Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
The thing about Edmonton is that the same type of season letdown/lack of improvement could be repeated a number of times successively. I am not even being unkind, just realistic. It really could happen a few more times. I actually expect it more than not.
If you spend too much time thinking about the future without doing anything about the present, that's what you get.
Edit: basically just saying they got hooked on futures, like an addiction.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The thing about Edmonton is that the same type of season letdown/lack of improvement could be repeated a number of times successively. I am not even being unkind, just realistic. It really could happen a few more times. I actually expect it more than not.
If you spend too much time thinking about the future without doing anything about the present, that's what you get.
They never added the supplemental players, veterans, whether it be through shrewd trades or free agent signings, to support Hall, RNH, Eberle, and McDavid. The guys they did add were the wrong ones.

Reactions: BroadwayBlues

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So this is probably a "cool story bro" for most people but it was kind of cool for me. But a friend of mine who used to play hockey with some NHLers sent me a screenshot of Ryan Suter sending him a LinkedIn request. I considered sharing the screenshot and blacking out my friend's name but decided it might be going a bit too far. Either way, I thought that was kind of cool. He's also friends with Zach Parise. Can't remember the other names.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
They never added the supplemental players, veterans, whether it be through shrewd trades or free agent signings, to support Hall, RNH, Eberle, and McDavid. The guys they did add were the wrong ones.

Worse than that, they didn't even draft the depth and role-players that may have allowed them to trade some of their top end talent for other top end talent.

From the 2007 draft onwards the Oilers have drafted 6 players outside the 1rst round who have gone on to play 100 NHL games. Only 2 of those have played more than 200; and a lot of those picks were high second rounders.
In the same time frame the Rangers (who I don't think are anything special when it comes to drafting) have also drafted 6 players who have played 100+ games, but 5 of them have played 200+ and 3 of them have played 400+.

Their inability to identify, draft and develop talent has completely screwed that club up, and now it appears they are going to waste the prime of one of the best young players that the game has seen.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Worse than that, they didn't even draft the depth and role-players that may have allowed them to trade some of their top end talent for other top end talent.

From the 2007 draft onwards the Oilers have drafted 6 players outside the 1rst round who have gone on to play 100 NHL games. Only 2 of those have played more than 200; and a lot of those picks were high second rounders.
In the same time frame the Rangers (who I don't think are anything special when it comes to drafting) have also drafted 6 players who have played 100+ games, but 5 of them have played 200+ and 3 of them have played 400+.

Their inability to identify, draft and develop talent has completely screwed that club up, and now it appears they are going to waste the prime of one of the best young players that the game has seen.

I talked about this a few months back when there were concerns the Rangers could be going down the same path as the Oilers when it comes to a rebuild.

Outside of their first rounders, the Oilers have been poor at finding talent throughout the draft.

The only point I disagree with is the Rangers, but I (and others) have beaten that horse to death and have yet to really see a reasonable reply.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I talked about this a few months back when there were concerns the Rangers could be going down the same path as the Oilers when it comes to a rebuild.

Outside of their first rounders, the Oilers have been poor at finding talent throughout the draft.

The only point I disagree with is the Rangers, but I (and others) have beaten that horse to death and have yet to really see a reasonable reply.

I would say our drafting has been average to above-average, but not so incredible that it couldn't be used as reasonable example of what the Oilers could or should have been able to achieve

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Difference is that the Rangers will always be the #1 destination for UFAs as well as guys looking to be traded.

If we can draft our own solid core we can plug in the rest with trades and FA.

People always saying "why wouldnt such and such player want to go to Edmonton and play with McDavid?" Because McDavid or not, nobody wants to sign or be traded to Edmonton.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I kind of think the Rangers being a free agent destination mostly hurts them in terms of when they are rebuilding, in a way even when they are trying to compete. I will be kind of surprised to see them resist the temptation to create some truly awful contracts perhaps as soon as this next off-season.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Damn the Islanders got jobbed on that goal coming back and the Ducks come right back and take a 2-0 lead. With how dominant Gibson has been the isles are in trouble

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Edmonton is tough to go to for UFAs because it's a smaller market and it's winter like 9 months of the year lol.

Rangers aren't a hot destination now because the team is in the beginning stages of the rebuild. Once they get the core pieces in place, maybe even as soon as this draft, that will change.

STL off to a rough start. I'm not a fan of Yeo at all but it's funny they have a high payroll now. Everyone always blames the Rangers and also Flyers, Stars, Avs, Leafs, etc. for the escalation of the payroll wars and the need for a salary cap, but the Blues started that in the early 90s when the salary cap was Gretzky.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
It's looking like Arizona and Detroit is our competition for the basement. Both teams look absolutely awful.

Ottawa has strong center depth and is still winning games despite being bitten by the injury bug. Chabot on defense is going to be great. They're going to be better than a lot of people thought.

Montreal is off to a good start, but how sustainable is it?

Buffalo isn't going to be a basement dweller this year.

The Rangers are going to make games tight because of their compete level and will steal games because of Lundqvist. The team is just so bereft of talent on offense and defense that I don't see them not being towards the bottom of the league standings. If the Rangers finish better than a bottom 5 team, it is because Lundqvist had a Vezina caliber season.

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's looking like Arizona and Detroit is our competition for the basement. Both teams look absolutely awful.

Ottawa has strong center depth and is still winning games despite being bitten by the injury bug. Chabot on defense is going to be great. They're going to be better than a lot of people thought.

Montreal is off to a good start, but how sustainable is it?

Buffalo isn't going to be a basement dweller this year.

The Rangers are going to make games tight because of their compete level and will steal games because of Lundqvist. The team is just so bereft of talent on offense and defense that I don't see them not being towards the bottom of the league standings. If the Rangers finish better than a bottom 5 team, it is because Lundqvist had a Vezina caliber season.

Keeping in mind that at least two forwards in our top 9 will likely be gone as we enter the final quarter of the season.

So there's that whole backend of the season that we have to factor into our calculations.

Reactions: jas

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
For sure. The Sens will finish ahead of the Rangers. Chabot and the young forwards are solid. Tierney and DeMelo give that lineup some depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad