Art Ross: McDavid or the field?

Who?

• Total voters

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Many of us who have been watching him in preseason feel he can score well over 120pts. He looks faster, stronger, and all around better.

I personally think he hits 150pts in an 82 game season. Maybe even flirts with 160. So, I'll take McDavid.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Many of us who have been watching him in preseason feel he can score well over 120pts. He looks faster, stronger, and all around better.

I personally think he hits 150pts in an 82 game season. Maybe even flirts with 160. So, I'll take McDavid.

I can see 130-135 if everything (powerplay included) goes perfectly for him. 150-160 would be astonishing. He's going to have a lot of 2 and 3 point games, but he's also going to have some 0-1 point games where the opposition does well to frustrate him.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right, because if Connor put up a full 2ppg season, the Oilers couldn't possibly miss the playoffs.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I can see 130-135 if everything (powerplay included) goes perfectly for him. 150-160 would be astonishing. He's going to have a lot of 2 and 3 point games, but he's also going to have some 0-1 point games where the opposition does well to frustrate him.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right, because if Connor put up a full 2ppg season, the Oilers couldn't possibly miss the playoffs.
Well, and I just hate being that guy to extrapolate from the post-season, but that usually refers to team success and less-so to individual performance. I'd say 150-160 is his ceiling right now as far as I can tell. 130-135 is still an optimistic prediction.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Well, and I just hate being that guy to extrapolate from the post-season, but that usually refers to team success and less-so to individual performance. I'd say 150-160 is his ceiling right now as far as I can tell. 130-135 is still an optimistic prediction.
Mcdavid will never score 160 points. Only two players in history have done so and that’s Lemieux and Gretzky...

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Mcdavid will never score 160 points. Only two players in history have done so and that’s Lemieux and Gretzky...
To be fair it's easy to get carried away when projecting someone so young and already so good. Many on this board were predicting 160-180 for Crosby at his peak after his 120 point 19 year old season.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Really though? I mean, I sure hope so, but faster than he was before, and 2 points per game over a full season? I would be shocked if he went over 125 to be honest. I could see him being faster actually but there has to be a limit you would think, lol.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Really though? I mean, I sure hope so, but faster than he was before, and 2 points per game over a full season? I would be shocked if he went over 125 to be honest. I could see him being faster actually but there has to be a limit you would think, lol.

There would be nothing shocking about McDavid hitting 125 points.

He was 17 shy of that last season in which little went right. Give him a month free from sickness and a decent PP and that gap is nothing to a player of his caliber as anybody who watches him night in and night out can attest to.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
As good as McDavid is his first art Ross he barely and I mean barely beat a past his prime Crosby. Crosby malkin and kucherov are still prime candidates

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean, it's just a prediction. At the end of the day all we can do is sit back and watch. Some of us will say "I told you so", some of us won't. Who cares? In the end, he's a treat to watch regardless of how many points he puts up at the end of the day

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
There would be nothing shocking about McDavid hitting 125 points.

He was 17 shy of that last season in which little went right. Give him a month free from sickness and a decent PP and that gap is nothing to a player of his caliber as anybody who watches him night in and night out can attest to.

I think you underestimate how hard it would be to top that in the NHL today, even if scoring doesn't go back to the way it was before last season. I think 120-125 would be his ceiling and there wouldn't be a darn thing wrong with that. Like I said, I hope he's capable of even more because that would be something else to witness.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
McDavid. If he plays 75+ games I would take him over the field.

Last year McDavid scored 96 points in his first 75 games. Which would have put him 5th. Actually behind Mackinnon who played just 74 games. There are lots of guys in the NHL that could flirt with 100 points and all it takes is a little injury and a little bit of bad luck and McDavid doesnt hit it. I mean look at Crosby guy was 19 and scored 120 points. Has only led the NHL in points just once in the next 11 seasons. McDavid at 21 could very well have had his highest point totals he will ever get.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Last year McDavid scored 96 points in his first 75 games. Which would have put him 5th. Actually behind Mackinnon who played just 74 games. There are lots of guys in the NHL that could flirt with 100 points and all it takes is a little injury and a little bit of bad luck and McDavid doesnt hit it. I mean look at Crosby guy was 19 and scored 120 points. Has only led the NHL in points just once in the next 11 seasons. McDavid at 21 could very well have had his highest point totals he will ever get.

He was sick for over a month last year, and his point totals that month reflected it. By all accounts he looks even better this year and so does the team around him. I would personally bet money on him leading in points again if I knew he was going to be healthy.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I’ve always been of the opinion that people have written Crosby off too quickly in their excitement to annoint McDavid the new “best player in the world.”

Crosby still holds that title in my opinion and he has just as good of a shot to win the Art Ross this year, not to mention all of the other strong contenders like Kucherov.

I’ll take the field on this one.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby is fresh off a 21 point in 12 game playoff. The only time Mcdavid was in the playoffs (16-17) he scored 9 points in 13 games. That same playoff Crosby was named MVP scoring 27 points in 24 games.

I’d like to see Mcdavid have a dominant playoff...

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Crosby is fresh off a 21 point in 12 game playoff. The only time Mcdavid was in the playoffs (16-17) he scored 9 points in 13 games. That same playoff Crosby was named MVP scoring 27 points in 24 games.

I’d like to see Mcdavid have a dominant playoff...

I'm sure he will have a dominant playoff in-time - to look at his one rookie playoff season run and make any conclusions seems wrong. I think McDavid is also a guarantee for a very high point output this season, likely to blow past his personal high.

I think the x-factor here remains Crosby. He can clearly still play at top level (in fact if instead of an 82 game season you were picking 1 player for a 10 game tournament, or a playoff run - i guarantee it's at the very least 50/50 between the 2, if not more still picking Crosby today).

The 2 big questions for Crosby are:

- Can he still do it over a full season? (he's older, not as fast, can he maintain a high enough pace all year long).

- *Will* he even try to? Looking at his play you could make an observation he's been saving himself for playoffs past few seasons, and tends to coast a bit during the season. Whether he does it on purpose, or it's just a lack of consistency in his play is anyone's guess.

I'm hoping Crosby comes into this year with a chip on his shoulder, upset at the elimination last year (despite his fantastic individual numbers) and tries to have a great year. He's still my #1 pick for the Art Ross this year - and hence I voted the field.

Reactions: Ageless

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I’ve always been of the opinion that people have written Crosby off too quickly in their excitement to annoint McDavid the new “best player in the world.”

Crosby still holds that title in my opinion and he has just as good of a shot to win the Art Ross this year, not to mention all of the other strong contenders like Kucherov.

I’ll take the field on this one.

Agreed. I like Crosby at #1.

I mean if i was making vegas betting odds I of course have McDavid #1 as he's earned the title of favorite (not above the field tho - not worthy of that high odds) - but I personally expect to see Crosby win it this year.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
McDavid for me, but after that it's wiiiiiide open. I can see any one of Crosby, Malkin, MacKinnon, Kucherov or even Hall finishing second. Another group that could finish second includes Scheifele, Stamkos, Giroux, Segquin, Benn, Wheeler... you get my point. McDavid will win by about 10 points, but after that there will be a dozen players pretty much clumped together.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The problem with that is to put up those numbers, especially today, requires elite teammates as well to both feed McDavid the puck and more importantly to capitalize on his passes. You sure Edmonton has the horses to do that?

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
McDavid is the only answer for the next 15 years.
tumblr_nrtoy27Aa71u8owaeo1_500.gif

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Agreed. I like Crosby at #1.

I mean if i was making vegas betting odds I of course have McDavid #1 as he's earned the title of favorite (not above the field tho - not worthy of that high odds) - but I personally expect to see Crosby win it this year.
I’m hoping Crosby wins it again. But at 31 years old and Mcdavid being 22 it will be very hard. I will be happy with another top 3 scoring finish and hart finalist position

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Almost most always take the field in these scenarios, and continue to do so.

McDavid relative to his peers is much closer to Crosby to his peers in his prime, and not Gretzky to his peers. McDavid is clearly, and decisively the best, but the gap isn't that extreme. On a year-to-year basis, there are more than a few that can out-produce McDavid.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I remember last year after his first game of 4 goals people said McDavid would DEF score 100+. I agree people exaggerate way too much.

He's the favorite - and there's a good bet he'll be the art ross favorite every season for the next few years. Doesn't mean he'll win every year. I mean I believe Crosby was the favorite for the art ross the majority of seasons he played in - except for maybe 2-4 at most - and he's only won 2. McDavid likely wins more than 2 but it likely won't be anywhere near as many as some people believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad