Rumor: Arthur Staple: Isles Remain Front-Runner for Tavares | Other teams still in mix

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I heard Tavares wants a low key place where there is very little media attention. In that case i think San Jose would be a great spot for him.
That's an old misconception and an unintended dig at hockey in California. He would definitely get recognized in and around the Bay Area. Hockeys pretty huge now throughout California.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Oh, I'm not discounting Toronto in any way but rather responding to the "Why LA?" responses.

LA has Manhattan Beach and a relatively stress-free lifestyle. If he wants that, Toronto can't come close to matching that aspect.

Young talent? Toronto has it all over LA, no doubt.

I think you misunderstood I didn't mean "why LA" it's LA.

But looking at LA's cap space I go "how?' because they are at 4.5 million in space now even if the cap is 80 million that's 9.5 million at most I can't see Tavares getting less than 10.5.

It's going to be tough

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Its not like there's a lot of meat in the article. Islanders are front-runners, Toronto and LA are believed to be preferred destinations and the list of teams that have not-so-subtly hinted they'll pursue him will, in fact, pursue him.

I understand that and I'm not saying there is. What I'm saying is that even with the stuff that's going around, you can't read too far into it because it's most likely not coming from this side.

As for Brisson, he might leak some things himself when necessary in order to drive up a market, which wouldn't surprise me, but I just doubt anything being said right now is anything we can bank on, considering my conversations with said people.

Am I saying their word is the be all, end all? No, but it's just hard for me to take things at face value regarding this topic when others who are more connected are telling me that they're not getting anything from anyone, including Brisson.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Lower pressure environment means east coast..it's sea level so much lower pressure.....

Places like Colorado/ Calgary etc etc are at higher elevations...so higher pressure

;)

Keep scrolling left on that map, there's an ocean over there too.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I understand that and I'm not saying there is. What I'm saying is that even with the stuff that's going around, you can't read too far into it because it's most likely not coming from this side.

As for Brisson, he might leak some things himself when necessary in order to drive up a market, which wouldn't surprise me, but I just doubt anything being said right now is anything we can bank on, considering my conversations with said people.

Am I saying their word is the be all, end all? No, but it's just hard for me to take things at face value regarding this topic when others who are more connected are telling me that they're not getting anything from anyone, including Brisson.

..but they aren't saying much in the first place. There's not much to read into.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think you misunderstood I didn't mean "why LA" it's LA.

But looking at LA's cap space I go "how?' because they are at 4.5 million in space now even if the cap is 80 million that's 9.5 million at most I can't see Tavares getting less than 10.5.

It's going to be tough

Yeah...they'd have to move Toffoli and one of Martinez/Muzzin. Vilardi slides in on a low cap next season.

It would take some moves, for sure. If it is true that Tavares would want to come here then you have to try and figure it out.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
What's his connection to LA?

A very low key market where you can live on the beach and where shorts to practice.
Media here is soft, talk radio is Lakers, Trojans and Dodgers.

Unlike the NBA, pretty hard to make a super team in the NHL..

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A very low key market where you can live on the beach and where shorts to practice.
Media here is soft, talk radio is Lakers, Trojans and Dodgers.

Unlike the NBA, pretty hard to make a super team in the NHL..
I'm aware of the assumed attractions. I thought maybe there was some type of connection to the Kings that I wasn't aware of.

Wouldn't the Panthers have the same attractions and lower taxes?

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I'm aware of the assumed attractions. I thought maybe there was some type of connection to the Kings that I wasn't aware of.

He played with Carter and Doughty for team Canada. Even though a lot of people here hate Doughty, a lot of players seem to enjoy his company and personality. That's all I got lol.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009

Panthers with that attendance you never know where things will be in 5 years or where they could be.
Maybe he wants to get into TV and motion pictures

At the end of the day no team can match the Islanders offer given that extras year so its a pipe dream anyway.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don't get why Toronto would make a push at Tavares as opposed to Carlson/Green or simply try to use the cap space to add a piece on the blueline via trade.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Not sure the beach scene within ~20 minutes of the Panther's training facility v. South Bay to El Segundo but, yes, in theory they would.

Pretty far from Miami though in comparison to South Bay-to-LA. For whatever that's worth...probably not worth the difference in taxes.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I don't get why Toronto would make a push at Tavares as opposed to Carlson/Green or simply try to use the cap space to add a piece on the blueline via trade.
Because Carlson will be staying in Washington and Green had a chance to play in Toronto at the TDL and refused to waive.

Also if a player like JT wants to play for your team you make it happen. Elite players are basically never avaliable as ufa

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Tavares is a better player than both so make your strengths better and then go after cheaper options like Tanev who they can afford even with Tavares

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Especially when your new job is behind a paywall.

How interesting for him to tweet this on the same day he reports Toronto as a "long rumored destination".

The Athletic is constantly on sale. I'm looking at a 50% off banner on this site right now.

Perhaps there doesn't have to be a conspiracy theory to explain why Tavares might be interested in joining the young, exciting 105 point team in his hometown.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I love it lol if course the team that has the ufa has the best chance in most cases. The odd thing is..its been several months and no deal. If it were that easy if a choice it'd be done. I think he will test the market and if the Isles is where he wants to stay then he will but not before seeing other offers.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Tavares is a better player than both so make your strengths better and then go after cheaper options like Tanev who they can afford even with Tavares

That's fine but how exactly are they going to deal with the situation post this next year? I would assume JT is looking at the 10-11 range with term. Matthews will more than likely get at least 9-10 with term. Marner if you're lucky will get a Pastrnak level of a deal. Nylander will still be getting a fairly lofty raise. Gardiner and Hainsey will come off the books so that's 8m but are they just going to fill out the other 7+ with elc players? or min deal free agents as space holders? I guess I just don't understand the commitment as well as re-signing your core and adding defense or even retaining the defense you do have.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
That's fine but how exactly are they going to deal with the situation post this next year? I would assume JT is looking at the 10-11 range with term. Matthews will more than likely get at least 9-10 with term. Marner if you're lucky will get a Pastrnak level of a deal. Nylander will still be getting a fairly lofty raise. Gardiner and Hainsey will come off the books so that's 8m but are they just going to fill out the other 7+ with elc players? or min deal free agents as space holders? I guess I just don't understand the commitment as well as re-signing your core and adding defense or even retaining the defense you do have.

Go heavy on ELC deals I think. If they can dump marleau and martin next summer than it's doable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->