Rumor: Arthur Staple: Isles Remain Front-Runner for Tavares | Other teams still in mix

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
You guys forget tavares played for the blues when he was a kid and looked good in the blue note on the same team as Alex Pietrangelo. Jt and petro are also good friends. This has tavares signing with the blues all over it. He wore 19 as a kid. Bye bye j-bow.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Part of the article that's free to read for everyone: "Tavares interested in Toronto!!"

The context behind the article that's behind the paywall: "In my opinion, even though I've heard it from no one else"

Staples doesn't have a shill reputation. I expect the comment may be true to the extent he has never heard directly JT is afraid of a big hockey market but I don't read more into it. When has Tavares had the chance to entertain a move anyways?Why would he ever say that he wants a more hockey driven market? But the paywall comment is right on the nose, except he maybe should have said Leafs, Rags or Wings. Kaching! I believe nothing I read about what the guy wants, least of all from a pay site. If he was fully intending on staying he would not test the waters, but nothing he has ever said in public suggests his ideal future wouldn't be winning with the Islanders. Why the Kings and not the Sharks tho? Why would he show any of his cards?

The closest thing I can remember to this was Bouwmeester in Florida who was another guy who supposedly was afraid of the spotlight, but a big difference was the 7 year run of non playoff years and what came out very late was he actually presented the club with a list of clubs he would go to well before his move. Tavares has had 3 playoff runs in 6 years so not nearly as starved as Jaybo. The Panthers kept trying to sign Jaybo and then at the last minute decided they weren't on solid ground dealt his rights to Calgary. So sort of similar but not really, and not really comparable to Stamkos either because the Bolts had been a Cup contender for years so it was really mostly money.

It would be really interesting to know Tavares' criteria for a destination. Coach? Weather? Media? Just money? Would he actually sign with a club in the Metro division? His choice of destinations is the fascinating side story to the season. Imagine him as a Flyer! Anyways the Bruins won a Cup after trading Thornton for a bag of pucks and the Sharks have won jack so even if the Isles lose out, they may not have not lost anything long term. Most big dollar FA forwards don't come close to earning their deals.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I personally didn't think LA and Toronto were high up on his list, but if he goes to one of those teams, it's Stanley Cup or Bust for the remainder of his time with those teams.

Kopitar/Tavares or Matthews/Tavares/Kadri

That's scary good.

"Who does Tavares want to call him? It’s long been believed that the Kings and the Leafs would be his preferred destinations if he could choose."' From The Athletic

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
He's coming to the Flyers

We have 20 mil in cap space...

Eagles won the Superbowl, Sixers getting Lebron, Flyers gonna up the anti and go after JT

Reactions: Rebels57

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
One thing that might be over looked here is that Tavares has played for Babcock twice so far and he even said that he liked playing for him.

Not every team can boast that they have a coach at Babcock's level, I wonder if this will play a role in his decision.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
One thing that might be over looked here is that Tavares has played for Babcock twice so far and he even said that he liked playing for him.

Not every team can boast that they have a coach at Babcock's level, I wonder if this will play a role in his decision.
That's something others have mentioned on the Leafs boards.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
LA connection is through Quick. Tavares/Moulson/Quick have been a clique for years. Tavares recently built a house in SoCal, too. Been vacationing in SoCal for years.

If the Kings really do go after Tavares, I don’t think Carter is gone. They’re trying to add, not make lateral moves. One of Muzzin/Martinez will be out the door for sure, though.

I don’t see how the Kings legitimately contend beyond 18/19 with Kopitar, Tavares, and Doughty all making $10+ mill. That’s nearly half their cap in three players. Throw on Carter and Quick’s hits, and it IS half their cap in only five players.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
LA connection is through Quick. Tavares/Moulson/Quick have been a clique for years. Tavares recently built a house in SoCal, too. Been vacationing in SoCal for years.

If the Kings really do go after Tavares, I don’t think Carter is gone. They’re trying to add, not make lateral moves. One of Muzzin/Martinez will be out the door for sure, though.

I don’t see how the Kings legitimately contend beyond 18/19 with Kopitar, Tavares, and Doughty all making $10+ mill. That’s nearly half their cap in three players. Throw on Carter and Quick’s hits, and it IS half their cap in only five players.
Would it be possible that LA sign JT and try to trade Doughty to get as many assets as possible? Probably keep Muzzin/Martinez around at that point.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Doughty is going nowhere. I see Phaneuf as a cap dump. He makes $5.25 million. Then also one of Muzzin/Martinez traded next offseason.

The kings have a good number of quality defensemen just about ready. Clague (1-2 years from now), Moverare, Fantenberg, LaDue, brickley, not to mention what to do with Voynov. Maybe even Folin is back if the Kings clear a defenseman or two.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I personally didn't think LA and Toronto were high up on his list, but if he goes to one of those teams, it's Stanley Cup or Bust for the remainder of his time with those teams.

That's scary good.

"Who does Tavares want to call him? It’s long been believed that the Kings and the Leafs would be his preferred destinations if he could choose."' From The Athletic

Why wouldn't either team be high on his list?

LA is exactly that LA, enough said.

and Toronto is LOADED with young talent.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

That's scary good.

That’s why so few guys don’t chase money. There is no lock that going anywhere means you’ll win. Regardless of how that roster looks on paper crap just happens sometimes and you can’t predict it. Nashville may be the closest thing to a team that could win a cup next season if they signed him. Everyone else needs work or is still 2-3 years away. He may as good a shot of winning with the Isles in 3-4 seasons as anywhere else

HC7

May 2, 2018
Tavares played under Babcock for Canada and had nothing but good things.

Kadri even said he'd recruit him and didn't think he'd need that much persuasion.

People deny and get mad like they do at the Warriors. At the end of the day Toronto is the next dynasty and people are already scared. This Caps celebration will look so petty compared to the Leafs. When Tavares wins he becomes hockey royalty and runs Toronto with the rest if the big 3, Rielly, Naz etc.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Hahaha smallest grain of salt with this one but I was at the Marlies game of the finals tonight and my buddy was working security next to the Marlies tunnel and he was talking to Steve Kouleas and Kouleas told him that he heard Tavares could potentially get a one year 12M contract from the Buds. Interesting.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
If Tavares makes it to UFA, Toronto will go balls to the wall to get him. The Maple Leafs have a ton of money to spend. They can afford to give Tavares $12M and they'll still have enough money to give Matthews, Marner and Nylander their $28M a year and have about $5M to upgrade the defence.

Big thanks to drafting and developing well.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You mean to tell me that the only team that currently has rights and can talk to him is still the front runner?

That's shocking!!!

It would be news if the Isles WEREN'T the front runner... Would be pretty sad if they were getting beat out by a team that hasn't even said a word to the guy.

Reactions: Peacekeeper

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Tavares played under Babcock for Canada and had nothing but good things.

Kadri even said he'd recruit him and didn't think he'd need that much persuasion.

People deny and get mad like they do at the Warriors. At the end of the day Toronto is the next dynasty and people are already scared. This Caps celebration will look so petty compared to the Leafs. When Tavares wins he becomes hockey royalty and runs Toronto with the rest if the big 3, Rielly, Naz etc.
Get a couple top pair D before you even contemplate a "dynasty"

Last edited by a moderator:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You mean to tell me that the only team that currently has rights and can talk to him is still the front runner?

That's shocking!!!

It would be news if the Isles WEREN'T the front runner... Would be pretty sad if they were getting beat out by a team that hasn't even said a word to the guy.

You really think teams don't tamper? of course they do, they just do it without getting caught.

Tavares already knows who is interested

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
why would he want to waste the rest of his prime for a team that's only going to get worse in LA when he can just stay with the Islanders who have a stronger future?

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
Are the Leafs able to fit in Tavares with the other big three ready to sign within the next year or two?

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Are the Leafs able to fit in Tavares with the other big three ready to sign within the next year or two?

Just guessing but...

11-12M for Tavares
10M for Matthews
7M for Marner
7M for Nylander

Toronto would be looking at 35M or so for 4 forwards. That's 42% of an 82M cap. The Hawks managed to do something like this when they were winning Cups by riding cheap talent the rest of the roster, but they also had Keith winning the Norris and Seabrook in his prime anchoring the defense.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
they have 22m in cap space but only 15 skaters and 5 defenseman and the big 3 need raises those raises will easily be be 20 million plus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad