Art Ross Thread Part II: 2018-2019 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoHuman

May 31, 2018
Well this race is over.

Kuch a shoe in for Hart and Ross IMO.

If Kane drags his team to the playoffs and stays within 10 points of Kuch (he's 9 away right now), I think it'd be tough not to give him the Hart. With the Taylor Hall win over Kuch and McDavid year, voters showed that they'll sometimes lower players in the voting if their team is "too good." And we all know they always punish guys for being on a team that doesn't make the playoffs. It's the argument of what does "most valuable" really mean. It doesn't necessarily mean the best player in the league, which I think Kuch clearly is on the season as a whole. Without Kucherov, maybe the Lightning aren't at 94 points in 60 games, but they're still really f***ing good. Point (5th) and Stamkos (9th) are in the top 10 in scoring. Hedman is great and Vasi is playing well.

Without the Kane, the Hawks are nothing. They've yet to win a game where he hasn't contributed with at least a point. In 7 of their 9 OT losses, he has at least a point. That means the Hawks have gotten 2 points out of 59 that Kane hasn't contributed to offensively. That's insane.

That said, this is the Art Ross thread lol. And yeah, tonight really sealed it for Kucherov IMO. Going to be real tough for anyone to catch him.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I hate stats like this though. The Lightning got lucky. If they really thought Kucherov could become this player, they would have taken him in the first round. Instead they took Vlad Namestnikov ahead of him in round 1.

To me the only time I feel like teams screw up is the first round. Because the players in the first round are predictable enough that finding talent there shouldn't be as hard for teams as it is.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Over the last 2 years, Kucherov has 8 more points than McDavid.

Over the last 3 years, McDavid has 7 more points, but has play 8 more games.

Kucherov best player in the world CONFIRMED.
McDavid also plays 3.5 more minutes per game, that adds up to playing more than 14 more games a season.

Reactions: Mbraunm and binop7

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
With Kucherov, the Lightning are the Stanley Cup favorite. Without him, they’re a playoff team that is on everyone else’s level. That, along with leading the league in scoring is why he is MVP.

Kane is having an awesome year and the Blackhawks are not a very good team but what is the fascination these days in sports with players leading a team to the last seed in a conference by a game or a point sometimes to most likely just get bounced by the #1 seed? It’s such a tired argument to use against the best player in the league.

The Bulls were a very good team without Jordan but he was the difference between them making the Finals and winning every year, which is what made him MVP.

Kucherov playing the way he has makes him the clear MVP.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Take away any teams best player and theyre gonna take a big hit. The lightning wouldnt be immune to this. Without kuch they definitely would not be cup favorites.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
At the same time, Kucherov’s first 15-20 games this season were slow by his standards at least and Tampa was still comfortably ahead of everyone in the standings.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
When was the last time a team had three 100 point players? Kucherov is a lock to do it, Point is very likely, and Stamkos is flirting with a 100 point pace right now.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
When was the last time a team had three 100 point players? Kucherov is a lock to do it, Point is very likely, and Stamkos is flirting with a 100 point pace right now.
95-96 Pittsburgh i think. Lemieux (161) Jagr (149) and Francis (119). Almost had 4 with Nedved (99).

05-06 Ottawa would have done it as well with Alfredsson (103), Heatley (103), and Spezza (90), but Spezza got injured only playing 68 games.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
McDavid also plays 3.5 more minutes per game, that adds up to playing more than 14 more games a season.

Why do people keep bringing this up when it is obvious it is meaningless?

Yes, there should be no denying that Kucherov has been on McDavid's tier offensively over a three year period which should not trigger McDavid fans who for some reason believe he is untouchable.

That being said, comparing TOI among the very best offensive talents is meaningless and as simplistic as comparing ES points to PP points or throwing out "what if " scenarios about linemates and strength of team.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I hate stats like this though. The Lightning got lucky. If they really thought Kucherov could become this player, they would have taken him in the first round. Instead they took Vlad Namestnikov ahead of him in round 1.

To me the only time I feel like teams screw up is the first round. Because the players in the first round are predictable enough that finding talent there shouldn't be as hard for teams as it is.
This logic doesn't work. If you think someone is going to be a stud, but you know that he's going to be available in the second, why waste your first pick on him?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This logic doesn't work. If you think someone is going to be a stud, but you know that he's going to be available in the second, why waste your first pick on him?

Because that's a huuuuuuge (can't overstate this enough) gamble to make. The difference between having arguably the best player in the league and not having him.

Nah, if Tampa knew what they were getting, he goes in the first round, and they might even be scared enough to trade up to get him.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
If Kucherov wins the Ross by 20 he gets the hart. If Kane misses playoffs Kuch wins. It gets close if hawks make playoffs and Kane is within 10. If the spread is under 10 I think Kane wins. People seem to forget McDavid only won the Ross by 6 last year and last year was the first year in a long time a player on a top team didn’t win

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
If Kucherov wins the Ross by 20 he gets the hart. If Kane misses playoffs Kuch wins. It gets close if hawks make playoffs and Kane is within 10. If the spread is under 10 I think Kane wins. People seem to forget McDavid only won the Ross by 6 last year and last year was the first year in a long time a player on a top team didn’t win

Yeah I think if hawks make the playoffs and Kane is within 10pts he gets the Hart. Not saying it's right or wrong. Kucherov should get the lindsay though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad