News Article: Around the NHL

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It is hard to believe that two years ago, the Sens were only a double OT loss at game 7 of their Eastern Conference Final series against the Pens from going to the Stanley Cup. A win would have changed that team's trajectory forever.

I was just having a conversation with my GF about this very subject. A lot of bad calls went against them in that game 7, where you sit back & think if one of breaks had gone the other way.

After that, the wheels really fell off, followed up by their cheapskate owner just being himself. Hard to not feel bad for their fans.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

KeithfromCanada

Mar 3, 2019
I was just having a conversation with my GF about this very subject. A lot of bad calls went against them in that game 7, where you sit back & think if one of breaks had gone the other way.

After that, the wheels really fell off, followed up by their cheapskate owner just being himself. Hard to not feel bad for their fans.

As one of those fans, I appreciate the sympathy. Hard to believe they went from a team with a solid, young core to a dumpster fire in the following 2 seasons. And yes, a greedy, moronic owner + an incompetent GM we're behind this dismantling with no vision for rebuilding it. Correction - they had a vision - save money and lie to the fanbase.

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
Not sure if this is the correct place to post it so forgive me if I am wrong.
Just thought you might be interested in knowing that your team (according to some swedish media sources) have shown interest in signing Nick Ebert who is one of the leading scorers among defenseman in the SHL.

Örebrobacken aktuell för NHL

This article is in swedish and not very much to go on but the reporter who has written this is usually well informed.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Not sure if this is the correct place to post it so forgive me if I am wrong.
Just thought you might be interested in knowing that your team (according to some swedish media sources) have shown interest in signing Nick Ebert who is one of the leading scorers among defenseman in the SHL.

Örebrobacken aktuell för NHL

This article is in swedish and not very much to go on but the reporter who has written this is usually well informed.

Interesting indeed. An American from NJ, he is 24, was drafted in 13 (?) by LAK, won a Calder Cup with the Monarchs (with zero games played postseason), traded to Dallas, had a decent season with the Texas Stars, then bolted for Europe after three AHL seasons when his ELC ran out. Played for Bratislava in the KHL, then moved on to the SHL. If he signs with Vegas, I don't think he's interested in continuing his AHL career......Would he be an NHL defenseman?

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
Interesting indeed. An American from NJ, he is 24, was drafted in 13 (?) by LAK, won a Calder Cup with the Monarchs (with zero games played postseason), traded to Dallas, had a decent season with the Texas Stars, then bolted for Europe after three AHL seasons when his ELC ran out. Played for Bratislava in the KHL, then moved on to the SHL. If he signs with Vegas, I don't think he's interested in continuing his AHL career......Would he be an NHL defenseman?

As he plays for the team I follow in Sweden I can give you some insights. We all here were pretty sure he would leave after the season as he is a bit to good to play in the SHL, at least according to us biased fans. And Nick himself have, to no suprise, talked about the prospect to return to the NHL sooner rather than later.

I think he defeniately could have shot at making a 3rd pairing in the NHL. Those who knows hockey a bit better than say that he has some small defensive lapses (but nothing very apparent) that might be more exploited in the best leauge in the world than they are here in Sweden. He has a helluva shot, some say the best in the league and I wonder if it be possible to use a 3rd pairing d-man on the Power Play. That doesnt seem to be to common but you wanna have him release his slapper from the blue line. :)

He won the MVP here in Örebro as the best player of the team, he leads the team in points and as mentioned earlier he is one of the best scoring defenseman in the league. Which is especially good since he plays on one of the worst (10th placed of 14) teams.

Sorry for my poor english the wall of text but I do think he could be an interesting player to have a serious look at at least.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Compared to what we’ve iced as defensemen this season I’d say he has a decent shot if it comes to fruition.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Hi Vegas fans. I come in peace, as a fantasy owner in a keeper league. What are your candid thoughts on William Karlsson and his season? Is this regression back to his level of production, or does he have a higher gear like last year? Seems like he will be fighting more for C ice time with Cody Glass ready to make the jump. With the Stone signing, it also might complicate contract negotiations.

Do I trade for him? Thanks in advance.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hi Vegas fans. I come in peace, as a fantasy owner in a keeper league. What are your candid thoughts on William Karlsson and his season? Is this regression back to his level of production, or does he have a higher gear like last year? Seems like he will be fighting more for C ice time with Cody Glass ready to make the jump. With the Stone signing, it also might complicate contract negotiations.

Do I trade for him? Thanks in advance.

Your instincts are more or less correct. If he's not playing with Stone, and Glass has a great start to his career, Karlsson's numbers will be under 30g 30a.
I think he's still a 30 goal man and a pretty good playmaker on a top line though. He should be leading the team in points this year given his skill level.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Your instincts are more or less correct. If he's not playing with Stone, and Glass has a great start to his career, Karlsson's numbers will be under 30g 30a.
I think he's still a 30 goal man and a pretty good playmaker on a top line though. He should be leading the team in points this year given his skill level.

I think he doesn't shoot enough to consistently score that many goals.

I think his offensive success would depend on who his linemates are. I think of how Landeskog played this season, or parts of it, with offensive firepower but without better offensive linemates does not reach those heights.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I think he doesn't shoot enough to consistently score that many goals.

I think his offensive success would depend on who his linemates are. I think of how Landeskog played this season, or parts of it, with offensive firepower but without better offensive linemates does not reach those heights.
Doesn't help that Marshy shoots whenever he can. Ever since Stone came to town the Bill-Smith pairing has been pretty good.

Also: Bill-Smith PK pairing is so darn good they've only let in 5 goals(and scored 2) while they've been on the ice for 86 minutes.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Doesn't help that Marshy shoots whenever he can. Ever since Stone came to town the Bill-Smith pairing has been pretty good.

Also: Bill-Smith PK pairing is so darn good they've only let in 5 goals(and scored 2) while they've been on the ice for 86 minutes.

I think Karlsson is defensively elite as is Smith. Karlsson could be better offensively but he doesn't shoot enough by his own admission. He said in an interview he waits for really good opportunities to shoot and does not otherwise.

Marchessault definitely goes too far sometimes with shooting but shoot to create playmaking can be used more effectively than holding the puck too long or making too many passes.

Wild Bill has the shot to be better offensively he needs the mindset to be a bit more selfish than comes naturally to him.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Hey gang. Jerk coming in peace, working on a trade value project. How would you all rank the Knights players by trade value (the top 7-10 or so)? Think of it this way, pick two guys and say "if I could only have one of these two guys, who would I take?" Start at the bottom and go up the list like that.

Age, contract and performance all count. No-movement clauses, value to the franchise, and "untouchability" don't. (For free agents, we have a pretty good idea what these guys will get. Please slot them in where they will be once they sign, even if it's not with Vegas.)

I'd probably rank your guys like this, but please let me know where I'm wrong and who I forgot. I'm trying to keep this to NHL players, so avoid guys with fewer than 40 games in the league. Thanks!

Mark Stone, 26, $9.5m, 2027
Jonathan Marchessault, 28, $5m, 2024
Alex Tuch, 22, $4.75, 2025
Shea Theodore, 23, $5.2m, 2025
Marc-Andre Fleury, 34, $7m, 2022
William Karlsson, 26, $5.25m, 2019
Reilly Smith, 27, $5m, 2022

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Reactions: Nevada Jones

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
lol at that william karlsson main board thread.

I think it is time to implement a rule that says any new threads on the main boards has to be approved by a mod before being posted. That imo would cut down on some of the stupidity that goes on in hf boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad