OT: Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
The TSN article would have you believe Murray was a godsend and that Jarry and his stats this past season, didn't exist, or that if they did, it's because Jarry had an entirely different team in front of him.

Are you talking about this article from yesterday? It literally calls the Murray deal low-risk, moderate reward and only mentions Jarry to say that Murray lost the starter job to him. The article does mention Lundqvist and Price ... but only to say that they improved their performance throughout their twenties, and Murray might do that too, or might not. It's extremely even-handed.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Are you talking about this article from yesterday? It literally calls the Murray deal low-risk, moderate reward and only mentions Jarry to say that Murray lost the starter job to him. The article does mention Lundqvist and Price ... but only to say that they improved their performance throughout their twenties, and Murray might do that too, or might not. It's extremely even-handed.
Odd that those same outlets weren't as positive about the narrow headed wanker when he was a Penguin.

It's like Flames fans and media outlets probably making Simon look like a legit top 6 bloke because he was with Sid a lot.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Odd that those same outlets weren't as positive about the narrow headed wanker when he was a Penguin.

It's like Flames fans and media outlets probably making Simon look like a legit top 6 bloke because he was with Sid a lot.

So are you saying they might Pegg, Simon

simon-pegg-thumb.jpg

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Mitchell Miller, Aliu/Peters, Washington Redskins, and the Don Cherry threads on this message board never ceases to amaze me in the obtuse and ignorance that extends beyond obsessive fandom that borders on idiocy.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
The Mitchell Miller, Aliu/Peters, Washington Redskins, and the Don Cherry threads on this message board never ceases to amaze me in the obtuse and ignorance that extends beyond obsessive fandom that borders on idiocy.

There’s some really good posters on the main boards but some topics just go off the rails with some really warped opinions. Stay here where it’s safe

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
This is sorta cool. I am a fan of that. I just like the NHL is thinking outside the box. There is NOTHING wrong with thinking outside the box. At least talk about it.

Yeah they’re gonna need plans and back ups after back ups because they dont know what will happen. Basically the only thing guaranteed is that hockey in Canada will only be Canadian teams or it has to be a hub like the playoffs.

Reactions: EightyOne

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

Not surprising. They're the same fanbase that talked themselves into thinking Brian Elliott and Mike Smith are good goalies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Also, I like the idea of teams playing 2-3 games in a row against each other. Certain teams would spark some rivalries while not traveling as much.

I always liked Baseball format of the home & home series to get the games between two teams out of the way.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is sorta cool. I am a fan of that. I just like the NHL is thinking outside the box. There is NOTHING wrong with thinking outside the box. At least talk about it.

TBH, I think it would be cool if they kept that format in terms of three game series with the same team. Would be rad to see the Penguins come out West and do a nine game swing and I think it'd help avoid injuries and start allowing for NBA type resting in the regular season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
TBH, I think it would be cool if they kept that format in terms of three game series with the same team. Would be rad to see the Penguins come out West and do a nine game swing and I think it'd help avoid injuries and start allowing for NBA type resting in the regular season.
I think the NHL needs to allow a bigger roster limit as well, perhaps. Not quite sure how that works with teams that might not want to pay even more for NHL contracts and what not, but if we have those games where players will rest, you'll need to fill them and that creates another issue, are you pulling from the WBS for that? Will they need to isolate for a week after a test? By then, what's even the point?

IF you do what the NFL does, like keep a group of black aces up sort of thing, maybe, but that also kind of messes with players and their bonuses, development, etc.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think the NHL needs to allow a bigger roster limit as well, perhaps. Not quite sure how that works with teams that might not want to pay even more for NHL contracts and what not, but if we have those games where players will rest, you'll need to fill them and that creates another issue, are you pulling from the WBS for that? Will they need to isolate for a week after a test? By then, what's even the point?

IF you do what the NFL does, like keep a group of black aces up sort of thing, maybe, but that also kind of messes with players and their bonuses, development, etc.

I agree. I like the idea of you being able to sub a player in game as well.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, I mean the NHL has to take a look at the leagues that actually operated and are operating under the pandmic rather than the weird playoffs we just witnesses a few months ago.

They have to look at the shortened season the MLB just had as well as how they operated with playing outside of the bubble the NHL tired out.
The NFL and their roster situations etc.

It can work, but they have to be smart about it, also the fans thing, that's a slippery slope I think but I am sure it can be worked out in some way.

But there is no way the normal roster size is going to be acceptable. They're going to have to allow at least 3-4 more forwards and 3-4 more defensemen as well as possibly even a 3rd goalie.

Think about the way the NFL has tested positive - You get Sid testing positive and find out Guentzel and Kapanen are also sick, you then what, reschedule the game? Make the team play with 9 forwards? There has to be a "black aces" squad for each team.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD

Each team would have their 7th defenseman at the ready for those times when a member of the main D core takes a hit or blocks a shot that has them out of the game and normally forcing the team to run 5 guys instead of 6 and double shifting someone

It'd be kinda cool tho

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
What other sport does this though?

None as far as I know. One of the reasons I love hockey is line changes in the middle of play. I don't know of any sport that changes personnel as the games moves and the clock ticks. Makes for a really fast paced and exciting game. Your suggestion would make it even moreso imo and I dig it.

Also to piggyback what I said earlier on 7th defenseman at the ready. Assuming a team could only sub in one player, whether it be to replace a Dman or Oman we could see players try and imitate Federov in that they could sub in anywhere. Thus creating a designated player that could play both

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
What other sport does this though?

Aussie Rules has 18 on the field and rotate with 4 on the bench. If you get an injury then you just have 3 available on the bench to rotate. There is a cap on rotations but its 90 per game.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Aussie Rules has 18 on the field and rotate with 4 on the bench. If you get an injury then you just have 3 available on the bench to rotate. There is a cap on rotations but its 90 per game.

Id be fine if where 'soccer' style. Where you get 4 extra players or so, but once you get pulled from a game, you can't go back in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille