Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@TSNBobMcKenzie: NHL and NHLPA yesterday officially signed off on final accounting of 2012-13 season, when clubs overspent cap by about $265M. So...

@TSNBobMcKenzie: ...Each NHL club will soon get more than $5M from the NHLPA escrow fund. They've known for awhile they getting it, but it's now official.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
@TSNBobMcKenzie: NHL and NHLPA yesterday officially signed off on final accounting of 2012-13 season, when clubs overspent cap by about $265M. So...

@TSNBobMcKenzie: ...Each NHL club will soon get more than $5M from the NHLPA escrow fund. They've known for awhile they getting it, but it's now official.

Drinks on TPegs!!!!!

:laugh:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Halak's save % with Blues was .917, with Caps its .929

Miller's save % with Sabres was .923, with Blues its .913.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Halak's save % with Blues was .917, with Caps its .929

Miller's save % with Sabres was .923, with Blues its .913.

St Louis allows 26.2 shots per game (2nd fewest)
Washington allows 33.5 shots per game (4th most)
Buffalo allows 34.7 shots per game (2nd most)

Shots per game does affect save percentage.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
St Louis allows 26.2 shots per game (2nd fewest)
Washington allows 33.5 shots per game (4th most)
Buffalo allows 34.7 shots per game (2nd most)

Shots per game does affect save percentage.

I would look more at scoring chances, but for some reason those stats are hard to find. I would guess Sabres and Caps give up a lot more chances than the Blues.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Taken from an article on NHL.com -

There will be more than just two points at stake when the Blackhawks play the Bruins on Thursday (7:00 pm ET, NHL Network-United States). Chicago, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Colorado Avalanche can all clinch spots in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Boston can become the first team to claim a division title. Below are the scenarios:

Boston Bruins - can win the Atlantic Division and clinch at least a top-two spot in the Eastern Conference for the Stanley Cup Playoffs if they beat the Blackhawks in any fashion AND have the Tampa Bay Lightning lose to the New York Islanders in any way. Boston also can win the division if they get one point against the Blackhawks AND the Lightning lose to the Islanders in regulation.

Pittsburgh Penguins - would clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs if they get at least one point against the Los Angeles Kings.

Chicago Blackhawks - would clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs if they get at least one point against the Bruins OR if the Phoenix Coyotes lose to the New Jersey Devils in any fashion.

Colorado Avalanche - would clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs if they defeat the Vancouver Canucks in any fashion AND the Coyotes lose to the Devils in any fashion.

The Boston Bruins are the only team in the Eastern Conference to have clinched a postseason spot. The St. Louis Blues, Anaheim Ducks and San Jose Sharks already are in from the Western Conference.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I would look more at scoring chances, but for some reason those stats are hard to find. I would guess Sabres and Caps give up a lot more chances than the Blues.

Also scoring chances are incredibly subjective, which would make it a hard stat to use in any objective way.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
@TSNBobMcKenzie: NYI owner Charles Wang in talks to sell majority stake in NHL franchise. Nothing done yet, no telling if it gets done, but talks underway.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
@TSNBobMcKenzie: NYI owner Charles Wang in talks to sell majority stake in NHL franchise. Nothing done yet, no telling if it gets done, but talks underway.

Great news for the NHL and obviously for Islanders fans. Having new majority ownership in place in hand with the move to Barclays could help turn things around.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Sigh - I re-posted all that and no-one clinched a playoff spot. Boston won their game over Chicago but Tampa Bay won their game over the Islanders. Chicago couldn't clinch since well they lost to Boston and Phoenix won their game over New Jersey. Pittsburgh couldn't clinch as they lost in regulation to Los Angeles - needed to get to overtime. Colorado did win their game vs Vancouver but didn't clinch a spot because of the Phoenix win over New Jersey. Maybe not posting tonights clinching situations - will be positive and someone will clinch a spot - LOL!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/201...ayoff-type-hockey-3-2-ot-win-vancouver/17329/

DUCHENE: “Last four years every time I skate behind the net after a whistle he comes and hits me. So I hit him back and he didn’t like it very much. Fifth year in the league and I’m not going to back down. That’s his game, he’s a great hockey player, a great two-way guy with a little bit of an edge to him. But I’m not going to back down. I don’t think you’re going to see us fight anytime soon but I’m certainly not going to give him any ground, or any satisfaction with being able to push me around.â€

Jamie McGinn answered for Duchene, making a big check on Kesler in the corner and challenging him to more. Gabe Landeskog got involved after that.

Said Duchene: “It was outstanding. Kesler wouldn’t go with Ginner but then he was telling Landy he’d go with him. Kind of funny when a guy hits his spots like that. He told me to try him any time. It was kind of funny: Ginner went at him and there was no more crap, not one word, said from him the rest of the game. So Ginner did a great job there and it’s little things like that that are going to be big for us as a team (in the playoffs).

:laugh:

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
As long as the sale and subsequent team turn-around happens AFTER the Sabres get their '14 or '15 first rounder. I think it's clear that the Sabres benefit from this :laugh:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Thought ESPN Fantasy Gamecast was screwing with me - wouldn't be the first time they were wrong especially on a time of a goal. But after checking around, yes it was indeed true...

Damn, JVR scores four seconds into the second period to tie the game for the Leafs vs Philadelphia at 1. Bozak won the faceoff - push the puck up across the Flyers blue line and fed JVR who one timed it past Mason and into the net.

Toronto Maple Leafs ‏@MapleLeafs - #TMLtalk video: This JVR goal is a new team record for fastest goal in a period at 4 seconds.
http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=802&id=589231&lang=en

JVR just tied a NHL record of the fastest goal start of start of a period at four seconds. He is one of six NHL players to do so and yes, former Sabre great, Alexander Mogilny is one of them. In fact Alex is the last one to do it on December 21, 1991 - which was against the Maple Leafs in Toronto. Alex is one of three players to score their goal at the start of a game.

Fastest goal from start of game: Doug Smail (Dec. 20, 1981), Bryan Trottier (Mar. 22, 1984),
Alexander Mogilny (Dec. 21, 1991), 4 seconds.
Fastest goal from start of period: Claude Provost (Nov. 9, 1957) and Denis Savard (Jan. 12, 1986)
Doug Smail (Dec. 20, 1981), Bryan Trottier (Mar. 22, 1984), Alexander Mogilny (Dec. 21, 1991), 4 seconds.

Other fastest goals/assists records - Fastest goal by a player in his first NHL game:
Dave Christian, 7 seconds (Feb. 29, 1980) - LaxSabre - great month he had eh?
Fastest two goals from start of game: Mike Knuble, 27 seconds (Feb. 14, 2003).
Fastest three goals: Bill Mosienko, 21 seconds (Mar. 23, 1952).
Fastest three assists: Gus Bodnar, 21 seconds (Mar. 23, 1952).
Fastest overtime goal: Mats Sundin, Alexander Ovechkin, Simon Gagne, and David Legwand, 6 seconds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad