Around the NHL XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Well "accident" or not, if you throw a burning ethanol bottle onto me and give me 3rd degree buns, you are getting sued.

People use "accident" all the time to describe negligent ****ed up behaviour. Thomspon never intended to burn her friend severely of course, that's why it's not criminal. But she was still reckless and severely injured someone.

This. I find it crazy how quickly people defend the multi-millionaires living lavish lives and diminish the victim who's quality of life has been drastically reduced.

I don't think Thompsen is a bad or dangerous person - which is why she is not facing any criminal charges. She was negligent and did something really stupid though, so her and Ceci (in the eyes of the law they are one) should provide significant compensation, especially since they can more than afford it.

I expect it to be settled relatively quickly. At least I hope it would be.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
It's actually kind of sad that it has seemingly come to this for Ceci/Thomson/Engel.

If I had made ~$17 million in my life and my fiance (accidentally) burned my good friend (or good friend's fiance) I'd like to think I'd front the money for the medical bills and such. You gotta think the relationship deteriorated pretty quick if the matter is with the courts.

Really horrifying situation regardless though. Kind of a reminder about how quickly things can change.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Equally important to remember when discussing our group of prospects (Verronneau, Abramov, Davidsson, Lajoie, Chlapik, etc), and our "haul" of picks in the next two drafts (6 2nd rounders).

Most of those players will never become impact NHLers, and the odds that they turn into a Stone, Karlsson or Duchene are miniscule.

This board, as a whole, overrates picks and prospects by a great deal.

Sometimes it feels like groundhog day. The prospect pool is always going to produce outsized amounts of studs. Then it doesn't. But .. then just wait until next year! The next group!

Reactions: Yak

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It's actually kind of sad that it has seemingly come to this for Ceci/Thomson/Engel.

If I had made ~$17 million in my life and my fiance (accidentally) burned my good friend (or good friend's fiance) I'd like to think I'd front the money for the medical bills and such. You gotta think the relationship deteriorated pretty quick if the matter is with the courts.

Really horrifying situation regardless though. Kind of a reminder about how quickly things can change.

It's exactly because he's made $17 million that this is occurring. You can't separate the two.

Because he has a large amount of assets, it is worth the benefit to the victim to try and secure significant damages as income replacement far and away above anything insurance would pay.

Combine that with her father being a lawyer in the area, yeah this was always gonna be the case.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Read the whole story. My speculation is that the daddy "ambulance chaser" lawyer pushed them to go all in on a lawsuit as stated to get some major cash.

I would think Ceci offered some kind of settlement before this $8M came about.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'd sue their asses too, doing dumb shit cuz you're drunk and not educating yourself on operating a device with serious hazards isn't an excuse.

Rich people are always at more risk for being sued because they have more to lose and are worth going after, boo hoo, they'll still live better than more than 99% of the population after the settlement, mean while this poor girls life is practically ruined.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Read the whole story. My speculation is that the daddy "ambulance chaser" lawyer pushed them to go all in on a lawsuit as stated to get some major cash.

I would think Ceci offered some kind of settlement before this $8M came about.

I would hope so. She definitely deserves some compensation. Anyone in that situation would.

My beef is the article itself. They talk like she had some amazing career or skills to make millions, and also added everyone in the family as plaintiffs. Makes it feel more like a big money grab than a legitimate claim for lost compensation. To ask for $8 million....that's really excessive, even considering they're starting high to get the price they want in negotiation.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I would hope so. She definitely deserves some compensation. Anyone in that situation would.

My beef is the article itself. They talk like she had some amazing career or skills to make millions, and also added everyone in the family as plaintiffs. Makes it feel more like a big money grab than a legitimate claim for lost compensation. To ask for $8 million....that's really excessive, even considering they're starting high to get the price they want in negotiation.
Actually that’s exactly how it works though. It’s painful and stressful and traumatizing to have a loved one severely injured. That person was removed from their daily lives by the negligence of one person. Compensation is owed to them as well.
Also, this young woman had her own yoga studio. How do you know it wouldn’t be the next Greco or Movati?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Actually that’s exactly how it works though. It’s painful and stressful and traumatizing to have a loved one severely injured. That person was removed from their daily lives by the negligence of one person. Compensation is owed to them as well.
Also, this young woman had her own yoga studio. How do you know it wouldn’t be the next Greco or Movati?

She can still have a yoga studio. As a matter of fact, she could use her injuries to help launch new services in the studio, specifically for those who have had injuries and need rehabilitation. Heck, that's one thing I'd be looking at long-term...not only as a new niche in the industry, but also as one of those inspirational life stories that have multiple areas of revenue streams.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Knew this lawsuit was coming.
Even if it was an accident, this is a girl that sued another company because their logo looked like hers and her dad is a lawyer.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
How did that turn out? Logos look fairly different to me, but I'm no marketing expert or lawyer.

I certainly hope it didn't turn out, can't imagine a bigger waste of time and money than that logo lawsuit. Especially if they need to prove the logo was inspired by hers, since there's a less than zero chance Lamelo Ball was driving down Carling one day and decided "oh hey, that would look good on my shoe".

Now this one against Ceci et. al is a different story; there's obviously grounds for significant compensation there and I hope she get's a considerable sum. Wouldn't wish what she went through on anyone.

OT: but thank god the music industry doesn't often have lawsuits over similar songs. Otherwise the Beatles would own Oasis and Nickelback would have sued themselves many times over.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I would have given a 3rd for erne. He stood out a lot for me in games last year. Extremely good at puck protection and can contribute from 3rd or 4th line. I know we have a kind of logjam of prospects atm but his puck protection was great. Maybe yzerman gets first dibs..

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Man, what is the delay?

Marner
Pettersson
Honka
Lemieux
Deangelo
Barbashev
Malgin
Puljujarvi
Perlini
Goldobin
Boeser
McAvoy
Carlo
Mangiapane
Tkatchuk
Beauvillier
Dal Colle
Zacha
Kempe
Point
Fiala
Eriksson EK
Konecny
Provorov
White
Werenski
Rantanen
Laine
Connor
Comrie

Remember when it was a big deal when Kyle Turris had not re-signed?

Reactions: Beville

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Man, what is the delay?

Marner
Pettersson
Honka
Lemieux
Deangelo
Barbashev
Malgin
Puljujarvi
Perlini
Goldobin
Boeser
McAvoy
Carlo
Mangiapane
Tkatchuk
Beauvillier
Dal Colle
Zacha
Kempe
Point
Fiala
Eriksson EK
Konecny
Provorov
White
Werenski
Rantanen
Laine
Connor
Comrie

Remember when it was a big deal when Kyle Turris had not re-signed?

They all have cheapo owners! :sarcasm:

back to reality.... CBA re-write pending and everyone wants to be paid. :eek:

Reactions: IamJust0ne

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

I mean he could probably get that here lol.

Also, why I get that players have to earn ice-time, struggling young forwards aren't helped by being stuck in the bottom 6.

Look at Turris:He was being underused in Phoenix and wasn't performing well at all: When he got to Ottawa and played next to Alfie he excelled.

Reactions: DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad