Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No it’s not I think things like this happen all the time in sports.. I was just throwing it out there this time to get opinions. I do beleive buff didn’t want to put his health on the line to head up a AHL defence though

Buff was offered a trade if he didn't want to head up that AHL defence.

Toews could almost certainly have had the same option, if he doesn't want to play for the Hawks as they are.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I would think any of the above conditions you listed would be made public.

Most teams/players have disclosed these conditions in the past, especially when a player takes a year off or retires.

Lundqvist comes to mind.

But you’re right it could be anything, and everyones different when it comes to privacy. Wish him well, but secrecy always raises questions whether warranted or not. Curiosity is human nature.

The obvious one would be that JT is a Covid long-hauler and there are pretty obvious league-wide ramifications for the restart regarding risk for publicizing that. Now you'd think the PA would have some regard for health but there are a lot of livlihoods and billions at stake.

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
The obvious one would be that JT is a Covid long-hauler and there are pretty obvious league-wide ramifications for the restart regarding risk for publicizing that. Now you'd think the PA would have some regard for health but there are a lot of livlihoods and billions at stake.
?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
So

The Leafs are going to win North Canadian Division.

Via Toronto sportsnet
i mean...they're pretty loaded up front. i have questions about roles/chemistry (like, Jumbo Joe on the first line? not so sure...) and their D, while improved, is still a question mark, as is their goaltending.

name a team better than Toronto. maybe Calgary?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was worried it was the c word!

That would really suck. He may be a division rival but he is a Winnipeg kid that has been through the hockey wars for team and country and has won cups and medals playing the right way.

for now I will just keep positive thoughts and hope for the best of the options that might not be great.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
i mean...they're pretty loaded up front. i have questions about roles/chemistry (like, Jumbo Joe on the first line? not so sure...) and their D, while improved, is still a question mark, as is their goaltending.

name a team better than Toronto. maybe Calgary?
Will be extra special to watch them get knocked out in the first round again :nod:

Reactions: HannuJ

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
NHL sold all the divisions...

cut.jpg

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
NHL sold all the divisions...

cut.jpg

I am totally fine if they have to go full Nascar this year to preserve the league. Sell the Stanley Cup (no don't!). The only downside is that I don't see a future where the league removes sources of revenue, meaning once the ads are on the jerseys/helmets/coaches' masks they aren't going away. But hockey > fashion.

I would have had a cow last year, though. Again once it starts it's here to stay, but the situation warrants it.

Reactions: buggs and cbcwpg

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I am totally fine if they have to go full Nascar this year to preserve the league. Sell the Stanley Cup (no don't!). The only downside is that I don't see a future where the league removes sources of revenue, meaning once the ads are on the jerseys/helmets/coaches' masks they aren't going away. But hockey > fashion.

I would have had a cow last year, though. Again once it starts it's here to stay, but the situation warrants it.

That's one of the things that bug me about this. We keep hearing that these revenue sources are one-offs because of covid, but you have to seriously be out of touch with reality to think the NHL will ever remove a source of revenue. Once the ads are here, they are here forever.

The other thing I laugh at is... I've read articles and see comments where people actually believe these extra sources of revenues are a good thing so that ticket prices don't have to increase once fans come back. :laugh: As if.

Reactions: JetsUK

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
First it was signage on the boards, then ads on the ice, now logo's on the helmut's soon a patch or two, down the road euro jerseys, it's all about making money

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
That's one of the things that bug me about this. We keep hearing that these revenue sources are one-offs because of covid, but you have to seriously be out of touch with reality to think the NHL will ever remove a source of revenue. Once the ads are here, they are here forever.

The other thing I laugh at is... I've read articles and see comments where people actually believe these extra sources of revenues are a good thing so that ticket prices don't have to increase once fans come back. :laugh: As if.

Completely delusional mindset if they actually believe that. As per TNSE's announcement of how they're handling contracts/renewals I was utterly shocked (and pleasantly surprised) to see they aren't completely tone deaf regarding their STH's possible income impacts as well. But make no mistake, once the league is up and running with full attendance again (whenever that may be) I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the annual increase go to 6% instead of 5% (versus the former 3%). And yes, the ads will stay. The only real question is how those sponsors will divide it up going forward assuming a return to old divisional alignments.

Reactions: cbcwpg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad