Art Ross thread (2018/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Such BS. Kucherov is playing out of his mind and McDavid is 6 points back. WTF

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017
It's pretty obvious that McDavid is going to hit 130 points this year. I just don't see him slowing down at all.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
And Mcdavid hasn't even warmed up yet that's the scary part

Ya but it also sucks because McDavid is the default with no competition. It's like a healthy Crosby. But it sucks because Crosby isn't in peak form now, only 55 points. Peak Sid vs McDavid now would be very fierce battle for Art Ross. Now you have a player playing at 135 point level, and the default Art Ross winner is 6 points back. It sucks for the league.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The Oilers had 4 minutes of penalties to kill in the last 8:45 and McDavid doesn't do PK. Without those 4 minutes I guarantee you that McDavid would have played more that 17:03.
Plus the guy apparently is really sick with the flu. If he was healthy I suspect his TOI would have been a lot closer to Draisaitl's who played 21:33 tonight.

Edit: The fact is that I would be very surprised if McDavid's ice time is reduced when the Oilers have a significant lead. 1) A significant lead is not going to happen very often. 2) If McDavid isn't on the ice for a significant portion of the game the Oilers are more likely to lose... he's that important to the team.

I know he's ultra important to the team, he's likely the singular most important player to his team, league wide. We are easily one of the worst teams in the league when he's not on the ice.

Who knows...if he plays two shifts in that time, thats about 1:48 of time. His average shift time is ~54 seconds. Doesn't get him near Draisaitl's time and perhaps if he didn't have the flu he would have played more. But he did have a flu and he played less than he normally does while it was also a blowout. What you're saying now is the sample size is too small, because we need to see a blowout AND a game where he doesn't have the flu...but Oiler blowouts are extremely rare. So I guess we'll probably not know for at least another 20 games.

The second least TOI he has recorded in a game this year was 18:12 in a win against DET (nov 3, we won 4-3 in Reg), where he recorded 2 assists. 18:22 TOI two games later where we got punched out 5-2 by the TBL (he recorded no points and was -2). It seems to me that his ice time has a few random outliers, and that there will never be a sample size large enough + or - from his avgTOI to give us any clue about how the coach plays him.

December 5th agains the blues, 3-2 SO win....he played 28 minutes and had 1 point.... What was so different between that game and the DET game that resulted in him playing 10 minutes more? I have no idea.

The only thing I know, is that unless he leaves the ice for injury, you will never see him play a 15 minute game. But his TOI is higher than 99% of forwards, so if he's playing less than 20 minutes, I'd say he's riding the bench to a degree.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ya but it also sucks because McDavid is the default with no competition. It's like a healthy Crosby. But it sucks because Crosby isn't in peak form now, only 55 points. Peak Sid vs McDavid now would be very fierce battle for Art Ross. Now you have a player playing at 135 point level, and the default Art Ross winner is 6 points back. It sucks for the league.
It’s how it works. That’s why he has the title of being a generational talent.

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017

Kucherov, Rantanen, Gaudreau and Mackinnon aren't competition??

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This thread is funny.

Only the time of ice is considered a factor in a players points but who his linemates are and who he plays with is irrelevant apparently
McDavid pretty well plays with Draisaitl glued to his hip and he's had over an hour more of ice time (69 minutes to be exact) than Gaudreau, despite playing 45 games to Gaudreau's 47

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Kucherov, Rantanen, Gaudreau and Mackinnon aren't competition??
Not over a full season. They have to play out of their mind to overtake McDavid for part of the season. McDavid just tied Rantanen who had a 10+ pt lead on him earlier on.

McDavid and Sid before had one thing in common, consistently playing at a very high level. In the end they surpass players playing above their level. When Sid had 56 in 36 season he was losing to Thomas Vanek for a chunk of the season and then roasted him.

All the players you listed are playing above their level.

Last edited:

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
McDavid pretty well plays with Draisaitl glued to his hip and he's had over an hour more of ice time (69 minutes to be exact) than Gaudreau, despite playing 45 games to Gaudreau's 47
well Johnny hockey was up there last year then the 2nd half hit and he went downhill. until I see consistency he's not even close to mckannion, kuch or mcdavid

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
well Johnny hockey was up there last year then the 2nd half hit and he went downhill. until I see consistency he's not even close to mckannion, kuch or mcdavid
This is why McDavid remains the odds on favourite. As good as anyone of these guys sample sizes are at producing at this clip, 25 games, 50 games, 150 games etc, McDavid’s sample size is even larger and it started on the day he played his 1st NHL game.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Whenever Crosby did play a full season he usually failed to win the Art Ross. He lost to Henrik Sedin at 22.

I'd put a guy like Kucherov on the same relative level as the Sedins.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Well the whole team fell apart in the last 6 weeks of the season plus his center (Monahan) was playing injured for the most part (so much so that the team shut him down at the 73 game mark).
Monahan ended up having 4 separate surgeries at season end.

I don't expect all the above to happen again this year.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Whenever Crosby did play a full season he usually failed to win the Art Ross. He lost to Henrik Sedin at 22.

I'd put a guy like Kucherov on the same relative level as the Sedins.
He lost to Sedin, but Ovechkin should have won that Ross. Ovi had 109 in 72.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
This is why McDavid remains the odds on favourite. As good as anyone of these guys sample sizes are at producing at this clip, 25 games, 50 games, 150 games etc, McDavid’s sample size is even larger and it started on the day he played his 1st NHL game.
But it's only because Draisaitl is glued to his hip and his TOI is so high.:sarcasm:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Well the whole team fell apart in the last 6 weeks of the season plus his center (Monahan) was playing injured for the most part (so much so that the team shut him down at the 73 game mark).

Gaudreau is 4 years older and has never come close to displaying McDavid's consistency. May not fall apart like last year but he's not going to keep up with McDavid either.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
That’s what the Colorado guy said in this thread last month.

The point is that as unlikely as it may be for anyone to fall of their pace here, McDavid, because of track record is the least likely to fall off.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
69 points in 45 games. :laugh: 97 is about to hit the part of his schedule where he takes it into turbo mode. Goodluck to anyone within a few points of him.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
2006-2007 was a higher scoring season than McDavid's sophomore season and had more PPOs. Crosby also scored more than half those points on the PP.

His second season may have been better than McDavid's, but if it was, it wasn't 20 points better. That's for sure.
It's was also the start of no two line pass, this gets overlooked all the time and D systems had not adjusted.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I am an Oilers fan, but the people talking like the other guys don't even have a chance against McDavid are out of their mind. I get that he's consistent, and I'd probably bet on him if I had to pick - but anyone of those guys has a chance against him to win the Ross.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I am an Oilers fan, but the people talking like the other guys don't even have a chance against McDavid are out of their mind. I get that he's consistent, and I'd probably bet on him if I had to pick - but anyone of those guys has a chance against him to win the Ross.
Everyone knows those guys have a chance, I don't think anyone truly believes they don't. McDavid can't win every Art Ross every year it's just not possible, but having won 2 consecutive Art Ross and having come from behind before to take one and being only 6 back of the current leader it's understandable that most people have him as the favorite to win it again.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003

You forgot Johnny's dad had a heart attack as well, but yeah, the whole team checked out, Stupid coach continued to play Monahan who could barely hold his stick or move one leg, Smith injury and Tkachuk going down...total disaster last 1/3 of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad