playing in the KHL at a young age (19-20) but was more recognized as a defensive D-man. He's farily mobile with good instincts. But last year, he kinda "broke out" offensively in his 24 y/o season, and he started drawing up NHL interest as a result

He's an article on Zub for anybody who hasn't read it yet. Interesting comments from McGuire, Button, Dorion, etc

Introducing Artyom Zub: His career, setting expectations, and the fit with Ottawa

And that quote from the athletic

Ultimately, Zub has also earned the trust of his coaches defensively at a relatively young age. He regularly appears on both special teams and was the go-to defender for late-game situations with the lead in all of my viewings. [...] At the end of the day, you can expect an aggressive, mobile two-way defender who isn’t afraid to take a chance on a puck, step up off the rush defensively, or join it offensively. But you can also expect a heads-up, careful outlet passer. And though he’s a volume shooter, his offensive game is a little one-dimensional, all of his goals this season were at even strength, and he’s not going to be a power play option.

I would have voted him around Sokolov/Kleven (16-17) in the prospect pool if he didn't graduate due to age (turned 25 y/o in October)

Reactions: RAFI BOMB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino