Around the NHL XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yikes. I understand skilled guys want to play with skilled guys...but you also need to give the team reason to believe you're worthy of being in that position, too. I get the Pool Party is frustrated, but you don't win allies by always pointing the fingers at others and blaming everyone else for your failings. Even if a situation isn't your fault, showing a bit of humility and beign willing to work with others (especially management) goes a long, long way toward success.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What would it cost to get him?
Probably too much or he would already have been moved.

We have the depth in our prospect pool and the shear volume of picks in the next few years to take a risk and overpay to get a guy that could turn things around and be a real good player. Something like Balcers or Abramov and a 3rd might be reasonable from our perspective, but I suspect they want more

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Pot no, but teams should care about players abusing (key word) coke. It’s much more dangerous and habit forming.
Yes, I worded that poorly. Pot, no problem, Coke needs to be held under control for sure. I just assume the use is so rampant with sports stars and celebrities that its sort of just an accepted sidecar to the lifestyle to use some blow and that there's no point singling anyone out for using and not abusing.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, I worded that poorly. Pot, no problem, Coke needs to be held under control for sure. I just assume the use is so rampant with sports stars and celebrities that its sort of just an accepted sidecar to the lifestyle to use some blow and that there's no point singling anyone out for using and not abusing.
Agreed

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Pot, no problem

I know of a few NHL careers that have been cut short or neutered a bit because dudes can't not be perma-high 24/7.

But yeah, coke never seems to have a happy ending. At least with pot, the occasional indulgence is pretty harmless. It can be a casual thing. There's not really any "casual" coke users at that level of wealth.

Most people I have ever known who only do coke "once in a while" are the types who can only afford coke once in a while.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I know of a few NHL careers that have been cut short or neutered a bit because dudes can't not be perma-high 24/7.

But yeah, coke never seems to have a happy ending. At least with pot, the occasional indulgence is pretty harmless. It can be a casual thing. There's not really any "casual" coke users at that level of wealth.

Most people I have ever known who only do coke "once in a while" are the types who can only afford coke once in a while.

Coke can be used as a ‘weekend party’ thing. A line here and there, same as pot

It is rampant in the richer party circles. A lot is casual IMO.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Meh, its in the same ballpark as booze when it comes to danger. Yet its perfectly ok for NHLers to drink that shit by the gallon.

Its just coke. Not like he was doing heroin

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I find discussions like these fascinating where you see collisions on people's thoughts about different drugs.

How many of you get to deal with people on the downside of casual turned problem coke / heroin etc use?

People are more familiar and wary with the life destroying effects of big time opiates like heroin/fentanyl, which they fully deserve.

Coke has more truly casual users then opiates. No question. But coke really wrecks a lot of lives too. Usually faster that an opiate addiction. Lots more successful people derailed by too much blow than shooting H.

To echo what Bonk said, with a majority of coke users, they will generally keep using until they run out of supply or money to buy more (think classic coke bender)

This is the same behaviour that manifests with any serious addiction, but due to the shorter life of the effects, users consume a lot more and spend a lot more $$.

Again, coke has always been viewed as a lifestyle, rich person's party drug, that doesn't normally come with the "eww" factor of people sitting around with drug rigs sticking out of them.

Pot is not even comparable to those classes of drugs, and I think society has rightfully finally figured that out.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I could see that in some cases for pot. More than anything it can turn you pretty lazy ime. Being a pro hockey player is obviously a demanding profession and not one you can really afford to be lazy at this day and age.

I prefer to vape it before hockey, love playing with a buzz going.

I would agree on the blow comment, you're in danger territory if you're wealthy. I know a few casual users I dont see much of anymore, but it never really fully took hold because they could only afford it once in a while.
Meh, its in the same ballpark as booze when it comes to danger. Yet its perfectly ok for NHLers to drink that **** by the gallon.

Its just coke. Not like he was doing heroin
For sure. Booze has ruined many lives and is one substance I prefer not to be around for the most part. I work next to the salvation army and see the destruction of so many from drinking. Im a pot user and the double standard is both hillarious and exhausting.
I find discussions like these fascinating where you see collisions on people's thoughts about different drugs.

How many of you get to deal with people on the downside of casual turned problem coke / heroin etc use?

People are more familiar and wary with the life destroying effects of big time opiates like heroin/fentanyl, which they fully deserve.

Coke has more truly casual users then opiates. No question. But coke really wrecks a lot of lives too. Usually faster that an opiate addiction. Lots more successful people derailed by too much blow than shooting H.

To echo what Bonk said, with a majority of coke users, they will generally keep using until they run out of supply or money to buy more (think classic coke bender)

This is the same behaviour that manifests with any serious addiction, but due to the shorter life of the effects, users consume a lot more and spend a lot more $$.

Again, coke has always been viewed as a lifestyle, rich person's party drug, that doesn't normally come with the "eww" factor of people sitting around with drug rigs sticking out of them.

Pot is not even comparable to those classes of drugs, and I think society has rightfully finally figured that out.
Agreed! So many polarizing opinions. The whole legalization thing sure did provoke a lot of interesting conversations with some rather irrational judgement of the substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad