Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
The Toews situation is interesting for 3 reasons.

1) Its health related.
2) He’s fatigued to the point where he’s unable to play after an offseason.
3) No details regarding physical injury or medical condition.

The fact that the team isn't disclosing a specific diagnosis is not out of the norm and is actually common practice.

But the above set of premises can lead one to the wildest speculations/ conclusions.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The Toews situation is interesting for 3 reasons.

1) Its health related.
2) He’s fatigued to the point where he’s unable to play after an offseason.
3) No details regarding physical injury or medical condition.

The fact that the team isn't disclosing a specific diagnosis is not out of the norm and is actually common practice.

But the above set of premises can lead one to the wildest speculations/ conclusions.
Yup. Anything from Mono to Lyme to some sort of cancer to a bunch of less common but equally debilitating conditions.

Hopefully he fully recovers to a point where at least he can regain normal life, let alone resume his playing career.

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
Yup. Anything from Mono to Lyme to some sort of cancer to a bunch of less common but equally debilitating conditions.

Hopefully he fully recovers to a point where at least he can regain normal life, let alone resume his playing career.

I would think any of the above conditions you listed would be made public.

Most teams/players have disclosed these conditions in the past, especially when a player takes a year off or retires.

Lundqvist comes to mind.

But you’re right it could be anything, and everyones different when it comes to privacy. Wish him well, but secrecy always raises questions whether warranted or not. Curiosity is human nature.

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
He may be having a bout of depression.
Whatever it may be, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Ya you’re right. I think we all learned from the deplorable press Buffs situation received that there is no real point to speculating and that best wishes are about as much as a fan following can do for a beloved local player like Toews. I’ll lay off the subject until the natural laws of time unveils all.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Ya you’re right. I think we all learned from the deplorable press Buffs situation received that there is no real point to speculating and that best wishes are about as much as a fan following can do for a beloved local player like Toews. I’ll lay off the subject until the natural laws of time unveils all.

With Toews' character, I have zero reason to believe that there's anything feigned or exaggerated or lied about here. Happy to take the claim at face value and like you said, we'll find out when we find out.

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
With Toews' character, I have zero reason to believe that there's anything feigned or exaggerated or lied about here. Happy to take the claim at face value and like you said, we'll find out when we find out.
I agree, Toews character speaks for itself and therefore taking a year off shouldn't necessarily be an admission of / or insinuate any “nefarious”or “conspiratorial” activity.

But, the teams response to the matter is questionable/ almost suspect (imo).

There is nothing to go off of in terms of accepting the face value of an explanation.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I will be interested to see who has a more productive season between Stastney and Stephan. I was always a fan of him with NYR and before we acquired Paul, he would have been on my wish list, Although it sounds like he’s tailed off. Both players looking to bounce back.

Stepan is 5 years younger. That makes him a lot more likely to rebound than Stastny is.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Chevy used their cap space to get a good 2C at a very low price. I don't see anything wrong with that. If he could have paid less, he would have.

You are assuming that Chevy is always the best horse trader in the room. What evidence do you have to support that?

What we know - He paid 6.5 mil + + for a fading, 35 year old centre who was good here, briefly, 2 years ago.

A lot of people here seem to be expecting him to be the same player he was 2 years ago. If that is their expectation, I think a lot of people are going to be very disappointed.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Add to that Stastny also has a proven track record with Ehlers and Laine. But for me all this complaining we could have gotten more misses the point that Stastny carries residual value greater than his initial value. The Jets traded a 4th for him. At the TD he will be worth more than a 4th. If the Jets have fallen out of contention they could likely move him for a 1st and maybe a pick. If Jets are in contention they have their #2 center so there is no need to use a higher pick or and/or prospect to upgrade that position.

You make a good point here but there is a flaw. In a 56 game season, Jets could still appear to be in contention at the TD and still easily finish 6th. How many points behind a PO spot will still appear to be in contention at the TD? I think we will have a very close race for the last PO spot in the Canadian Div. 3 - 6 could finish only a very few points apart.

The debate about the trade price is not about the value we got for the price. It is about what bargaining strength we had due to circumstances. We will never be able to prove, one way or another, what better deal may have been there, or not.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Is there a chance it’s fabricated because he doesn’t like the direction of the team as he stated before ?

I know this is phrased as a question and not an outright statement, but this would be an awful opinion to have about any pro athlete.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I know this is phrased as a question and not an outright statement, but this would be an awful opinion to have about any pro athlete.

The fabricated an illness with hossa to circumvent the cap. And did a bunch of illigal trades with Atlanta. It wouldn’t be so much about the player more the organization

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
When a team is in cap trouble and one of their biggest contracts goes on LTIR it makes me question the truth behind that move. The motive is there. This happened recently with Toews, Steen and Kucherov. Their teams will miss them on the ice while they're out but the teams might have avoided some really painful trades as a result.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The fabricated an illness with hossa to circumvent the cap. And did a bunch of illigal trades with Atlanta. It wouldn’t be so much about the player more the organization

By all accounts its not fabricated, and in this case, you've suggested the player is lying about an illness to not play this season because he doesn't like the way the team is going, not that the team is making it up to get out of cap trouble. Two very different issues and nothing to do with the organization.

Though I know you've suggested the same about Byfuglien so I guess it would be easier for you to believe this.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
By all accounts its not fabricated, and in this case, you've suggested the player is lying about an illness to not play this season because he doesn't like the way the team is going, not that the team is making it up to get out of cap trouble. Two very different issues and nothing to do with the organization.

Though I know you've suggested the same about Byfuglien so I guess it would be easier for you to believe this.

No it’s not I think things like this happen all the time in sports.. I was just throwing it out there this time to get opinions. I do beleive buff didn’t want to put his health on the line to head up a AHL defence though

Reactions: lanky

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
No it’s not I think things like this happen all the time in sports.. I was just throwing it out there this time to get opinions. I do beleive buff didn’t want to put his health on the line to head up a AHL defence though
i think your understanding of professional athletes is...not good. let's just leave it there so we don't have to hear these silly conspiracy theories on here because, honestly, it's pretty gross.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You are assuming that Chevy is always the best horse trader in the room. What evidence do you have to support that?

What we know - He paid 6.5 mil + + for a fading, 35 year old centre who was good here, briefly, 2 years ago.

A lot of people here seem to be expecting him to be the same player he was 2 years ago. If that is their expectation, I think a lot of people are going to be very disappointed.

my expectations aren’t that he is the same player. My expectations are that he is a solid 2nd line center.

I think Stastny was a very good addition because as we have seen chemistry with Laine is far from a given and at least Paul has proven their styles match well. I am expecting some regression from where Paul was at but I am hoping this is more than offset by the growth of Ehlers and a Laine.

I am hoping they all remain healthy enough for us to find out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
my expectations aren’t that he is the same player. My expectations are that he is a solid 2nd line center.

I think Stastny was a very good addition because as we have seen chemistry with Laine is far from a given and at least Paul has proven their styles match well. I am expecting some regression from where Paul was at but I am hoping this is more than offset by the growth of Ehlers and a Laine.

I am hoping they all remain healthy enough for us to find out.

I'm hoping that Stastny has 1 more good year in him. I won't be surprised if he does and I won't be surprised if he doesn't.

Last year - 44 pt, 20 G pace
2019 season - 69 pt, 21 G pace
2018 - 53 pts, 16 goals - 56 pt, 17 G pace with Jets
That 2019 season was a bit of an outlier. He only played 50 games. I'm not sure but I think he played those 50 games with 1C minutes. Whatever, he was hot on a strong team. If he had maintained that for 82 games it would have been his best season since 2010 with Colorado. I think last year was the beginning of real decline.

It remains to be seen if he will be able to produce at that rate for another year or not. It is possible that he exceeds that playing with Laine and Ehlers. If that turns out to be the case, I would be interested in signing him to another contract. Take it 1 year at a time though. It is also possible that he isn't able to match that 44 pt pace, even with strong wingers. We just have to wait and see.

But the important part of the cost to get him was not a #8 Dman + a 4th. It was the 6.5 mil in cap space that could possibly have been used elsewhere. Though Sens seem to be spending pretty lightly so there may not have been all that much potential there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad