Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Development is more attributable to the individual player than the league he's in ok bye

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...has-goalie-pad-reduction-impacted-nhl-scoring

This just in, reducing goalie pad size hasn't increased goal scoring.

But, it won't stop people from blaming the size of goalie gear on low scoring.....

It was still the right move, though. Who's to say scoring wouldn't be down even more without it? Unlikely, because the recent changes were minor, but they're a nice addition to the changes that came with the previous lockout.

The evolution of defensive systems + the depth of quality goaltending in the league is gonna make it incredibly hard to 'force' an increase in scoring. One minor thing I'd like to see is to still award the power play if the team scores on the delayed penalty.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It was still the right move, though. Who's to say scoring wouldn't be down even more without it? Unlikely, because the recent changes were minor, but they're a nice addition to the changes that came with the previous lockout.

The evolution of defensive systems + the depth of quality goaltending in the league is gonna make it incredibly hard to 'force' an increase in scoring. One minor thing I'd like to see is to still award the power play if the team scores on the delayed penalty.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: goalie gear is a red herring when it comes to reducing scoring.

Smaller gear makes goalies more mobile and that offsets the blocking surface lost from what I have seen.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I've said it before and I'll say it again: goalie gear is a red herring when it comes to reducing scoring.

Smaller gear makes goalies more mobile and that offsets the blocking surface lost from what I have seen.

If they significantly reduce the padding in the torso and shoulders it would make a difference.

It would also make goalie talent relevant again

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
How about teams remain on the power play for the full 2 minutes even if they score?

I go back and forth on that one. It's extreme relative to having scoring on the delayed penalty not cancel the power play, but it probably wouldn't be as extreme as it seems. It'd certainly widen the gap between good, average, and bad special teams clubs.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If they significantly reduce the padding in the torso and shoulders it would make a difference.

It would also make goalie talent relevant again

They have reduced the size of pants and C/As. It hasn't made much of a difference.

The only way that helps is if they demand radical changes in how C/As are designed.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Evander Kane is soooooo "LA model." Do something, Tim.
He's not LA model at all. The problem with acquiring a talent like Kane is that he's not good enough to be the focal point of a team but he's going to cost you that amount to acquire. He'd look great in a few years with someone like Reinhart if he's able to become defensively responsible at the NHL level but giving the assets up currently wouldn't be worth it. I could see him ending up on a team like Carolina if they're looking for a quick re-tool with a new GM instead of a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad