OT: Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Lol so the VGK are trying to now move Patches? I'd love for the Pens to get him...

Riikola + Sceviour + McCann for Pacioretty is an ok wash (around 5~ mill) on the cap for what the VGK would save.

Imagine...

Guentzel, Crosby, Kapanen
Pacioretty, Malkin, Rust
Zucker, Blueger, Tanev
Rodrigues, Jankowski, Lafferty
I can't imagine this would be the best package for Patches if he's actually being shopped. But I'd take him if that was enough.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I can't imagine this would be the best package for Patches if he's actually being shopped. But I'd take him if that was enough.
Look at what they took for Nate Schmidt, it’s about the contract and cap hit as well as the expansion, we lose nothing that hurts us and if we lose Zucker or Patches, eh....

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yep, would be fun for the 15 months before they trade you.

Just when you thought 2020 couldn't possibly add any more fun surprises, bam...MAF back on the trade block.

I feel for the guy, it’s been a rough year for him with his personal loss and then to be jobbed by his team that hard after they basically clout whored him out to the dipshits in Vegas.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Wow finally the NHL and owners realize what I've wanted for years...

Mlb style homestand games.

Hasn't there been a group of players including Toews that have been lobbying for that style schedule for years to reduce the league's carbon footprint?

My hesitation is that it's going to suck when inevitably the annual few weeks that our roster is absolutely decimated by injuries (No Sid, No Geno, etc) we're going to have 12 matchups with major playoff implications.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Listen... just pull the bandaid off quickly. It's inevitable. Just do it and let people complain. Revenue continues. Owners/players like it. It sadly grows the game.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Listen... just pull the bandaid off quickly. It's inevitable. Just do it and let people complain. Revenue continues. Owners/players like it. It sadly grows the game.

Not really a development I'm stoked about but it makes sense in these times.

Problem is if/when things get back to normal and revenue streams are full speed ahead (I'm smashing X for doubt on this one but I'm a pessimist) the owners aren't gonna want to give up that cash and we'll be stuck with it.

I don't even collect jerseys so I'm not traditionalist or anything but advertising on your team colors just seems a little... wrong. And more than a bit desperate. That shit isn't happening in the other major sports here in the US. Would be yet another reminder that NHL a second-tier league in comparison.

Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hasn't there been a group of players including Toews that have been lobbying for that style schedule for years to reduce the league's carbon footprint?

My hesitation is that it's going to suck when inevitably the annual few weeks that our roster is absolutely decimated by injuries (No Sid, No Geno, etc) we're going to have 12 matchups with major playoff implications.
Maybe? I've been wanting that since the 80s. It's just stupid to have random home and homes series. I think this builds some fun rivalries.

Also Toews is a pos.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It’s not April fools

I mean...the pandemic opened the door to this with the epic loses in revenue. They've always tried to get this passed and now they probably will. Everyone gets even richer while crying they didn't make as many millions as before while still making millions.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not really a development I'm stoked about but it makes sense in these times.

Problem is if/when things get back to normal and revenue streams are full speed ahead (I'm smashing X for doubt on this one but I'm a pessimist) the owners aren't gonna want to give up that cash and we'll be stuck with it.

I don't even collect jerseys so I'm not traditionalist or anything but advertising on your team colors just seems a little... wrong. And more than a bit desperate. That shit isn't happening in the other major sports here in the US. Would be yet another reminder that NHL a second-tier league in comparison.

Exactly how I feel. Exactly how I feel. It sucks. It's inevitable. Shit doesn't bother me... I remember watching soccer and seeing ads as the jersey and it never made me think differently. A team is a team. A city is a city.

NHL needs revenue for us to love the game at the high level it is. I think anyone who went through the lockouts as a big fan or even playing at that time knows how dark hockey was. So it's a sacrifice i'll take.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Very torn on this. On one hand it keeps the players safe. On the other, man... they’re also the ones that need it least at the moment.

Let’s just absorb this for a second...

NFL didn’t do this.
MLB didn’t do this.
NBA didn’t do this...

But the NHL? Really? Skip the line to do this? Lol.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Let’s just absorb this for a second...

NFL didn’t do this.
MLB didn’t do this.
NBA didn’t do this...

But the NHL? Really? Skip the line to do this? Lol.

NFL couldn’t up to now. We don’t know about NBA and MLB has a few months before it’s even a concern. Don’t write it off yet, however...

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Very torn on this. On one hand it keeps the players safe. On the other, man... they’re also the ones that need it least at the moment.

A private company has every right to sell there product to whomever they want. Pharmaceutical companies are no different. This isnt teams jumping the que on a publicly funded vaccination effort like with H1n1. Pfizer-BioNTech was a complete privately funded creation. Im guessing the NHL had numerous production contracts with different companies. People can be upset about the morality of it, but theres nothing ethically wrong. Its a prime example of free market economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce