News Article: Around the NHL

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Regardless, I expect NHLPA to appeal (to Bettman) to reduce that # of games. (It's just something that NHLPA "has" to do, if player wishes it.)

2018-19 NHL Trade Tracker

Bookmark link -- it'll be updated through the season.

Minnesota and Montreal did a minor trade.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

However, I think they threw the book at him for repeated suspensions.

That's exactly why they came down so hard. Someone on the main board mentioned him getting away with a cheap shot in Round 1 against Wennberg on Columbus. He also got away with the borderline late hit/cheap shot on Marchy in the Finals. He could've been easily looking at his 5th or 6th suspension in a calendar year.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Wilson suspended? Best news I've heard all day.

As much as I like hockey, all the Wilson apologists sicken me. (That includes you, NHL Network radio.) I'm tired of hearing about his being a "great Canadian player."

If hockey ever wants to be considered more than a freak show and mindless spectacle, they have to rid the game of mooks like Wilson.

Over a million dollars lost from suspension?

Ghaha.gif

Last edited:

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Regardless, I expect NHLPA to appeal (to Bettman) to reduce that # of games. (It's just something that NHLPA "has" to do, if player wishes it.)

2018-19 NHL Trade Tracker

Bookmark link -- it'll be updated through the season.

Minnesota and Montreal did a minor trade.

I get that they probably have to, but it puts the NHLPA in a tough spot. The only people he is hurting are the fellow union members. Should the NHLPA help the guy potentially end another player's career? Plus if (or when) there is a concussion lawsuit, it doesn't look good on the NHLPA appealing this suspension given the circumstances and history with this guy. Really tough spot.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Some pundits are comparing Wilson to Raffi Torres (who essentially played his way out of the NHL with a few ill chosen hits that the NHL ended up increasing lengths of suspensions and on ice officials would call "reputation" PIMs), but Raffi was at the end of his playing career, rather than Wilson who is younger but at the beginning of his.

I have not watched/researched Wilson specifically to know how good he could be.

But Raffi NEVER had four suspensions in a calendar year.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I get that they probably have to, but it puts the NHLPA in a tough spot. The only people he is hurting are the fellow union members. Should the NHLPA help the guy potentially end another player's career? Plus if (or when) there is a concussion lawsuit, it doesn't look good on the NHLPA appealing this suspension given the circumstances and history with this guy. Really tough spot.

Yep. The league (owners) and public wouldn't nominally support such an action, but NHLPA always has this dichotomy to deal with as they "represent" both the victim and the accused/aggressor.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Yep. The league (owners) and public wouldn't nominally support such an action, but NHLPA always has this dichotomy to deal with as they "represent" both the victim and the accused/aggressor.

Its a "does the good of the many outweigh the good of the one" situation. If I were the players, I'd take a close look at what the NHLPA is allowed to defend. Perhaps escalation of punishment due to repeat offense, especially when the result is injury to another member, should not be grounds for representation at appeal. Maybe the players reps should have to approve the NHLPA's involvement in these situations? But I'm not a player or an NHLPA member. :cool:

I think they are definitely putting themselves is a position of weakness with regards to defending players on the issue of future brain injuries. To me, that would be a more important issue than representing a head hunter on an appeal that resulted from frequent rules violations and member injuries. But it is on the member players to recognize this and make the change.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Union required to do the representation per CBA in these situations.

So you're talking a much bigger can of worms than those outside might encounter. (First off, most employment situations/contracts/unions do not expect players to physically engage each other in the normal course of work. It enters the criminal field with prosecutors and public defenders with assault and battery, etc.) And if an aggressor had to hire a lawyer to represent him, it would get so much more expensive and complicated real fast.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I was listening to the Ducks postgame show last night. I heard VGK commentator Brad May defend Wilson's hit. In fact, he joked that the recipient of the Wilson hit (Oskar Sundqvist) should have been penalized, instead. (I think he suggested Sundqvist "should have kept his head up.")

Either May was intoxicated or he was just trying to be provocative.

GKwhat.gif

That said, this league has got to get its act together concerning head trauma.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
All players should play with their heads up.

Even the DoPS video indicated that the player in that area of the ice should be prepared to be hit.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
You are correct, he should expect to be hit and if Wilson had blown him up with a hit on the shoulder there would have been no problem. But Wilson grazes the shoulder and drives through his head. That should never be acceptable and he deserved every game he got for his 4th suspension in the past year, 3 for hits to the head. I love Brad May as someone who grew up as a Sabres fan but he played in a different era and those kind of hits are no longer legal nor should they be.

Gotta love the victim blaming that goes on here and elsewhere.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
So LA kings Vs Ottawa today and a little something that made me laugh.

LA Kings defenseman Dion Phaneuf is Ottawas highest paid defenseman this game. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Nevada Jones

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was listening to the Ducks postgame show last night. I heard VGK commentator Brad May defend Wilson's hit. In fact, he joked that the recipient of the Wilson hit (Oskar Sundqvist) should have been penalized, instead. (I think he suggested Sundqvist "should have kept his head up.")

Either May was intoxicated or he was just trying to be provocative.

View attachment 144163

That said, this league has got to get its act together concerning head trauma.
Brad May was suspended while in AZ for committing a very similar hit that wilson delivered. Got 10 games for it. So you shouldn’t be surprised by his attitude. Also his style of play he’s going to defend that because that was his style, he was just a bit smaller than wilson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad