Art Ross thread (2018/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
McDavid doesn't need to heat up. Rantanen will slow down; all McDavid needs to do is maintain his current pace, which he is perfectly capable of doing.
I don’t think Ratenen will slow down though. It’s not like these guys are chumps or anything. They are right up there on skill level with Mcdavid

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I don’t think Ratenen will slow down though. It’s not like these guys are chumps or anything. They are right up there on skill level with Mcdavid
So you think Rantanen will get 130 points this season? Because that is his current pace. There is a difference between not being a chump and scoring 130 points. Just for reference, the last player to score 130 points in a season was Mario Lemiaux in 1995/96.

I know scoring is up this season but Rantanen is not as good as his current pace. And no, he is not right up there on skill level with McDavid.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The others pace is picking up, while his is slowing down? The closest McDavid has come to the lead in a long time is 7 points, which happens to be right now.

Rantanen has had a bit of a cold streak and is still comfortably ahead.

Kucherov had 5 points last night.

Mack takes the Ross, McDavid finishes 3rd.

That's a lie.

McDavid has been with-in 5 points a couple times in the past couple weeks. Either way, McDavid performs better as the season progresses and a 7 point gap (with 1 game in hand but 2 less played) is absolutely nothing.

2 points ahead after kucherov scores 5 points in a game? Context is important
McDavid had 1 point in his previous 2 games before last night. So yes, context is important. You keep having hissy fits about people misrepresenting Rantanen but you're doing the exact same thing with McDavid and others.

It's clear you haven't watched him much at all this season. He has not hit his stride yet and is capable of a lot more. Saying he's "playing as well as he ever has" is ridiculously erroneous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Future GOAT

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Imagine McDavid playing with another McDavid. He will end up scoring more by the end of the season anyway. I don't think the gap between them is as big as some might think, but it's clear enough.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Eichel has 18 multipoint games. I wonder how that stacks up with the rest of the league.

He’s heating up too, 8 out of his last 12 have been multipoint games.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Rantanen will definitely slow down. He's currently scoring at a higher PPG pace than Crosby did in his most offensively productive season. That's just not going to last.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
That's a lie.

McDavid has been with-in 5 points a couple times in the past couple weeks. Either way, McDavid performs better as the season progresses and a 7 point gap (with 1 game in hand but 2 less played) is absolutely nothing.

McDavid had 1 point in his previous 2 games before last night. So yes, context is important. You keep having hissy fits about people misrepresenting Rantanen but you're doing the exact same thing with McDavid and others.

It's clear you haven't watched him much at all this season. He has not hit his stride yet and is capable of a lot more. Saying he's "playing as well as he ever has" is ridiculously erroneous.
What? Show me a day where McDavid was only 5 points back. I'll wait.

When I said he was 2 points back, after a 5 point game, I was referring to Kucherov.

Rantanen has 1 point in his last 2 games and is up 7 on McDavid.

McDavid IS having his best season so far statistically.

If Rantanen gets passed, it probably won't be by McDavid. There are 2 guys ahead of McDavid and behind Rantanen, and both those players have been on McDavids level of production for the last 115 games.

Reactions: Jordan Belfort

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Rantanen will definitely slow down. He's currently scoring at a higher PPG pace than Crosby did in his most offensively productive season. That's just not going to last.
Most likely. I think the only question is by how much. I still think all 4 of them cross 110 points. Leader probably crosses 120.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He has, he tied him for a brief moment before the Oilers had a long break and the Avs were playing a couple games shortly after. You should know this though as I'm sure you're checking the point leaders list every day.
Apparently he tied Rantanen for a second before falling back 7-8 points. It's been so long since McDavid was even close, so I must have forgot.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

When I said he was 2 points back, after a 5 point game, I was referring to Kucherov.

If Rantanen gets passed, it probably won't be by McDavid. There are 2 guys ahead of McDavid and behind Rantanen, and both those players have been on McDavids level of production for the last 115 games.

After the Oilers-Avs contest that Edmonton won 6-4, Rantanen was up by 9 (thanks to a few garbage time points). McDavid put up 2 points against the Jets and 3 against the Flyers and narrowed it to 4 before Rantanen got one a little later and put it back to 5 at the end of the night.

And McDavid will pass Rantanen. You obviously don't want him to but your comments about McDavid are completely off-base. Read off the game logs all you want.... those that have watched McDavid know he played better last season than he has this season by a fair margin. He has another couple gears to get to and the fact that Rantanen's lead is pretty small after redlining for so long doesn't bode well for him.

And I know who you were referring to. Just watching the point leader list and judging other players based on that is a silly mistake. Kucherov has been on fire for a long time and based on pace, he's going to pass Rantanen shortly too, 5 point night aside.

Last edited:

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Most likely. I think the only question is by how much. I still think all 4 of them cross 110 points. Leader probably crosses 120.

Oh yeah, for sure. I don't think he'll slow down significantly, but some type of statistical regression is almost a certainty. Though I definitely see Rantanen finishing at least around the 110 point mark, barring injury.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

C'mon man. I can understand being frustrated with people underrating Rantanen and his chance at winning, but McDavid is still the best point producer in the league. He has as good chance at still winning it

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
After the Oilers-Avs contest that Edmonton won 6-4, Rantanen was up by 9 (thanks to a few garbage time points). McDavid put up 2 points against the Jets and 3 against the Flyers and narrowed it to 5 before Rantanen got one a little later and put it back to 6 at the end of the night.

And McDavid will pass Rantanen. You obviously don't want him to but your comments about McDavid are completely off-base. Read off the game logs all you want.... those that have watched McDavid know he played better last season than he has this season by a fair margin. He has another couple gears to get to and the fact that Rantanen's lead is pretty small after redlining for so long doesn't bode well for him.

Lol dude you're saying he got within 5 points mid game??? If McDavid is so good, why are you tracking stats by the hour? Haha

I mean show me a day where the games have ended, and McDavid is within 5. It's been a long time. 5-6 weeks I believe.

I honestly don't know who will win the Art Ross. I doubt Rantanen does, just because he has 3 monsters on his tail.

I certainly wouldn't assume McDavid is just going to win it because he's McDavid. MacKinnon and Kucherov are just as offensively potent as McDavid over the last year and a half.

Anyways it looks like it's going to be the best Art race is years.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
C'mon man. I can understand being frustrated with people underrating Rantanen and his chance at winning, but McDavid is still the best point producer in the league. He has as good chance at still winning it

I didn't say he didn't. I said there's there's 2 guys ahead of him who put up points at the same level.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Oh yeah, for sure. I don't think he'll slow down significantly, but some type of statistical regression is almost a certainty. Though I definitely see Rantanen finishing at least around the 110 point mark, barring injury.
Yeah for sure. 110 seems reasonable, but who knows. He's been really special this year. It'll be a good race.

Reactions: Incognito

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Lol dude you're saying he got within 5 points mid game??? If McDavid is so good, why are you tracking stats by the hour? Haha

I mean show me a day where the games have ended, and McDavid is within 5. It's been a long time. 5-6 weeks I believe.

I honestly don't know who will win the Art Ross. I doubt Rantanen does, just because he has 3 monsters on his tail.

I certainly wouldn't assume McDavid is just going to win it because he's McDavid. MacKinnon and Kucherov are just as offensively potent as McDavid over the last year and a half.

Anyways it looks like it's going to be the best Art race is years.
[mod]

9 points back after Edm-Col. That was on the 11th of December.

Oilers played @ WPG on the 13th and vs PHI on the 14th. McDavid had 5 points.

Colorado played St Louis on the 14th. Rantanen had 1 point.

9 minus 4 equals what?

Last edited by a moderator:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
[mod]

9 points back after Edm-Col. That was on the 11th of December.

Oilers played @ WPG on the 13th and vs PHI on the 14th. McDavid had 5 points.

Colorado played St Louis on the 14th. Rantanen had 1 point.

9 minus 4 equals what?
I'm too lazy to look it up so I'll just assume you're right.

For 1 day, McDavid was within 5 points of Rantanen.

And it took a 5 point night to get him there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm too lazy to look it up so I'll just assume you're right.

For 1 day, McDavid was within 5 points of Rantanen.

And it took a 5 point night to get him there.
I edited that original post while you responded, which may have led to your confusion.

It was over 2 games he put those 5 points up.

Regardless, it is going to be a horse race. But McDavid is not at much of a disadvantage. He was 10 behind Kucherov after the all-star break last season too... but at the same time, he's also going it alone and with a lot less help than the others have. So we will see. Either way, still think only 4 break 100 this year and it will be McDavid, Rantanen, MacKinnon and Kucherov in whatever order.

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
So you think Rantanen will get 130 points this season? Because that is his current pace. There is a difference between not being a chump and scoring 130 points. Just for reference, the last player to score 130 points in a season was Mario Lemiaux in 1995/96.

I know scoring is up this season but Rantanen is not as good as his current pace. And no, he is not right up there on skill level with McDavid.
I think he will honestly. No reason to say he won’t. Ratenen and Mack (one of them) should win the art ross as they are dynamic together.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Apparently he tied Rantanen for a second before falling back 7-8 points. It's been so long since McDavid was even close, so I must have forgot.
More likely you were just being hyperbolic, like this comment of yours I just quoted. Or you're not really paying attention and should "check your numbers" before posting.

Reactions: snipes

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think it will either be Rantanen, McDavid or MacKinnon winning the Art Ross.

Between those three, my money is on McDavid.

Reactions: snipes

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017

Agreed. One of those three and possibly Kucherov, most likely McDavid though.

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
After the Oilers-Avs contest that Edmonton won 6-4, Rantanen was up by 9 (thanks to a few garbage time points). McDavid put up 2 points against the Jets and 3 against the Flyers and narrowed it to 4 before Rantanen got one a little later and put it back to 5 at the end of the night.

And I know who you were referring to. Just watching the point leader list and judging other players based on that is a silly mistake. Kucherov has been on fire for a long time and based on pace, he's going to pass Rantanen shortly too, 5 point night aside.
You keep ignoring the face that for the past 115 games they have been on the same level of production. Mcdavid is not some god that will magically win no matter what. There are other good players in this league who can outproduce him.

Reactions: AvsFan29

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

That's where my money would be too.

One of the more interesting questions for me, is can a Jets player sneak into the top 5 and which current player would drop out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad