Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This thread is active always, I'm going to unsticky it.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Colorado Avalanche: Jacob MacDonald, Daniel Renouf, Kyle Burroughs, Michael Vecchione, Thomas Tynan, Miikka Salomaki, Jayson Megna, Sheldon Dries
Toronto Maple Leafs: Nicolas Petan
Carolina Hurricanes: Antoine Bibeau, Steven Lorentz, Spencer Smallman, Jeremy Bracco, Gustav Forsling, Drew Shore, Max McCormick
Anaheim Ducks: Anthony Stolarz, Andy Welinski, Christian Djoos, Andrew Poturalski, Chase De Leo, Vinni Lettieri, Sam Carrick, Andrew Agozzino, David Backes

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just making it official...

The Manitoba government said Friday it will allow the Winnipeg Jets to play home games during the COVID-19 pandemic, joining Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia in giving the NHL's plan to resume action north of the border this season the thumbs up.
Manitoba announced a minor modification to current public health orders, allowing professional hockey games to be played.

Reactions: Jets 31

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Jets best top 6 and best goalie in the North Division!!

Wild card
Heinola
Samberg
Vesalainen
Niku

If they adapt, that is some depth there for the Jets!!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You are assuming that Chevy is always the best horse trader in the room. What evidence do you have to support that?

What we know - He paid 6.5 mil + + for a fading, 35 year old centre who was good here, briefly, 2 years ago.

A lot of people here seem to be expecting him to be the same player he was 2 years ago. If that is their expectation, I think a lot of people are going to be very disappointed.
I also think a lot of people exaggerate decline. You simply cannot apply a generic formula to it. Some players train and take care of themselves much better. Some players have better genetics.

The difference between a 33 year old and 35 year old Stasny is probably negligable, but the proof will be in the pudding. I mean we could say that Laine is in severe decline based off of his play in 17 - 18 and since, but that would be ridiculous :)

At any age, if you are performing a skill/ job at the highest level, it needs constant practice and training to maintain/ improve - no matter what the age. Who knows? Maybe Stasny will be even better than the edition we had 2 years ago - I'd like to watch him play first before I sign off on some age decline.

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I also think a lot of people exaggerate decline. You simply cannot apply a generic formula to it. Some players train and take care of themselves much better. Some players have better genetics.

The difference between a 33 year old and 35 year old Stasny is probably negligable, but the proof will be in the pudding. I mean we could say that Laine is in severe decline based off of his play in 17 - 18 and since, but that would be ridiculous :)

At any age, if you are performing a skill/ job at the highest level, it needs constant practice and training to maintain/ improve - no matter what the age. Who knows? Maybe Stasny will be even better than the edition we had 2 years ago - I'd like to watch him play first before I sign off on some age decline.

By all appearances Stastny declined last year. When a player has a down year at 29 or 30, it is just an off year and you hope for a bounce back. When a player has a down year at 34, you have to suspect the beginning of aging out. Some players fall off a cliff. Others decline gradually. Will Stastny be as good this year as he was 3 years ago, when we had him before? Highly unlikely. Will he be as good as he was 2 years ago, his first with VGK? I'd say, not a chance. Will he be as good as he was last year with VGK? I hope so. He was on a 44 pt pace. Maybe with finishers like Laine and Connor he can put up 50 or even 55 (pace).

I think we need to ask ourselves why we got Stastny? Was it to try to be legitimate contenders? Is that realistic with our D corps? If not that, then what? Was it to try and get more out of Laine in order to make him happy and decide to stay? Or get more out of him to pump up his trade value? If either of those Laine related reasons, we sure as hell should not be putting Connor on the other wing to siphon away goals from Laine at the same time as reducing the line's playmaking and zone entry potentials. Fewer scoring opportunities and having to share them with Connor is not a recipe for a happy or more valuable Laine.

The Stastny acquisition may accomplish nothing other than a weaker draft next year.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
By all appearances Stastny declined last year. When a player has a down year at 29 or 30, it is just an off year and you hope for a bounce back. When a player has a down year at 34, you have to suspect the beginning of aging out. Some players fall off a cliff. Others decline gradually. Will Stastny be as good this year as he was 3 years ago, when we had him before? Highly unlikely. Will he be as good as he was 2 years ago, his first with VGK? I'd say, not a chance. Will he be as good as he was last year with VGK? I hope so. He was on a 44 pt pace. Maybe with finishers like Laine and Connor he can put up 50 or even 55 (pace).

I think we need to ask ourselves why we got Stastny? Was it to try to be legitimate contenders? Is that realistic with our D corps? If not that, then what? Was it to try and get more out of Laine in order to make him happy and decide to stay? Or get more out of him to pump up his trade value? If either of those Laine related reasons, we sure as hell should not be putting Connor on the other wing to siphon away goals from Laine at the same time as reducing the line's playmaking and zone entry potentials. Fewer scoring opportunities and having to share them with Connor is not a recipe for a happy or more valuable Laine.

The Stastny acquisition may accomplish nothing other than a weaker draft next year.

It was to be more competitive and a stop gap for a year, plus he's done well here before so there's familiarity in a shorter season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Tank thread alert ha...

uhuhuhh, not yet. :laugh:

I expect better D pairings than in TC, therefore better D than last year. I'm still hopeful that Samberg pushes his way in before too many games are played. Therefore, better D than in the first couple of games.

I am hopeful, if not optimistic, that Stastny still has a dying burst of high quality play in him and that Laine has come to camp ready to prove he is the next Ovi, starting Jan 14/21.

I am hopeful that Helle says, "you ain't seen nothin' yet" and outdoes himself winning B2B Vezinas.

Parade just as the Covid restrictions are finally lifted. :hockey::stanley: :golfnana:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It was to be more competitive and a stop gap for a year, plus he's done well here before so there's familiarity in a shorter season.

I hope you are wrong. Because that is useless by itself, IMO.

That 6.5 mil cap hit could have been bundled with Laine and Roslovic, plus anything else necessary to get the real, long term improvements we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad