Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I hope you are wrong. Because that is useless by itself, IMO.

That 6.5 mil cap hit could have been bundled with Laine and Roslovic, plus anything else necessary to get the real, long term improvements we need.

Ah, the old "trades are easy" solution. I guess we can just pick from the plethora of teams that are willing to deal top 6 Cs and top pairing D for a couple of wingers.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Poor Evander Kane.
still misundertood, i guess.

Kane, Sharks Sued by Centennial Bank

Poor guy, with the high cost of phones these days, it's hard to keep up with those monthly payments..

KANENENEfdsfafs.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ah, the old "trades are easy" solution. I guess we can just pick from the plethora of teams that are willing to deal top 6 Cs and top pairing D for a couple of wingers.

When did you ever see me say that trades are easy?

I'm just saying that Stastny cost us something that might have been used in some other way. I hope we had a good reason for wanting him. Finishing 18th in the league instead of 22nd in the league wouldn't be much of a reason. Wouldn't be any reason at all, in fact.

Reactions: Bigfish

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
When did you ever see me say that trades are easy?

I'm just saying that Stastny cost us something that might have been used in some other way. I hope we had a good reason for wanting him. Finishing 18th in the league instead of 22nd in the league wouldn't be much of a reason. Wouldn't be any reason at all, in fact.

I think the coach and management believe the team is capable of more than 18th in the league.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I hope if he has an issue with gambling he gets some help. If not he needs some serious help managing money. He is on the track to being bankrupt before his career is over.

The problem with Evander is he’s not the type of guy to listen to anyone.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the coach and management believe the team is capable of more than 18th in the league.

With that D corps?

OK, never mind that. If they believe that Stastny actually makes them a PO team, that is sufficient justification for getting him, which is the question I asked.

Not sure that I believe a 45 pt 2C makes up for that D corps, but he just might. Maybe with a healthy Morrissey, the D is better than I give them credit for. We'll see. :)

Reactions: Bigfish

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I hope if he has an issue with gambling he gets some help. If not he needs some serious help managing money. He is on the track to being bankrupt before his career is over.
wasn't he chartering a helicopter to fly into games or something?

anyways, on one hand, i felt bad about his time in Winnipeg because i am sure there was some racism that he dealt with. on the other hand...he's kind of scummy.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
wasn't he chartering a helicopter to fly into games or something?

anyways, on one hand, i felt bad about his time in Winnipeg because i am sure there was some racism that he dealt with. on the other hand...he's kind of scummy.

Yea with Evander and his money issues it’s more than gambling but that is a big issue (ask the shark club dealers about how terrible he is at gambling :help:). It’s not just the helicopter it’s the private Jets to see girlfriends......the billboard to say I’m sorry.....the high end cars in van that don’t get used and the alleged unpaid debt to the dealer.........and on and on. I think he struggles to grasp that the supply isn’t endless and sadly he may have burned through it all already.

On the personal front my guess is you are spot on it was an all the above challenge.

The one positive thing I will say is despite his rocky tenure in Winnipeg off the ice he always brought it on the ice and didn’t cheat me as a fan. Limited hockey IQ but fast, physical, and tilted the ice. I enjoyed his edge.

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Yea with Evander and his money issues it’s more than gambling but that is a big issue (ask the shark club dealers about how terrible he is at gambling :help:). It’s not just the helicopter it’s the private Jets to see girlfriends......the billboard to say I’m sorry.....the high end cars in van that don’t get used and the alleged unpaid debt to the dealer.........and on and on. I think he struggles to grasp that the supply isn’t endless and sadly he may have burned through it all already.

On the personal front my guess is you are spot on it was an all the above challenge.

The one positive thing I will say is despite his rocky tenure in Winnipeg off the ice he always brought it on the ice and didn’t cheat me as a fan. Limited hockey IQ but fast, physical, and tilted the ice. I enjoyed his edge.

Sometimes I can't help but be amazed about the sources you seem to have :laugh: how do you even get word like that about Evander from Shark Club Dealers?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
By all appearances Stastny declined last year. When a player has a down year at 29 or 30, it is just an off year and you hope for a bounce back. When a player has a down year at 34, you have to suspect the beginning of aging out. Some players fall off a cliff. Others decline gradually. Will Stastny be as good this year as he was 3 years ago, when we had him before? Highly unlikely. Will he be as good as he was 2 years ago, his first with VGK? I'd say, not a chance. Will he be as good as he was last year with VGK? I hope so. He was on a 44 pt pace. Maybe with finishers like Laine and Connor he can put up 50 or even 55 (pace).

I think we need to ask ourselves why we got Stastny? Was it to try to be legitimate contenders? Is that realistic with our D corps? If not that, then what? Was it to try and get more out of Laine in order to make him happy and decide to stay? Or get more out of him to pump up his trade value? If either of those Laine related reasons, we sure as hell should not be putting Connor on the other wing to siphon away goals from Laine at the same time as reducing the line's playmaking and zone entry potentials. Fewer scoring opportunities and having to share them with Connor is not a recipe for a happy or more valuable Laine.

The Stastny acquisition may accomplish nothing other than a weaker draft next year.
I respectfully disagree. I can give many examples of players well into their thirties who have maintained or even built on their success/ performance. Some of them had a refocus of training and practice regimens to work on things that are starting to decline. Some of that training and dietary stuff focuses on the many ailments and injuries they have had in their careers that have become chronic issues. Some have adjusted their play styles to account for their limitations.

Others have enjoyed this due to being mentally invigorated by a new situation, or have been enhanced simply by playing on a better team, with better players and getting put in better situations in game.

Because Stasny had a 'down year' last year does not mean he is in decline or is going to fall off a cliff. Of course, because of his age that is a more likely explanation but right now, that is nothing more than speculation, and a one year sample size is far too small to really make that assertion.

The professionals that acquire players for the Jets know a lot more about the player that we are picking up than we do. They understand what they have been doing, their unique situations, and that informs their decision to pull the trigger. I'm sure Paul's familiarity with the team (and the team, him), the success he had with Laine and Ehlers was an important part of it, but a team that is up against the cap in a flat year is not going to spend 6MM+ on a guy if they don't truly believe they will provide a value commensurate to their salary.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, I want to see what Paul Stasny adds to the team before complaining that the move was bad for the team. In the end you may be right, but I think the jury is definitely still out.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Sometimes I can't help but be amazed about the sources you seem to have :laugh: how do you even get word like that about Evander from Shark Club Dealers?

I just happened to be at shark club after the second or third or fourth ??? season iirc. I was just starting my dinner and every single jet came in for an after the season party. Lots of jets were playing blackjack, I remember sheif , little and Kane. There was a big crowd surrounding them. I seen Kane go to the atm many times. I don’t know how much he was betting but the other players didn’t seem to go at all.

I had a great night talking shop with Montoya and pardy for the most part. I remember buff dancing on the floor with a smoke on his ear and pardy grabbing it and crushing it lol.

But yes back on topic I am a gambler myself sometimes and I clued one on how much he was losing, I’m sure it wasn’t the only time.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I respectfully disagree. I can give many examples of players well into their thirties who have maintained or even built on their success/ performance. Some of them had a refocus of training and practice regimens to work on things that are starting to decline. Some of that training and dietary stuff focuses on the many ailments and injuries they have had in their careers that have become chronic issues. Some have adjusted their play styles to account for their limitations.

Others have enjoyed this due to being mentally invigorated by a new situation, or have been enhanced simply by playing on a better team, with better players and getting put in better situations in game.

Because Stasny had a 'down year' last year does not mean he is in decline or is going to fall off a cliff. Of course, because of his age that is a more likely explanation but right now, that is nothing more than speculation, and a one year sample size is far too small to really make that assertion.

The professionals that acquire players for the Jets know a lot more about the player that we are picking up than we do. They understand what they have been doing, their unique situations, and that informs their decision to pull the trigger. I'm sure Paul's familiarity with the team (and the team, him), the success he had with Laine and Ehlers was an important part of it, but a team that is up against the cap in a flat year is not going to spend 6MM+ on a guy if they don't truly believe they will provide a value commensurate to their salary.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, I want to see what Paul Stasny adds to the team before complaining that the move was bad for the team. In the end you may be right, but I think the jury is definitely still out.

"Because Stasny had a 'down year' last year does not mean he is in decline or is going to fall off a cliff. Of course, because of his age that is a more likely explanation"
That's what I said. I didn't say it was written in stone. I said it was likely. A few exceptions don't disprove the rule.

The rest of your post is an appeal to authority and not a very good one. We see bad decisions made around the league by those "professionals" all the time, including some by the Jets.

Stastny played well with Ehlers and Laine 3 years ago. Right now it doesn't look like he is even going to get that chance this time. It is going to be Connor and Laine. Very different.

I didn't say the deal was bad for the Jets. I raised the question of what the plan was, what were the expectations, what did Chevy intend to accomplish? It plugged the hole at 2C, but to what end?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
With that D corps?

OK, never mind that. If they believe that Stastny actually makes them a PO team, that is sufficient justification for getting him, which is the question I asked.

Not sure that I believe a 45 pt 2C makes up for that D corps, but he just might. Maybe with a healthy Morrissey, the D is better than I give them credit for. We'll see. :)

I don't think anyone can believe that the team felt they aren't a playoff team with the defence so let's just go get Stastny for fun.

The team was on the bubble with Wheeler at 2C and a defence that was made up of waiver pickups, it doesn't seem strange to me that they wold think they're better with DeMelo and Forbort on it.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Poor guy, with the high cost of phones these days, it's hard to keep up with those monthly payments..

KANENENEfdsfafs.jpg
But he's such a great guy and everyone around him is prejudice and making up lies about him skipping out on bills and being an all-around douche.....

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think anyone can believe that the team felt they aren't a playoff team with the defence so let's just go get Stastny for fun.

The team was on the bubble with Wheeler at 2C and a defence that was made up of waiver pickups, it doesn't seem strange to me that they wold think they're better with DeMelo and Forbort on it.

Either way, they are a bubble team, just out of the PO or just in the PO. Probable 1st rd loser.

Honestly, I am being somewhat discouraged by what I read of TC. 1) No Samberg. 2) DeMelo on the 3rd pair, Poolman on the 1st. 3) Stastny with Laine and Connor instead of Laine and Ehlers.

I see those things as throwing away all of the potential improvements that I was hoping for. All that is left is to hope that I am wrong. That just isn't much fun, hoping to be wrong.

tantrum

Oct 2, 2014
Either way, they are a bubble team, just out of the PO or just in the PO. Probable 1st rd loser.

Honestly, I am being somewhat discouraged by what I read of TC. 1) No Samberg. 2) DeMelo on the 3rd pair, Poolman on the 1st. 3) Stastny with Laine and Connor instead of Laine and Ehlers.

I see those things as throwing away all of the potential improvements that I was hoping for. All that is left is to hope that I am wrong. That just isn't much fun, hoping to be wrong.

It's interesting that on the one hand you're disparaging the acquisition of a proven number 2 center...and on the other disparaging not just slotting a guy who has never even had an NHL practice as the saviour on defence. Samberg hopefully will be great, but it's unfair to him to not provide him time to acclimate to the NHL game.

All of your posts regarding the Jets' coaching and management suggests that you believe they are either purposely throwing the season(s) or are just plain stupid.

Some of the posters on this board are ultra-sensitive to this reality but Maurice and Chevy know more about hockey, the players, and the organization than any of the posters on this board. The coaches and management despite what you claim, are doing their best to win.

And for the record, it's absolutely fun to hope you're wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
winnipeg is a small city.
i've been gone for 20 years and i hear the rumours about certain players (Trouba, Bogosian...)

Reactions: ps241 and WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Mo seems to have a bit of a dated approach - I’m sure he knows a ton about hockey but teams are increasingly plugging young talent into the lineup and letting them grow - we seem to have stepped away from that...

it is discouraging to see Roslo thrown away, Samberg and Heinola waiting and Lewis/Thompson playing over Harkins/Apples

statsny signing is good for this year and that’s it - we are now several years into the franchise with no hope of developing a 2C

tantrum

Oct 2, 2014
Mo seems to have a bit of a dated approach - I’m sure he knows a ton about hockey but teams are increasingly plugging young talent into the lineup and letting them grow - we seem to have stepped away from that...

it is discouraging to see Roslo thrown away, Samberg and Heinola waiting and Lewis/Thompson playing over Harkins/Apples

statsny signing is good for this year and that’s it - we are now several years into the franchise with no hope of developing a 2C
Roslo is Roslo...just didn't fit in here for whatever reason... but Heinola played last year and will play this year....Harkins is injured he was developed the right way and will be in the lineup this year...as will Samberg. Just a little patience is needed.

Under Maurices direction the jets were one of the youngest teams in the NHL....the narrative that he doesn't play young players is a bit misleading.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's interesting that on the one hand you're disparaging the acquisition of a proven number 2 center...and on the other disparaging not just slotting a guy who has never even had an NHL practice as the saviour on defence. Samberg hopefully will be great, but it's unfair to him to not provide him time to acclimate to the NHL game.

All of your posts regarding the Jets' coaching and management suggests that you believe they are either purposely throwing the season(s) or are just plain stupid.

Some of the posters on this board are ultra-sensitive to this reality but Maurice and Chevy know more about hockey, the players, and the organization than any of the posters on this board. The coaches and management despite what you claim, are doing their best to win.

And for the record, it's absolutely fun to hope you're wrong.

That proven 2C is a band-aid fix. He can't be a part of transitioning to contention unless we can contend this year. Do you honestly believe that is possible? He appears to be in decline. I hope he has 1 more good year in him.

That untried, unproven defenseman has been touted, not as a saviour, but as an important step in the right direction - and as over-ripened, NHL ready now. I had much lower expectations of him than many here. I only expected him to be given a chance and to make it as a 3D. I was expecting a step in the right direction, not a saviour. And not to have him dismissed without so much as a glance.

No, I definitely don't think management or coaching are deliberately throwing the season. They certainly would not have spent big money on a 2C to throw the season. I don't think they are stupid either. Far from it. Both Maurice and Chevy are highly intelligent men who know hockey. But both have habits they bring to their jobs. Both keep repeating things that have worked badly or outright failed in the past.

Of course they are knowledgeable and of course they are doing their best. I guess that means there is nothing to criticize, nothing to even discuss here at all. What do you suggest we talk about here? Should we all check in once a day just to say Go Jets Go? And then go hang out on Facebook?

It may be fun for you to hope I'm wrong, or for me to hope you are wrong. It isn't much fun for me to hope I'm wrong. Though I do that often enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia