Rumor: Arthur Staple: Isles Remain Front-Runner for Tavares | Other teams still in mix

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
LA connection is through Quick. Tavares/Moulson/Quick have been a clique for years. Tavares recently built a house in SoCal, too. Been vacationing in SoCal for years.

This is true, but it is kind of weird to call it a clique. Matt Moulson and Quick are both married into the Backman family. Tavares is very close friends with Moulson. Sean Backman played in both NYI and LAK organizations, but is now in Germany. More like family and family friends.

One Big Hockey Family

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Tavares played under Babcock for Canada and had nothing but good things.

Kadri even said he'd recruit him and didn't think he'd need that much persuasion.

People deny and get mad like they do at the Warriors. At the end of the day Toronto is the next dynasty and people are already scared. This Caps celebration will look so petty compared to the Leafs. When Tavares wins he becomes hockey royalty and runs Toronto with the rest if the big 3, Rielly, Naz etc.

Wow, you sure seem confident. :laugh:

Reactions: dano16

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The thing that bugs me about the Toronto stuff, is that Toronto fans seem to want to get off on other teams' fans getting pissed at them rather than seeing their team do the best thing from a hockey POV. I mean, Toronto has TWO 30 goal scoring centers, and a d-man who plays 20 minutes a night that nobody should trust against quality opponents (i.e. David Pastrnak). It's not difficult to figure out their needs.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I really do wonder what kind of connections Staple has now that Lou is in charge.

So did Tavares just NOW start thinking about his future?

Snow could have known the ENTIRE time that Tavares wanted to stay in Long Island (his preference) but if he HAD to move he'd like to go to Toronto/LA.

Just because Lou is now there doesn't mean that this is brand new info. Tavares could have been thinking like this allll season, in fact, he probably was. "If it doesn't work out here and I don't really like the direction of the team, then yeah, I'd prob like to go to Toronto or LA" type of thing. He's waiting to possibly see the direction of the team.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
The thing that bugs me about the Toronto stuff, is that Toronto fans seem to want to get off on other teams' fans getting pissed at them rather than seeing their team do the best thing from a hockey POV. I mean, Toronto has TWO 30 goal scoring centers, and a d-man who plays 20 minutes a night that nobody should trust against quality opponents (i.e. David Pastrnak). It's not difficult to figure out their needs.
If a player the caliber of JT become avaliable and wants to join your team you do it 100%. As for needs please give me an example of what the leafs should do on D. OEL is resigning, Doughty is working on his extension to stay in Los Angeles, not a chance in hell Ottawa trades Karlsson to the leafs and I fully expect Carlson to stay in Washington. So what do you think the leafs should do?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
So did Tavares just NOW start thinking about his future?

Snow could have known the ENTIRE time that Tavares wanted to stay in Long Island (his preference) but if he HAD to move he'd like to go to Toronto/LA.

Just because Lou is now there doesn't mean that this is brand new info. Tavares could have been thinking like this allll season, in fact, he probably was. "If it doesn't work out here and I don't really like the direction of the team, then yeah, I'd prob like to go to Toronto or LA" type of thing. He's waiting to possibly see the direction of the team.

I was just wondering what kind of sources Staple has now with a new regime taking power because everyone knows that Lou runs a very tight ship. If you read the article, it's basically Staple offering up his opinions and not much more than that. It didn't help a Toronto fan started the thread with a misleading title and OP.

Believe what you want to believe, we're all in the dark about this. We can play the hypothetical game until we're blue in the face. If Tavares leaves, he leaves and it will suck to be an Isles fan. If he stays, then I'll be giving the middle finger salute to everyone deserved or not.

More than anything, I'd like some damn closure. I know I won't get it anytime soon because it will obviously go to the 11th hour which is going to suck.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
One thing that might be over looked here is that Tavares has played for Babcock twice so far and he even said that he liked playing for him.

Not every team can boast that they have a coach at Babcock's level, I wonder if this will play a role in his decision.
Bow down to Babdong

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If a player the caliber of JT become avaliable and wants to join your team you do it 100%. As for needs please give me an example of what the leafs should do on D. OEL is resigning, Doughty is working on his extension to stay in Los Angeles, not a chance in hell Ottawa trades Karlsson to the leafs and I fully expect Carlson to stay in Washington. So what do you think the leafs should do?

Not create a situation where you're paying Tavares 12 million a year and the press is contemplating switching him to wing after he makes a series of defensive blunders. Fit matters, and free cap space can be an asset. I think it's more intelligent to max the space for deals later than squander it for a piece that doesn't fit. Because the truth is that unless the Leafs somehow acquire Patrice Bergeron, JT isn't going to happily play wing.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I was just wondering what kind of sources Staple has now with a new regime taking power because everyone knows that Lou runs a very tight ship. If you read the article, it's basically Staple offering up his opinions and not much more than that. It didn't help a Toronto fan started the thread with a misleading title and OP.

Believe what you want to believe, we're all in the dark about this. We can play the hypothetical game until we're blue in the face. If Tavares leaves, he leaves and it will suck to be an Isles fan. If he stays, then I'll be giving the middle finger salute to everyone deserved or not.

More than anything, I'd like some damn closure. I know I won't get it anytime soon because it will obviously go to the 11th hour which is going to suck.

Yup, pretty much. Rest assured, while it sucks you have to play the guessing game until then, I'm fairly comfortable in saying that he will be staying in Long Island. I really don't see him leaving. Obviously I know nothing but I think it's just got to this point that now he has to wait until end of June one way or another. He's not going to sign today. But he'll hear a couple pitches (likely 3-4 teams) and then get no better or more assured answer that he will get with Lou and the Isles and then he'll re-sign, like you said, right at the 11th hour.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I LOVE the idea of a JT/Barzal 1,2 punch at center for a very long time but hate how much money itll cost... Cause if Barzal continues his dominance, his contract will be massive

I am stumped what i wanna see happen with JT

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
People keep comparing the Stamkos and Tavares situations and I don't get why they aren't the same.

It made total sense for Stamkos to stay in Tampa they built him a a solid foundation and a contending team with a deep prospect pool.

Not only have the NYI not done that, they haven't tried, other than trading for Eberle they have put ZERO effort into building a good team, and even the Eberle trade gets wiped out because then they traded their best D man for picks, and have made NO effort to sign CDH.

The situations aren't the same.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

They have holes on defense and in goal. I don’t think they’re anywhere near as close as people think and I would never add an offensive piece that costs that much when I’m already very strong offensively unless the league was uncapped. This move makes the most sense for three teams. Carolina St. Louis and LA. All ready to win and all lacking up front

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
People keep comparing the Stamkos and Tavares situations and I don't get why they aren't the same.

It made total sense for Stamkos to stay in Tampa they built him a a solid foundation and a contending team with a deep prospect pool.

Not only have the NYI not done that, they haven't tried, other than trading for Eberle they have put ZERO effort into building a good team, and even the Eberle trade gets wiped out because then they traded their best D man for picks, and have made NO effort to sign CDH.

The situations aren't the same.
Hamonic was the 4th best dman and was quickly being passed by pelech and isles needed to make room for pulock he was significantly worse than leddy boychuk and dehaan

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
But he'll hear a couple pitches (likely 3-4 teams) and then get no better or more assured answer that he will get with Lou and the Isles and then he'll re-sign, like you said, right at the 11th hour.

From a NYI fan point of view, it is all going to depend on what moves are in place by July 1. NYI need a goalie, and a top-4 D. If they acquire one, their chances go up. If they acquire both, I think its a done deal. I think NYI will acquire the G, but I don't see how they get the top-4 D.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
they have 22m in cap space but only 15 skaters and 5 defenseman and the big 3 need raises those raises will easily be be 20 million plus.

I'm confused. Are trades not allowed to happen anymore? With a growing cap and plenty of options, it's not like they are stuck with the players that are signed.

The Leafs have a unique opportunity for the 2018-2019 season because they have so much cap space. Whatever happens the following season will be dealt with accordingly, just like how plenty of teams have dealt with raises and the salary cap.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Isles or knights

I don’t think he goes anywhere near Vegas because they’re not locked to be a contenders. We have no idea if this was a fluke or semi fluke or not. Once Fleury didn’t play as well that team looked flat out bad and like the team I expected going into the playoffs losing in the first round because their defense just isn’t very good. They have like three #2 dmen but nobody good enough to be a 1 and you’re never winning a cup that way

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Hamonic was the 4th best dman and was quickly being passed by pelech and isles needed to make room for pulock he was significantly worse than leddy boychuk and dehaan

Hamonic on one leg is better than Pelech, and better defensively than Pulock. The problem was that Hamonic often is playing on one leg.

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad