Rumor: Arthur Staple: Isles Remain Front-Runner for Tavares | Other teams still in mix

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
From a NYI fan point of view, it is all going to depend on what moves are in place by July 1. NYI need a goalie, and a top-4 D. If they acquire one, their chances go up. If they acquire both, I think its a done deal. I think NYI will acquire the G, but I don't see how they get the top-4 D.

Grubaeur probably likely. Top 4 D? Isles have 2 first round picks.... they can prob swing SOMETHING. (though I guess one will likely have to be dealt for the goalie)

I think the goalie will absolutely be in place. Probably by the draft. Heck, I think they get both that weekend.

NHL parity is crazy, JT sees a goalie and D man walk in the door and it's a done deal like you said.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'm confused. Are trades not allowed to happen anymore? With a growing cap and plenty of options, it's not like they are stuck with the players that are signed.

The Leafs have a unique opportunity for the 2018-2019 season because they have so much cap space. Whatever happens the following season will likely be dealt with accordingly, just like how plenty of teams have dealt with raises and the salary cap.

I would rather keep what I have and sign UFAs or trade picks than sign a player I don’t need for 12 mill a year and then hope it works out when I have to trade what currently is an important piece on my team because I can no longer afford him because I signed a guy I didn’t need to sign. Chances are if they have to dump Kadri or Marner they aren’t getting a better player back. It just so rarely happens in any league that pieces moved due to cap trouble end up getting you back something better. And obviously every GM in the league knows immediately that whoever signs JT is going to be desperate to offload someone in the next 1-2 seasons so they’re going to be in a position of weakness

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I would rather keep what I have and sign UFAs or trade picks than sign a player I don’t need for 12 mill a year and then hope it works out when I have to trade what currently is an important piece on my team because I can no longer afford him because I signed a guy I didn’t need to sign. Chances are if they have to dump Kadri or Marner they aren’t getting a better player back. It just so rarely happens in any league that pieces moved due to cap trouble end up getting you back something better. And obviously every GM in the league knows immediately that whoever signs JT is going to be desperate to offload someone in the next 1-2 seasons so they’re going to be in a position of weakness

Why assume they couldn't get a good package or even a good player back for Kadri or Marner? Why? People always think that GMs won't trade for good players just because of the respective team is close to the cap. Truth is, teams want good players on their team and will give up value for them. This isn't even to mention they could cut bait with very good secondary players like Hyman, Brown, etc.

Tavares is elite and again, the opportunity to add that level of talent for just cap space is a unique opportunity that rarely ever happens.

All of this is unlikely to happen but I think to say that the Leafs can't afford to sign Tavares isn't really accurate at all.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Grubaeur probably likely. Top 4 D? Isles have 2 first round picks.... they can prob swing SOMETHING. (though I guess one will likely have to be dealt for the goalie)

I think the goalie will absolutely be in place. Probably by the draft. Heck, I think they get both that weekend.

NHL parity is crazy, JT sees a goalie and D man walk in the door and it's a done deal like you said.

If Grubauer makes any difference in Tavares staying on the Island, if I am the Caps I am not sending him to the the division rival Island unless there is a huge over payment.

member 88115

Same here. that team needs to rebuild.
FYI, Toronto had only 7 more points than LA. That is with LA missing their 1B Center with Carter. You add Tavares plus possibly add Voynov and Vilardi: the potential can be huge. Both Kempe and Iafollo played great with room to grow. And yes, we would have to loose a player like Martinez and Muzzin but we have a them covered with Doughty and Voynov and or Martinez

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown = both Brown and Kopitar played very well with IA
Kempe-Tavares-Toffoli
Pearson-Carter-Vilardi
Clifford-Amadio-Brodzinski

Forbort-Doughty
Phaneuf-Voynov/Martinez
Brickley-LaDue = I think Brickley has the potential to be better than LaDue next year
MacDermid

With one of the Vets being helping out with rookie bottom pairing

Add Quick and that team is solid as hell

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Not create a situation where you're paying Tavares 12 million a year and the press is contemplating switching him to wing after he makes a series of defensive blunders. Fit matters, and free cap space can be an asset. I think it's more intelligent to max the space for deals later than squander it for a piece that doesn't fit. Because the truth is that unless the Leafs somehow acquire Patrice Bergeron, JT isn't going to happily play wing.
Why the hell would JT be on the wing? Cause Steve Simmons said so. Lmao. So just keep not signing players for a maybe down the road. Nah. Sign JT and look to trade for a d man if it comes up. He's a perfect fit in Toronto

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
If Grubauer makes any difference in Tavares staying on the Island, if I am the Caps I am not sending him to the the division rival Island unless there is a huge over payment.

I understand and I thought that as well but Caps have about $11M in cap space. Lets call it $16 once the cap goes up to $80 or so as projected.

Carlsson is going to eat at least half that. Then Tom Wilson will get a bit... Devante Smith-Pelley and either Jay beagle or a replacement 4th line C. Then Grubauer himself is an RFA. I think they could potentially fit everything in but it would be awfully tight (depending on what Grubauer wants/gets it may not be doable).

My point is the Caps may have to deal Grub whether they like it or not. True they don't have to trade to the Islanders but then again, Isles probably make the best offer (ex. Calgarys 1st round pick).

Reactions: ToneDog

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

And so they trade him to division rival Carolina? Or are they happy with whatever Buffalo offers once they eliminate their rivals?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
And so they trade him to division rival Carolina? Or are they happy with whatever Buffalo offers once they eliminate their rivals?

I would send him to Carolina before I sent him to the Isles if it helps ease Tavares out of the division. All things being equal Isles would be at the bottom of the food chain.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I would send him to Carolina before I sent him to the Isles if it helps ease Tavares out of the division. All things being equal Isles would be at the bottom of the food chain.

Is that for an emotional reason? Or for a strategic reason? I mean, maybe Carolina signs Tavares. Could happen.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

"Washington Capitals please? Hello? This is John, John Tavares. Just wanted to let you guys know I'm only going to re-sign with the Islanders if you guys trade them Grabauer. Trade him anywhere else and I leave. That's pretty much it, congrats on the Cup though!"

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
"Washington Capitals please? Hello? This is John, John Tavares. Just wanted to let you guys know I'm only going to re-sign with the Islanders if you guys trade them Grabauer. Trade him anywhere else and I leave. That's pretty much it, congrats on the Cup though!"

LOL. I am sure the Caps would love to help the Isles improve their goaltending situation whether Tavares leaves or not. After all there is no love lost between the two organizations. Maybe they pass on Trotz and let Lou sign him. While we are at it, let Carlson walk and sign with the Isles :)

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

There’s no way Carolina is giving up that pick though. The Isles might give up theirs

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
LOL. I am sure the Caps would love to help the Isles improve their goaltending situation whether Tavares leaves or not. After all there is no love lost between the two organizations. Maybe they pass on Trotz and let Lou sign him. While we are at it, let Carlson walk and sign with the Isles :)

I just think it's cute how you've twisted the situation to where Washington has the final say in whether or not Tavares re-signs. Oh, and whaddya know, you're giving me the Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator thumbs down.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I just think it's cute how you've twisted the situation to where Washington has the final say in whether or not Tavares re-signs. Oh, and whaddya know, you're giving me the Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator thumbs down.

Haven't twisted anything and haven't given any thumbs down. Yeah it is a bit of a stretch but it is possible that Caps do not want to help Isles with their goaltending, which plays into convincing JT to resign.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Haven't twisted anything and haven't given any thumbs down. Yeah it is a bit of a stretch but it is possible that Caps do not want to help Isles with their goaltending, which plays into convincing JT to resign. At the end of the day I doubt Grubauer is the answer. He wasn't in the playoffs for the Caps.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Strategic. Anything is possible but rumours say JT signs outside the Metro division if he makes it to July 1st.

And maybe Thomas Hickey signs with Washington, becomes besties with Tom Wilson and start a variety act called the Tom-Toms.

Sounds a touch emotional.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Haven't twisted anything and haven't given any thumbs down. Yeah it is a bit of a stretch but it is possible that Caps do not want to help Isles with their goaltending, which plays into convincing JT to resign.

I’m trying to think of another team out there who isn’t awful who may need a goaltender but I can’t think of anyone. The Isles and Carolina are oddballs in today’s NHL that they don’t really have a legit #1 starting goalie. They seem to be a dime a dozen these days. I think the Caps can sneak Grubauer in but he will have to take less money to stay as a backup and now that he has won a cup I don’t see any reason why he would do that

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’m trying to think of another team out there who isn’t awful who may need a goaltender but I can’t think of anyone. The Isles and Carolina are oddballs in today’s NHL that they don’t really have a legit #1 starting goalie. They seem to be a dime a dozen these days. I think the Caps can sneak Grubauer in but he will have to take less money to stay as a backup and now that he has won a cup I don’t see any reason why he would do that

Sabres, Flames, Dallas (backup), Ottawa (backup), AVs (backup), Canucks (if Demko is not ready), Flyers, Wings, STL ??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad