Art Ross thread (2018/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Like @BallardEra said above me, he has not hit his stride yet, and is not "playing the best hockey of his career". You're stat watching, not watching the games.

And yes, late November they were tied in points, Rantanen with a game in hand. McDavid had more goals though.
McDavid hasn't been any closer than 3 points after 5 games this entire season.

Maybe check your numbers before you accuse me of spouting nonsense.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yes if you go back to 3 seasons ago, McDavid was scoring at a faster rate than Mack or Rantanen.

Not sure how that affects this years race. Mackinnon has better offensive numbers over the last 115 games. Rantanen has been ahead of both of them all season.

7 points back is the closest McDavid has been in weeks, and that's the day after a 3 pt game while Rantanen is in a cold streak lol

You can't deny how good Rantanen has been this year. He's had a better start of any player since Crosby in 2010.

Attachments

• f5lnmnz86g521.jpg
    f5lnmnz86g521.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 3

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
The others pace is picking up, while his is slowing down? The closest McDavid has come to the lead in a long time is 7 points, which happens to be right now.

Rantanen has had a bit of a cold streak and is still comfortably ahead.

Kucherov had 5 points last night.

Mack takes the Ross, McDavid finishes 3rd.
2 point lead(Kucherov) is comfortably ahead? Hmm. What Rantanen is experiencing recently is stat correction. Anyone who thinks that Rantanen is a 130-point player(his current pace) is delusional.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
2 point lead is comfortably ahead? Hmm. What Rantanen is experiencing recently is stat correction. Anyone who thinks that Rantanen is a 130-point player(his current pace) is delusional.
2 points ahead after kucherov scores 5 points in a game? Context is important

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
November 15th he was 3 points back. He may have tied him for a day?
Yes. First there was the thread about how long will it take for McDavid to take the lead, then there was the one I linked where he tied (led based on goals) for the night.

It’s still far different than what you’ve been saying than McDavid hasn’t been near him since the 5 game point.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
2 points ahead after kucherov scores 5 points in a game? Context is important
I see. Comment was made before Kucherov's 5-point game.

Still, I would not call even a 5-10 point lead comfortable with more than half the season to play.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yes. First there was the thread about how long will it take for McDavid to take the lead, then there was the one I linked where he tied (led based on goals) for the night.

It’s still far different than what you’ve been saying than McDavid hasn’t been near him since the 5 game point.
I didn't check it game by game. Just biweekly.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
He wasn't tied in ppg or points.

I figured you said McDavid is playing the best hockey of his career because he's at his highest points per game pace so far.

Even so, league scoring is up and I feel that McDavid was more impressive (so far) in his last two seasons than he's been this season.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I figured you said McDavid is playing the best hockey of his career because he's at his highest points per game pace so far.

Even so, league scoring is up and I feel that McDavid was more impressive (so far) in his last two seasons than he's been this season.
It's at 3.06gpg up from 2.97gpg

It's not even up 3 percent. It's negligible

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I see. Comment was made before Kucherov's 5-point game.

Still, I would not call even a 5-10 point lead comfortable with more than half the season to play.
Yah there's tons of hockey left.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
One does simply not outscore a healthy Mcdavid in points, that’s just the way it is. You’ll see

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
His points per game this season averages out to 120 points. Last season he had 108.

McDavid's career points per game:

2015-16: 1.07
2016-17: 1.22
2017-18: 1.32
2018-19: 1.49
Yeah he's had his best start of his career. The fact that he's in 4th in scoring is pretty incredible.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
McDavid is going to catch the field and distance himself. He did it last year and I’m expecting it again this year.

He’s also doing it with far less help than others. Best player in the game, it’s not close.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
McDavid is going to catch the field and distance himself. He did it last year and I’m expecting it again this year.

He’s also doing it with far less help than others. Best player in the game, it’s not close.
For him to make up 7 points, and then put sizeable distance from the rest of the pack, would require (at a minimum) of 58 points in his next 46 games.

That would give him a 5 point lead, and it only works if everyone else scores at 1ppg or less.

If Rantanen drops to 1.25ppg, McDavid will need 68 points over his next 46 games or 1.47ppg.

He could do it, but he'd have to keep his current pace and every one else would have to significantly slow down.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
One does simply not outscore a healthy Mcdavid in points, that’s just the way it is. You’ll see

It's comments like this that really have me rooting for anyone else. ;)

I kept hearing Crosby was a lock for the Calder and would win award after award during his younger years as well.........

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
For him to make up 7 points, and then put sizeable distance from the rest of the pack, would require (at a minimum) of 58 points in his next 46 games.

That would give him a 5 point lead, and it only works if everyone else scores at 1ppg or less.

If Rantanen drops to 1.25ppg, McDavid will need 68 points over his next 46 games or 1.47ppg.

He could do it, but he'd have to keep his current pace and every one else would have to significantly slow down.

It’s more likely that Rantanen slows down and McDavid heats up than most other situations.

McDavid hasn’t even really gone on one of his crazy hot steaks yet. He’s been kind of unlucky the last few games as he’s hit a number of posts. I expect we’ll see him catch fire at some point.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It's comments like this that really have me rooting for anyone else. ;)

I kept hearing Crosby was a lock for the Calder and would win award after award during his younger years as well.........
Me too. The stats aren't on McDavids side this year. He could still win, but he'd have to probably crush his career high, and get lucky with other players slowing down.

If he wins it will be his most impressive win by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad