Art Ross thread (2018/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
The way some people see things is funny. McDavid hasn't even starting playing for real and he's only 6 points back meanwhile Kucherov is doing all he can and is only 6 points ahead. Wait until McDavid starts trying. Funny stuff.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
The way some people see things is funny. McDavid hasn't even starting playing for real and he's only 6 points back meanwhile Kucherov is doing all he can and is only 6 points ahead. Wait until McDavid starts trying. Funny stuff.
Why wouldn’t Mcdavid be trying?

Reactions: Balance

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Fact of the matter is Kucherov had only 8 less points than Mcdavid last year and has 6 more points this year. So Mcdavid has scored 2 more points in the last 1.5 seasons. So Mcdavid is not on another level

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
No reason but that's the gist of what some posters were saying. "Wait till McDavid gets going then he'll blow everyone out of the water" ... things like that.
That’s nit a suggestion that he’s “not trying”. That’s for the historical fact that he gets more productive in the back half of seasons than in the front half of them.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Fact of the matter is Kucherov had only 8 less points than Mcdavid last year and has 6 more points this year. So Mcdavid has scored 2 more points in the last 1.5 seasons. So Mcdavid is not on another level
Individually McDavid is on another level. But Kucherov has much more support which makes it very hard for McDavid to gain ground. Tampa juts scores a lot more. This is not really to take anything away from Kucherov who is extremely talented.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
That’s nit a suggestion that he’s “not trying”. That’s for the historical fact that he gets more productive in the back half of seasons than in the front half of them.
You mean he starts to score more when his team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention and have nothing else to play for? Just like last season.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

He also hasn't really had any games where he's getting 4+ points or a 10 game stretch where he scores 30+ points. He's just been consistently getting 1-2 points per game. It doesn't mean he's going to win the Art Ross though, any of the top 5 scorers this year have a legitimate shot.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Individually McDavid is on another level. But Kucherov has much more support which makes it very hard for McDavid to gain ground. Tampa juts scores a lot more. This is not really to take anything away from Kucherov who is extremely talented.

This actually takes something away from Kucherov. You can just as easily argue that being on a good team is a disadvantage to Kucherov. He certainly showed in 16/17 that he could score without nearly the amount of support he is getting this year. His PPG was in was only 6% lower than McDavid's on a worse team.

Why does everyone feel the need to come up with excuses for McDavid not being the points leader?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

He has had two full season to reference. Both very different in terms of team success. Kucherov was way more productive in the back half of the 16/17 season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This actually takes something away from Kucherov. You can just as easily argue that being on a good team is a disadvantage to Kucherov. He certainly showed in 16/17 that he could score without nearly the amount of support he is getting this year. His PPG was in was only 6% lower than McDavid's on a worse team.

Why does everyone feel the need to come up with excuses for McDavid not being the points leader?

It's not an excuse. Kucherov has earned his place at the top of the heap. In the end of the day the Art Ross is strickly about the numbers. No analysis is necessary as to how they got there. But that is not what my post was responding to. It was the claim that Kucherov is on par with McDavid as a hockey player. I still believe that McDavid is in a different tier of player and I suspect almost everyone in the hockey world would as well. If you don't think so, so be it.

And in your own post you actually lend evidence to support what I am saying. 85 points in 74 games without the same type of support is exceptional. But he is now on pace for way more than that and I would be shocked if the added support was not a huge factor. And by support I am not talking about scoring by the third line guys. I am specifically speaking about the five guys who are on the ice with Kucherov. To get an assist someone has to score. If you have more guys on your line capable of putting the puck in the net and you are as talented as Kucherov you probably get more assists.

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
It's not an excuse. Kucherov has earned his place at the top of the heap. In the end of the day the Art Ross is strickly about the numbers. No analysis is necessary as to how they got there.

Nah bro, secondary assists.

It's better to analyze exactly how important those points are.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
And in your own post you actually lend evidence to support what I am saying. 85 points in 74 games without the same type of support is exceptional. But he is now on pace for way more than that and I would be shocked if the added support was not a huge factor. And by support I am not talking about scoring by the third line guys. I am specifically speaking about the five guys who are on the ice with Kucherov. To get an assist someone has to score. If you have more guys on your line capable of putting the puck in the net and you are as talented as Kucherov you probably get more assists.

If you're on a worse team the offense is more likely to run through you if you're "the guy". When an Oiler gets the puck who are they looking to pass to? When a Lightning player gets the puck it's like gosh golly gee who do I pass to Kucherov or Stamkos or Point or Hedman or etc etc.

Mcdavid also plays 22:44/game versus 19:12/game for Kucherov. Two ways to look at that. Mcdavid gets more ice time to get points, but Kucherov is fresher in the ice time he gets.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It's not an excuse. Kucherov has earned his place at the top of the heap. In the end of the day the Art Ross is strickly about the numbers. No analysis is necessary as to how they got there. But that is not what my post was responding to. It was the claim that Kucherov is on par with McDavid as a hockey player. I still believe that McDavid is in a different tier of player and I suspect almost everyone in the hockey world would as well. If you don't think so, so be it.

The general rise in scoring is the biggest factor. His PPG of 1.15 was 3rd best in 16/17, this year it barely breaks the Top 20, and McDavid's league best PPG of 1.22 in 16/17 would good for 14th best this year.

If McDavid is on another tier from Kucherov (and everyone else), then he has plenty of opportunity to show it in the form of clearly better production. Kucherov has equalled him in the past 2 1/2 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ageless and Felidae

Sundance

You Can Never Get To
Sep 7, 2010
Lillyhammer
Gaudreau has come a long way. At the end of November, he was tied at 17th in scoring with 28 points (14 points back of then league-leader Rantanen).

From December 1st though, he's equal first in scoring alongside Kucherov with 40 points (Kuch in 20 games, Johnny in 21) and first in goals with 17 and equal-second with +21.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
well Johnny hockey was up there last year then the 2nd half hit and he went downhill. until I see consistency he's not even close to mckannion, kuch or mcdavid

Over his past 150 games, Gaudreau has 179 points, a 98 point pace. Only McDavid and Kucherov have scored more points during that period.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau has come a long way. At the end of November, he was tied at 17th in scoring with 28 points (14 points back of then league-leader Rantanen).

From December 1st though, he's equal first in scoring alongside Kucherov with 40 points (Kuch in 20 games, Johnny in 21) and first in goals with 17 and equal-second with +21.

Go back even further to Nov 18th - he was 35th in scoring with 20p in 20gp and 78th in goals with only 6.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
McDavid seems to always be creeping closer and closer. I predict he and Kucherov will be in a dead heat in a month. I sure as hell wouldn't bet a dime against McDavid. Either way its great to so some potentially big time numbers put up this year. Been too long.

Reactions: North Cole

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
You mean he starts to score more when his team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention and have nothing else to play for? Just like last season.
Well as of right now the oilers are tied in pts for a playoff spot so whatever he does for the time being is very impactful.

I predict that whether or not the oilers are or aren’t in a playoff spot, he’ll still heat up in the back half of the year. Just like he did the year they made the playoffs, and just like he did the years they didn’t.

Last edited:

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
never seen someone hate on a player like daver does with mcdavid, i think it should form some sort of psychological case study or thesis...
I mean... There is a poster here who's name is DownGoesMcDavid. He literally made a username because he hates a player so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad