Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
In some ways, it’s almost amazing the Leafs are where they are. They’ve done a pretty poor job of drafting outside of their top 10 selections.

Like almost Edmonton Oilers level type poor.

Amazing what the ability to sign free agents, and not totally biff trades can do.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's looking like Arizona and Detroit is our competition for the basement. Both teams look absolutely awful.

Ottawa has strong center depth and is still winning games despite being bitten by the injury bug. Chabot on defense is going to be great. They're going to be better than a lot of people thought.

Montreal is off to a good start, but how sustainable is it?

Buffalo isn't going to be a basement dweller this year.

The Rangers are going to make games tight because of their compete level and will steal games because of Lundqvist. The team is just so bereft of talent on offense and defense that I don't see them not being towards the bottom of the league standings. If the Rangers finish better than a bottom 5 team, it is because Lundqvist had a Vezina caliber season.
It will last just long enough to get their hopes up, then they'll spend the rest of the season falling apart. Montreal does this pretty often it seems like.

Edit: nvm it was really just 2015-16. :laugh:

11/01/2015: 8-2-1
04/01/2016: 38-38-6

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
no way even without Hank are the Red Wings better than the Rangers. Just on paper looks like Detroit/Arizona will be fighting for the 1/2 spots

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Kings getting hyped before season started nice to see them lose and have same record as us. Plus Islanders need some points. They won't be good enough to make playoffs but hopefully they don't pick top 5 either.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
It's looking like Arizona and Detroit is our competition for the basement. Both teams look absolutely awful.

Ottawa has strong center depth and is still winning games despite being bitten by the injury bug. Chabot on defense is going to be great. They're going to be better than a lot of people thought.

Montreal is off to a good start, but how sustainable is it?

Buffalo isn't going to be a basement dweller this year.

The Rangers are going to make games tight because of their compete level and will steal games because of Lundqvist. The team is just so bereft of talent on offense and defense that I don't see them not being towards the bottom of the league standings. If the Rangers finish better than a bottom 5 team, it is because Lundqvist had a Vezina caliber season.
Arizona isn't as bad as their record. Have been the better team in many games but no puck luck. Handled the Blackhawks fairly easy tonight.

The good thing (from my perspective) is that the Rangers are putting together good efforts. The bad news is that the lack of talent will catch up to them.

And then there's the post trade deadline swoon to consider.

Reactions: Sarge13

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Kings getting hyped before season started nice to see them lose and have same record as us. Plus Islanders need some points. They won't be good enough to make playoffs but hopefully they don't pick top 5 either.
Well they didn’t even draft top 10 this past summer but still managed to have TEH GREATEST DRAFT EVAR

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
double ricochet goal for Florida against Washington, off of Eller and dribbles on the goal line with a defenseman trying to swipe at it out of the net before it eventually went over. In the mean time, Chytil gets robbed by Talbot on the goal line and our puck gets swept away by a Caps D.

Reactions: Ail

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
double ricochet goal for Florida against Washington, off of Eller and dribbles on the goal line with a defenseman trying to swipe at it out of the net before it eventually went over. In the mean time, Chytil gets robbed by Talbot on the goal line and our puck gets swept away by a Caps D.

Tired of it.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
And they are likely getting at least 1 pretty good pick, courtesy of Ottawa

Dorion using that pick last year is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a GM do.

If he still had the pick and it looked like Ottawa was going to overachieve this year, just trade off some assets. If they bottom out this year (very likely), then he has no way of magically making them better without becoming a buyer again (lol).

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Can't help myself rooting for Ottawa. Not only from a helping Rangers chance at getting better pick perspective but just because. Give those fans and that city a little hockey cheering when things were looking beyond bleak.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Frankly, I think for many players, there's not a whole lot of risk for being reckless.

Maybe they get suspended a few games? No one is going to go after them, we've eliminated that response. The team replaces the offending player for a brief spell and everyone moves on except the player who was taken out.

But if a play like last night becomes an automatic 10 game suspension, and the team can't fill the roster spot. Now you've got a legit detriment. Personally, I don't really care if its predatory or not. Just like the league doesn't care if you meant to hit someone with your stick or not. Make the player responsible for their play.

By all means, the league can keep going down the route it is --- and there will be long-term consequences.

I just checked, Wilson is listed on Washington's roster. I'm pretty sure that teams cannot add another player to their roster when a player is suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad